I want to build 2-way surround channel speakers for home theatre purpose

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Speaker building is always like working through a huge tasklist of finding compromises in different areas. And there is not one best compromise in any of these fields - one has to find the compromise that fits one personally the best or that is the best for a specific application.

The two advantages of bass reflex are reduced cone motion at the lower end of the passband and lower extension of the passband. The advantage of the sealed version is better transient response. This has all been discussed to death yet.

I'd just like to share my opinion on the transient part here. Really transient signals usually come from the family of the percussion instruments (there are others as well of course but I don't want to go through a huge list now). But the frequency range where musical instruments have fast rise- and decay properties is not the low bass range. Therefore I tend to use reflex tuning for speakers that extend low and closed-box tuning for speakers that don't go very low. Both types will then have about the same group-delay distortion in the frequency range where it counts most.

Regards

Charles

I want to buy Dayton Audio 10" woofer for Diy surround channels?

1. Please suggest me good quality Dayton 10" woofer for surround channel?
2. Does 10" Woofer size is enough for surround channel home theater or bigger size i need?
3. Frequency Response graph of Dayton Audio is misleading because it is 1/24th smooth?

How loud? Are there restrictions on size? Dispersion pattern? Full range or high passed at 80 Hz? Cost? What will you be using for midrange / treble?

Why only Dayton?

Usually surrounds are high passed at 80 Hz, so a 10" woofer is not required unless it must be loud. Then pro audio drivers come to mind, like the Dayton PA255, combined with a horn tweeter (Econowave?).

I want to use this woofer for 2-way surround channel for my home theater purpose. Since, you are mentioning pro audio drivers but it can't reproduce very low f3. Dolby digital recommends 20-20000 Hz surround channel. Is dolby digital recommend is valid ?
Since, it is for surround channel purpose so, i want good dispersion of 90 degree angle upto 1000 Hz.

HI Dipankar!

If you are using a sub, smaller is better. You also have to consider your living room. I have to stick to small surrounds because of the space I have available.

A good compromise is a 6.5" woofer. You can usually get an f3 around 40-60 Hz with the right design.

If you are interested in pro... I like these (at least on paper) a great deal

B&C 10PS26 is a 10" high power woofer - B&C 10PS26 Speakers - B&C 10" high power mid-bass speaker for 2 or 3-way systems. B&C 10PS26 high power bass speakers available now.

Best,

E

I want compatible tweeter for Dayton Audio RS180-8 7" Reference Woofer 8 Ohm ?

For T/S parameter and frequency response graph link: RS180-8 7" Reference Woofer 8 Ohm Specification Sheet

I want this woofer to build 2-way rear surround channels for my home theater purpose. My room dimension is 20X15X10 (i.e.Length x Width x Height) and average listening levels is 75-80 db.
Since, this woofer tends to loose directive pattern around 1200 hz and cone break up also starts above that frequency. So, i want tweeter for which i can crossover around 1000-1200 hz which will be ideal for this woofer.

Please suggest me compatible tweeter for this woofer. Your suggestion will be valuable for me.

Last edited:
I knew I'd seen a Dayton Audio RS180-8 design at Michael Chua's site, the Merlin: Double Chamber Reflex (DCR) by AmpsLab

Crossed at a sensible 2.5kHz to a 90dB SEAS 27TDFC:
H1189-06 27TDFC

That design is so versatile, I think you could use almost any 8 ohm 1" dome tweeter. You'd just adjust the 10 ohm input resistor to the tweeter filter for level. Michael Chua is a top man, IMO. Very clever. :cool:

BTW, don't believe all this stuff about the merits of low crossovers, and clearly Michael Chua has tested the Dayton driver here and probably knows what cone breakup sounds like. You just end up with rotten tweeter sound and poor power handling. Read the wise words of Lynn Olson on balancing the compromises of loudspeakers: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/190663-can-you-have-sparkling-treble-but-without-sibilance-2.html#post2604196

Last edited:
Note that I didn't say you couldn't cross that low, just that you need do one and/or two things (use a waveguide for the tweeter and/or a high-order filter on it) to prevent over-excursion and distortion on its low end. In my RS duets, which used the Dayton Audio RS225-8 with an RS28F (crossover designed by Mark Krawiec), the corner frequency is 1.4 kHz and the crossover is a Cauer-elliptic with an 8th-order slope. Usually, its best to cross no lower than 2 octaves above a tweeter's Fs unless special steps are taken.
Paul

But why crossing at 1-1.2 khz will not have good outcome if suppose the Fs of tweeter is 500-600 hz.

3-way or 2-way for surround channel speaker? Which is better?

In the market, I have seen lots of surround channel speaker of 2-way design and smaller woofer.
Does surround channel speakers need 3-way design and large Woofer for deep low frequency to maintain high fidelity sound in home theatre? Or is it unnecessary?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.