I thought I understood crossovers ....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
going from a 6db/octave butterworth lowpass @ 3200Hz to a 12db/octave chebychev @ 3200Hz made the midwoofer brighter, alot brighter.
I thought it would have cut out more of the higher frequencies not let more pass, what gives?
reason for going from butterworth to chebychev was that's what parts I had lying around to play with atm. same coil but added a 12uf cap.

With using the Chebyshev, you're getting a summing at the crossover frequency of around 6dB. If you want to use that crossover, don't crossover the woofer and tweeter at the same frequency. You'll get better summing by crossing over to the woofer lower and the tweeter higher by a factor of around 1.5.

So the woofer is calculated at 2133Hz and the tweeter at 4800Hz to give the best summing at 3200Hz.

Odd choice of crossover... any reason you went away from the 1st order and went for the 2nd order Chebyshev? Just curious and not being nasty.

here are the screencaps of harris tech x-over 2.0 I used to design these x-overs ....

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I went from 1st order bw to 2nd order cc cause that's what parts I had lying around to play with until I order some new parts for a 24db/octave lr x-over. After listening to this 1st order bw for a while, I might just order some good parts for it and leave it like it is, sounds pretty nice.

Attached is what the ideal frequency response of your Chebychev crossover looks like. The filter sections have very high Q, hence the large peaks. It's preferable to use Butterworth, Bessel or LR to avoid such peaks.

Attachments

• crossover.png
    crossover.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 322
I forgot to mention the fact that the tweeter wasn't hooked up during the test, I just wanted to see what effects the crossover had on the woofer. Seemed to remove some bass and let alot more treble through.

Madmike2 obviously you've never used x-over 2.0 ... I just put in "generic woofer and tweeter" for the name, specs are correct, just did that quick for the screenshots.

First order help

I am putting together a two way with a woofer that runs out to about 8K. The tweeter is recommended to crossover at 3500 Hz with 18 dB slope.
The woofer is down about 6 -7 db above 5K. I am thinking of crossing high, maybe 6 - 7K with first order slopes. Since the woofer rolls early, it seems plausible to cross it higher than the tweeter and use the natural rolloff to help with getting a flat response.
I am a single driver type. Do not want to use anything steeper than first order slopes if possible. Or should I use the recommended filter, cross both at 3500 - 4000 Hz and 3rd order slopes?
The woofer is an Eminence B102 and the tweeter an Eminence APT 80.

George

crossover

From the diagram it seems that the 2nd. order crossover has no impedance compensation on the low pass section. This can cause the shunt capacitor to resonate with the upper roll off of the driver causing a peak, including a zobel in the woofer circuit fixes this. In cheap commercial systems they just double the capacitor value. I hope this helps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.