I think I've condensed in only 4 Laws the guideline for the best-in-class audio chain

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm still waiting .....:D

Meanwhile, I draw conclusions ... :(

Hey Scott, I'm sorry for the controversy, but I see the FUD now ! ;)

The same is not my picture, quiet, huh? ! :D

If nobody risks, there will be no answer to the unknown, here it is said:

"Do not clarify giles, who turn against you"

Gil: Silly

This is definitely getting very difficult.

A perfect amplifier would create an infinitely accurate pulse to the coil, it would control the magnetic field perfectly, so it would be an infinite bandwidth, infinite low distortion, infinite power in raise and drop of voltages, it would tolerate any impedances, including capacitance, reactance, components heating up, and feedback would be infinite.

Like a vinyl cutting machines.

The result would be a very colored, distorted sound, as the driver would be pushed with too much energy, the coil would overheat very fast, and it would not enable the driver to dissipate the energy with the air damping, the electrical damping would be too much for the poor mechanical device to handle, you would have more THD in the end, and a very unpleasant sound.

Amps and speakers need synergy, there are no amplifier (this is very rare) which can sound at the best on all type of speakers.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Seasoned audiophiles know that certain group of the recordings sound great with certain type of equipments, but the same recordings sound questionable with the other type of equipments. I don’t think it’s a preference.
Audiophiles indeed.. It's a bad speaker that will massacre some recordings and not others. A good speaker will leave all recordings just as they were.

A perfect amplifier would create an infinitely accurate pulse to the coil, it would control the magnetic field perfectly, so it would be an infinite bandwidth, infinite low distortion, infinite power in raise and drop of voltages, it would tolerate any impedances, including capacitance, reactance, components heating up, and feedback would be infinite.

Like a vinyl cutting machines.

The result would be a very colored, distorted sound, as the driver would be pushed with too much energy, the coil would overheat very fast, and it would not enable the driver to dissipate the energy with the air damping, the electrical damping would be too much for the poor mechanical device to handle, you would have more THD in the end, and a very unpleasant sound.

Do you think Bruno Putsey and his collegues new amp will create more damage to and distortion from speaker than older designs?
Cheers!

Do you use it in the Class A or the Class AB mode?

dave

I couldn`t hear the difference on my aged Snell D and Dali 18 mk2, so I used it in class AB. The difference I heard? was compared to a Yamaha reciever that sounded great on my collegues Callas speakers when I sold it to him.

Cheers!

and if a low output impedance, will suffer from EMF getting back into the amp and potentially really scrrwing things up.

At least you qualified it as "potentially", too often this keeps being repeated until it turns into "class A/B amplifiers with feedback have an inherent flaw that can't be designed around".

Back EMF is usually a red flag like the one on oversized loads, watch out.

(to answer Guerrila) I watched a video on Youtube,

His speakers looked like quality, but I don't like multiple small drivers, I find it too low, just to please the audience, I don't buy constant directivity... what is that... no room treatments needed ... whatever, if it is KII audio, they have better system than I will ever get. I don't feel bad for it.

I heard the best pass labs, MBL, Moon, and I will never have the purchasing power or the need for this level of hifi.

If they have mega systems with 16 drivers, and huge rooms, I have no objection to the high power amps and achieving high realism and dynamism.

For my humble use, I prefer a more delicate system and less realism. I am happy about my choices.

For example when being social, having an old ghettoblaster or similar, -lets you hear even agressive music as background without it being intrusive.

When I was a teenager we had a phillips with 2 4 inch fulltones. Was very good. Espesially playing semiloud outdoors. Everything sounded alright

Cheers!

Last edited:
Allan, thanks for the link to the Purifi products - interesting white paper by Bruno to be found there. I note that NAD has licensed use of his latest circuit topology for new products. Is anyone aware of any commercial or amateur speaker designs using the new PTT6.5 driver?

. I’m currently quite enjoying my Mod286 amp - far more so than the putatively higher powered Hypex UCD, or the NP ACA Class A.
Could this partly stem from the Modulos having a more optimal amount of gain for your listening level, so that you dont have to attenuate, and thereby throw away the good signal to noise ratio of the gear before final amplification?

I think that it was in a thread on this forum, that someone made me aware that attenuating a signal kills the quality. Similar to digital volume control kills dynamics when turned down a lot.

This is mostly ignored when people recommend which amplifier to buy on HiFi-forums. I also used to think I would naturally get the best sound if i bought a compagnys top of the line most powerfull amp.
Cheers!

Could this partly stem from the Modulos having a more optimal amount of gain for your listening level, so that you dont have to attenuate, and thereby throw away the good signal to noise ratio of the gear before final amplification?

No. It is impossible to generalise based on this. Those amps are so different in topology there are plenty more important considerations pertaining to their sound.

Interestingly, the very successful Naim integrated amps have excessive gain forcing users to apply a high degree of attenuation for normal listening. There are the usual complaints about channel tracking and volume resolution but seldom about the sound.

I used to worry about that, it's measurable though and not an issue in a good amp. Gain structure is an important consideration in any audio chain.

Guerilla, this is not the case about amps and gain, I used to believe that.

Like analog_sa said, the topology is more important. If one amp has 20db gain and the other 30, you are not going to get better sound because you use a 20db gain amplifier.

A 10db gain amp with 2 stages with volume to max vs a 40db amp with volume to minimum (lot of signal to ground) makes 0 difference.

it is what it does internally and at the output of the signal. The volume control is linear, the noise is mostly parasitics and likely to increase as the volume is going up with less path to ground.

However, there is a limit, if you have a 40db gain amp and a 40 db gain preamp, you might be better getting rid of the pre-amp, it is unnecessary. If the preamp is very good the audible difference should be just subtle.

I cannot say it more, there is no relationship between the amount of gain and sound quality.... always aim for more gain than necessary.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.