i need some help with amps...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bryston

i can say
BRYSTON BRYSTON BRYSTON BRYSTON BRYSTON BRYSTON BRYSTON BRYSTON BRYSTON BBRYSTON BRYSTON BRYSTON RYSTON BRYSTON BRYSTON BRYSTON BRYSTON BRYSTON BRYSTON BRYSTON BRYSTON

get them there awsom i have never seen one com into a reapir shop NEVER there awsome verry reliable too i once seen about 15 of them in a rack mount for home stereo and it was nice.. it looked better than stars in the sky at night all them pritty glowing lights AHHHHH druel..

Jason

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Slice, with that budget you can definitly afford Brystons. Even in their multi-channel amps, every channel is a completely separate (except the power cord) mono-bloc.

They have some nice 3, 4, and 5 channel amps, plate amps, and stereo amps (these usually bridgable into mono). For your needs i'd suggest 4 - 4Bs. (i lust after a pr of 4Bs to drive my woofers -- no way i can afford them thou).

They are a favorite of many, many of the mixing studios where THX movies are mixed.

They are rugged. I used 4 - 4Bs & 2 3Bs in my PA for years. Did i say they were rugged. They come with a 20 year waranty because they mostly don't need it. In the one case i had to replace a module, i had it in 24 hrs and it took less then 30 min to put in.

And they sound good. Really good. The old ones don't sound as good as the new STs which have a Stereopile Class A rating -- and in this case i have to agree with them.

I have met Chris & Steve Russell personally (we were an early Bryston hifi dealer when i worked hifi) and they are stand-up guys.

Go to Bryston's website and read all the newsletters.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
GlennME said:
Once again, a little reminder; your choice is limited to amplifiers that run on the 240 volt power system used in Australia.

Glenn you are confusing me... i'm guessing Slice is saying he is from california given the CA as location.

That said Brystons can also be had in 240V.

And the Crown -- i doubt it will hold a candle to the Bryston.

And another note... all the Brystons have been revved to SSTs with a nominal price increase kicking in next week. Had a quick listen to the new 3B SST -- seems an improvement over the 3B ST.

dave

talking of griff.... heres a link for ya slice, a cheap new bryston.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?ampstran&1028481335

I dont know if it is just me, but is $10000 USD a real lot of money to spend for a guy who is really really new in the realm of audio. Slice, whats the motivation here?
8 channels??? come on, we are only upto mainstream 5.1, why not buy the 5, and see how you go, then add a few more later on.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
griff said:
mainstream 5.1, why not buy the 5

I agree totally... but 5.1 needs 6 amps. I think slice also mentioned that he is a couple years out from getting everything together, and at 17, in 2 years a lot can happen -- girls for instance.

For a real kick-*** system, i'd also be looking at multi-way active systems with a whole bunch of smaller amps...

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
griff said:
They are far too good to waste on a subbie ;), though it would be incredibly cool. Try something more like an Adire audio 700watt thing for the bass, they cost around $500USD and have all the active Xovers and things like that built in.

I'll get the Brystons only if they fall off the back of the truck. I need 4 channels to drive my subs -- i'll probably use either 4-25W gain-clones or 4-25W AKSAs.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.