I need a Buffer with gain?

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
So why not also stop any discussion about tubes ?

Ah, but tubes are still being made, right ?
JFETs are also still being made, BTW.
Just that they are called LSK170 / LSJ74.
Not to mention all the active JFETs in SMD.

Cheers,
Patrick
OK, I clearly wrote 2SK170/2SJ74 so the original Toshiba ones that are not produced anymore for many many years (maybe even decades?!).

Choosing active and easy to obtain parts instead of unobtainium obsolete parts in new DIY projects would be a courtesy to builders, no more no less. Promoting obsolete parts probably leads to fake/relabeled parts, extreme prices and countless threads on whether they are original or not, "my B1 does not sound right" etc. If you see the trade in both original and fake 2SK170/2SJ74 you just know there is a point in what I am saying. A search on this forum will reveal that. When I wanted to build a simple 2SK170/2SJ74 buffer as of course I like the simplicity of the circuit with just 2 active parts I even got fake ones from a distributor here.

Did I tell about my new DAC design project for members here based on (BYO) TDA1541A S2? :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

OK, I clearly wrote 2SK170/2SJ74 so the original Toshiba ones that are not produced anymore for many many years (maybe even decades?!).

Choosing active and easy to obtain parts instead of unobtainium obsolete parts in new DIY projects would be a courtesy to builders, no more no less. Promoting obsolete parts probably leads to fake/relabeled parts, extreme prices and countless threads on whether they are original or not, "my B1 does not sound right" etc. If you see the trade in both original and fake 2SK170/2SJ74 you just know there is a point in what I am saying. A search on this forum will reveal that. When I wanted to build a simple 2SK170/2SJ74 buffer as of course I like the simplicity of the circuit with just 2 active parts I even got fake ones from a distributor here.

Did I tell about my new DAC design project for members here based on (BYO) TDA1541A S2? :)
just look at the store....https://diyaudiostore.com/collections/frontpage/products/matched-jfets

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The entire kit is very flexible, so we are talking essentials, pcb and base level semis.

No hardware or capacitors and only resistors essential to semi Idss values.

It covers store margins, but probably not postage. Again, my estimate.

:snail:

Reactions: 5 users
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I also happen to have one, only one SMD Toshiba dual JFET (still active at Mouser / DK).
Else all low-noise Toshiba SMD BJTs.
Zero global feedback, stable with any gain, very low noise and distortion.
Can drive 32 ohm headphone also by adding 2x TO220 devices.

View attachment 1092826

Probably not as cheap as Nelson's, but no NOS unobtainiums.

Cheers,
Patrick
Hi Patrick, did you publish this one?

Reactions: 1 user
So we were discussing earlier a super simple discrete line stage with gain that can swing about 45 volts.
I thought this one from Broskie might also qualify for that ?
You just need to find a FET substitute for the ECC99. :giggle:

Super-Simple Gnd-K Line Stage Amplifier.png

Patrick