I impulsively bought this woofer...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The cube box is ungodly loud. @.@ 100w rattles everything in the livingroom. It would be great for sound reinforcement but lacks deap bass. It's very "punchy" and kick drums slam your chest. I ran out of 4" pipe to try longer ports.

Oh look that's just what I said it would be like :D

The second enclosure is sort of strange. If I use a shorter 4" long port (44hz) the deep bass extends lower then with the 10" port (34hz). I'm not sure why. I haven't had a chance to drive it hard yet. The kids went to bed.

This could be that the higher tuning maintains a flatter response down to lower frequencies, i.e. the longer port makes a droopy response. 40Hz actually sounds pretty deep and below that it becomes more of a feeling than a sound, so if you are getting that low it could appear that the higher tuning has better bass.

Wow. If you're thinking about a port that big why not consider a PR and avoid the majority of the fluid losses associated with a port the size of Texas?

I'm not aware of the losses you speak of. Near as I can tell the bad things are that the port length increases and because of that you can get port resonance behavior....

Trade you bad stuff I have never heard of for the very bad stuff like port compression, air turbulence and chuffing.

And the idea people can hear all these reflections from a large port... well with a crossover set the only thing you are hearing are distortion products... Minimize that and your golden. Large ports minimize distortion at higher spl and @ lower SPL, distortion should not be significant.

Hi,
those are nice specs.
8mm of Xmax in an 18inch is unusually high.
The Qts=0.22 indicates a good motor.

Keep going.

I have a twin 18inch with twin 8inch vents in a 300litre enclosure with similar specs (before I added some cone mass) and only 4mm Xmax and it turned out to sound great.

Acheron : Screen Channel Loudspeaker System

If you take a look at this you can see that meyer sound agrees... Subwoofers benefit from large ports. Guessing that's about around about 4x10" dia. port area for just 2 15" woofers. By that standard my suggested single 8" port is tiny. Winisd alpha will model airspeeds, check it out.

4" and 6" ports are creating distortion.

Last edited:
4" and 6" ports are creating distortion.

A single 4" created a lot of noise but with two 4" or a single 6" I didn't detect any port noise at the levels I've been driving it even when I listen with the port facing me. I believe that's do to it's low xmax. This speaker doesn't seem to be particularly efficient at very low frequencies where higher volumes of air are moving. I never believed it to live up to audiophile expectations anyways. After all, it came off a table at a swap meet.

I enjoyed building the enclosures and experimenting to see how good I could get it. I've decided on a 24x24x16 enclosure with two 4" ports. My guitarist friend plugged in his bass with a 500w head and it liked it but it would need tweeters to be desired by a bassist. Looks like it will serve it's life as a PA sub. I'm sure I can find a DJ who would like it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.