I don't believe cables make a difference, any input?

Status
Not open for further replies.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
fredex said:

No offence taken, but why do you think that ?

Hi,

What I'm referring to is the example you gave describing that when you switched cable A for cable B, you expressed a preference for cable B.
You add to that that even though you weren't consciously aware of your preference you may have had this preference unconsciously.

Surely you must be aware in a conscious way as I'm having a hard time believing it was the first time you plugged in cable B?

So, why stop at that and find out if your preference for B is repeatable or not or if it's just your mind playing tricks with you?
IOW, if the test is not carried out correctly it has no value and you may as well hold a preference based on perceived value of a product, e.g. it's expensive so it must be good, it's been said to good by the marketeers, etc.

That's why it's so important to repeat tests in a controlled, blind (both visually and mentally if you catch my drift) manner so no external factors can influence the end results.
Participants in tests are often fooled by the mere fact that they're supposed to expect a difference in product A or B and often aren't even aware of their expectations and their eagerness to please the tester.

That's why I stated that your example isn't any different from what some audiophiles unknowingly experience when they swap cables.

Ciao, ;)

SY said:

Agree 100% which is why I laugh about those marginally stable "high end" amps, designed rather than engineered, that are termed "particularly revealing of cable differences." There's a certain British amp that comes to mind...

If I heard a difference between reasonably competent cables (anything as good or better than my beloved orange extension cord), I would first kick myself for having done a poor job engineering my amplifier, then I'd go find my mistake and fix it.

Does this mean that if you try a cheaper or other cable that for some reason makes your amp sound better than does your orange cable,you will still look for a "mistake" in your amp's design,fix it and throw the orange cable away? :) :) :) Will this make your amplifier "better",or,"different" ?

fdegrove said:
Hi, What I'm referring to is the example you gave describing that when you switched cable A for cable B, you expressed a preference for cable B.
You add to that that even though you weren't consciously aware of your preference you may have had this preference unconsciously.
Surely you must be aware in a conscious way as I'm having a hard time believing it was the first time you plugged in cable B?
Ciao, ;)

Hi fdegrove, you have misunderstood my posts (they are a little tongue in cheek I'll admit) The gist of it is just this;

I swap a cable I report a change in sound but unlike others I do not ascribe the change in sound to the new cable. If it is not the cable itself responsible for the change then it is likely that I imagined a change, and that is what I believe, as the next day the system sounded exactly the way it did with the old cable.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
fredex said:

as the next day the system sounded exactly the way it did with the old cable.

I know that one...makes one think if its a matter of ones ears/brain/room etc. having reached the personal highest peak of sound, with no more coming:bawling:

I have said before that I believe that the psycho aspect doesnt last long and only works on short terms

But like fredex I have made many improvements through crossover adjustments, genuine improvements which are exciting fore a while, but slowly things seems to turn into "normal" where sound is just sound, flawless boring sound

I think we just get bored very quickly, and demands changes all the time, at least I do

I have realised that I may have to build something completely different, to experience a lasting change, well as long as that may last

Or maybe perfection is the enemy...mostly its the small imperfections that makes certain things interesting, making them alive, teasing our brain and feelings
:clown:

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
btw

Fredex, I am certain that the change and improvement you experienced is genuine
I am quite sure that if an experienced and open minded listener prefers one over the other its perfectly valid
But its so small that you cant remember it the next day
Also, like I said, I think we may have a kind of personal reference that we tend to fall back on, if its within certain limits of the brains capabilities
It may be that a completely different setup/topology is needed to really experience a lasting change

tinitus said:
...........But like fredex I have made many improvements through crossover adjustments, genuine improvements which are exciting fore a while, but slowly things seems to turn into "normal" where sound is just sound, flawless boring sound

I think we just get bored very quickly, and demands changes all the time, at least I do ......................

tinitus. I am into series 6db crossovers at the moment because I was bored. But I have to say the 'changes' in the sound seem mighty real to me, in fact compared to cable swapping it is cheese and chalk, a whole different ball game. I just hope that I never get so bored that I start looking at cables again..............I actually prayed to the audio gods to be spared.

Status
Not open for further replies.