I am not HarryHaller!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Changes aren't always progress!

I was born and have lived the bulk of my life in Greenville, SC.

As a child and then later as a teenager, we never locked our doors - nor did any of our neighbors. I never even had a key to the house, because it was never locked.

For about five years now I have had a monitored alarm system.

Progress!

Ken

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
EURO-CRIMI

Hi Bouke,

Good thing you live in Enschede then?;)

It's a bleeding pain,I teel you that much.
A bike is not the end of the world but wait till it happens to cars as well.
Anyone dare to accompany me to Brazil?
I may need some body guards?
Wanna hear some stories about my last trips over?:mad:

Sigh....:bawling:

fdegrove,

Well, Enschede is a student city, because of the University here. There is an overkill on bicycles here... But the main advantage is that there are less junks here :).

You should try Kenia instead! You won't survive without living within guarded concrete walls... Every white man is assumed to be an affiliate with the Shell company, which kindof didn't do much good there but poison the corrupt government... :(

I don't blame them though... It's the western world that still leech out the third world countries...

Bouke

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
SORRY EXCUSE

Hi Bouke,

Here is where I disagree:

I don't blame them though... It's the western world that still leech out the third world countries...

In my book there is no excuse for theft.
I tend to agree that multinationals like the one you mention exploit the entire population,on the other hand they also bring some sort of welfare by their mere presence.
When travelling I always try to blend in as much as possible: no luxury,no jewels,no camera,not even a watch.
When you make an effort to speak the local language and mix with the locals they will quite often give you free advise,even protect you.

I hear Nigeria is really awfull on fraud,corruption and crime in general.
I've seen some of their scams myself and some of them are at a multi billion dollar level.

It ain't pretty.;)

Disabled Account
Joined 2001
One of those countries have been running a scam for a number of years. They send you a really flash looking letter saying you have won first prize of a million dollars in an "International lottery" and would you please send them your bank account number and a specimen signature so they can deposit the one million dollars into your account.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
SCAM

Hi,

At the time I still had my own company I received a pile of very official looking letters from ex-ministers or such from Nigeria gently explaining they had made a couple of million USD overcharging an oil project for the government.

They then went on that they couldn't get it out of the country without our help and if we would be so kind as to give our bankaccount number so they could have it wired over to us.
Then they would come over later to pick it up and we would receive the ridiculously generous amount of 40% on the total sum.

Yeah!Right.

Guess what happened to the idiots supplying their accounts...

Oh well,;)

Say what, Bubba?

I have been holding back on even mentioning him. He deserves the SinBin for a long time. I just hope the American people get off their butts and give him a good spanking on Tuesday.

You may not want to quit your day job to become a political pundit.

Oh, why not. You would have just as good a chance of being right as the ones we already have.

:smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:

Jocko

It may sound like a joke but I do actually know (and it is NOT a friend) a person that not only fell for the Nigerian scam but he also went down there to negotiate and was seized and then released after negotiations by the CEO of the very large company he worked for. Apparently a ransom was involved.

When he came back he sent a postcard to his colleagues saying that "The eagle has landed" and when he first showed up in the office he gave everybody a very famous Swedish cake which is essentially a chocolate ball with sugar or coconut on the outside. This cake is incidently called (and I am not being rasist here at all - it is actually just a name) "negro balls"...

Wow, is that bright....

/UrSv

diyAudio Retiree
Joined 2002
I’m not Harry

I’m not Harry, My name is Julie.
Harry left you years ago.
My eyes are not blue, but mine won’t leave you
‘Till the sunlight has touched your face.

Attachments

• girl.jpg
    girl.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 152
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
GREED

Hi guys,

It may sound like a joke but I do actually know (and it is NOT a friend) a person that not only fell for the Nigerian scam but he also went down there to negotiate and was seized and then released after negotiations by the CEO of the very large company he worked for. Apparently a ransom was involved.

Indeed that was often one of their suggestions.
Them being Nigerian citizens they were bound by law and couldn't leave the country with such vast sums of cash.
So they invited you over to do the job for them.
And people actually fell for that??

In Belgium the government put out a warning to the public ,so I can imagine there must have been more than just a single complaint.

Ubelievable.:rolleyes:

Cheers,;)

The usual one is the advance fee fraud - "I'm a slightly crooked public official and I can lay my hands on $9000 billion, but I can't use it unless I get it out of the country and that going to cost me $5000, if you let me use your bank account to transfer the money into I'll let you have 25%, but I'll need the $5000 to get the money out to you". Mug gives them $5k, no money but further calls "more problems, nearly got it out, but have to bribe X which I didn't foresee, whole deal will fall apart unless I can get another $10k, if you won't do it I'll have to go with Mug B who has said he will". Mug hands over more cash, repeat ad nauseam until mug realises he's a skint mug. The fact that the deal was said to be crooked in the first place means that skint mug generally is too scared/embarassed to report it to anyone.

[edit -whoops, thoroughly explained by Frank a page ago]

Jake

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
CROOKS

Hi,

"I'm a slightly crooked public official and I can lay my hands on $9000 billion, but I can't use it unless I get it out of the country and that going to cost me $5000, if you let me use your bank account to transfer the money into I'll let you have 25%, but I'll need the $5000 to get the money out

Seems you kept a copy of one of those letters!
This is almost literally how a couple of these started.

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.