I always knew that men are better listeners ... ;-)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I can count the amount of women I dated that cared about sound quality on one hand--and still have 4 fingers left.

About 20 years ago, my new girl friend told me that her stereo sounded bad. The vocals were "edgy", it had no bass to speak of and the highs either did not exist or were a mess.

In her living room was a Quadraphonic reciever--complete with wood side panels, Yamaha CD player and some form of record player (not used) I found the problem, a pair of Bose 101 plastic speakers. The next day I took care of the speaker problem, swapped out the Bose plastics for JBL ProIII speakers (5" woofer/1" Ti tweeter) and she loved the sound! It was very strange to hear a women talking about vocal quality, the delicate highs and respectable bass (for what they were). I was happy not to listen to plastic speakers--a win/win situation.

The girl was a "minimalist" or the type of person that hates excess junk laying around. I owned more pair of shoes than she did (it's true!) When she moved, her entire 4 bedroom house was packed in a 20 foot U-Haul since she liked empty spaces.

The fish that go away--although I don't think she would like my 3.5 cubic foot subwoofer and the 6 foot tall arrays under construction for the garage.

If you're like my wife you have so many clothes that you only ever wore once and some from so long ago that no one would remember you wearing it but you still "have nothing to wear".
I'll bet you have a shelf of DVDs you look at and say, "Awww, nothing to watch!"

You have to look at a woman's closet as a scapbook full of old memories.

On the other hand, shoes are collectables!

A first step would be to know the percentage of females in this forum, a second step to see if their approach is different. Do they act as females once they enter in a "men's" hobby, or do they do something specific ?
Interesting question. I don't think there are enough females on this forum to provide "significant data", and this place is all about significant data.

Which makes me wonder..... are there more females on the "golden ear" sites?

I can count the amount of women I dated that cared about sound quality on one hand--and still have 4 fingers left.

About 20 years ago, my new girl friend told me that her stereo sounded bad. The vocals were "edgy", it had no bass to speak of and the highs either did not exist or were a mess.

In her living room was a Quadraphonic reciever--complete with wood side panels, Yamaha CD player and some form of record player (not used) I found the problem, a pair of Bose 101 plastic speakers. The next day I took care of the speaker problem, swapped out the Bose plastics for JBL ProIII speakers (5" woofer/1" Ti tweeter) and she loved the sound! It was very strange to hear a women talking about vocal quality, the delicate highs and respectable bass (for what they were). I was happy not to listen to plastic speakers--a win/win situation.

The girl was a "minimalist" or the type of person that hates excess junk laying around. I owned more pair of shoes than she did (it's true!) When she moved, her entire 4 bedroom house was packed in a 20 foot U-Haul since she liked empty spaces.

The fish that go away--although I don't think she would like my 3.5 cubic foot subwoofer and the 6 foot tall arrays under construction for the garage.

that girl was a keeper :D

SO, very little women here. As obviously many of them like music, play music, go to concert hall, it's not a question of sensibility. Maybe women enjoy more the result that the journey to it, maybe they are more realist and will not waste time for running after hypothetical results.
If not so, we would see a lot of women shoes or bags DIYers.

PS: IMHO, shoes are not only collectable but also disposable.

SO, very little women here. As obviously many of them like music, play music, go to concert hall, it's not a question of sensibility. Maybe women enjoy more the result that the journey to it, maybe they are more realist and will not waste time for running after hypothetical results.
If not so, we would see a lot of women shoes or bags DIYers.

PS: IMHO, shoes are not only collectable but also disposable.

I think a lot of it has to do with women being more into the artistic side of things. They enjoy music, live performances and artistic integrity as much as we do or more, but on the technical end of reproduction, they don't seem to be driven as much. They appreciate a good sounding system, but it's taken at face value, the road that was taken to achieve it seems to be of little interest.

It's kinda like how women tend to enjoy decorating a house and making it their own, but they don't tend to have much interest in it's construction. Women tend to be irritated by a badly colored wall, rather than knowing that the studs are/aren't on proper 16" centers.

Now I know that this is a broad generalization and I know there are more than likely hundreds of exceptions, but it seems to be generally accurate.

Few years back me and fellow audiophile were comparing kimber vs Mit speaker cables on his Maggies.After few hours repeating the same tracks we could not agree which cable was better match.His wife came by to listen and after 30 seconds she commented how the mit was ''Bad'' with the low frequency.She clearly could here the difference!

Well said Doctor...I think of an other point, most of the classic composers are men, with very little exceptions (Hildegard Von Bingen in the middle age). Ok, this can be related to the feminine condition of the past, but this is coherent with the observations before. Many women play, very little compose.

As far as the "technical end of reproduction" goes, why be Beethoven when you can be Beethoven's mother? :cloud9:

And while the need for many sizes makes shoes difficult, there are certainly plenty of DIY bag ladies out there.

And yes, women's shoes are disposable. That's why we need so many!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.