Hypothesis as to why some prefer vinyl: Douglas Self

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You're right Doug, I'm significantly out with dates. Either way I'd take the direct to disc, none delayed, none variable pitch drive over the other option.

None of which changes the fact that a personal preference isn't indicative of any technical superiority or that a technically superior option will always be perceived to sound better.

Just think of all those well measured bland amps out there... Even posh restaurants have table salt

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Because when you set out to fool people, you usually will. It's not all that difficult.

Yes, in the end it comes down to this. Salesmen, demo's, guru's, all trying to influence you to entertain thoughts that are advantageous to them.

I think that is the basic thing you see in a lot of audio opinion, and the awareness of it by some here lies at the basis of the call for controlled testing to try to put some sense in all the stories, opinions and views.

Thing is, once you have convinced yourself that brand xxx and model yyy sounds the best of all, you are not at all interested in finding out whether it objectively really sounds best. In fact, there's a lot of evidence that your unconscious will actively work to prevent you from ever finding out. Avoid damage to the ego at all cost.

Aren't humans fascinating? ;)

Jan

I listen to digitally recorded music as well as vinyl and shellac records going back 115 years. I'm also involved in electronic music creation released over the internet. In 2016 we will be funding an LP. It's a vanity project, to be able to "drop a needle" onto a record containing music that we've created. The music will be compromised at times to meet the limitations vinyl imposes on dynamic range and bass response. But it will be more tangible than a download or even a CD.

There is something about playing a record, 78, 45rpm single or LP, that digital media doesn't have, particularly with older direct cut shellac discs. I like the sound, but it doesn't mean that "like" is better or more accurate.

I belive that vinyl sounds better, not because of its imperfections or limitation to what's actually on the record, but rather because a lot of the vinyl limitations are a result of the mechanical motion to electrical signal that takes place in the cartridge. Motion to electrical through coils in a magnet gap is the exact opposite of the electrical signal to motion that takes place in loudspeakers. Maybe the turntable system suits the speakers better, and as a system they perform better together

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Just think of all those well measured bland amps out there... Even posh restaurants have table salt

What is 'bland'? Given that most amplifiers that review as 'exciting' have some performance issue, does suggest that 'bland' means it's doing its job and being neutral.

Some posh restaurants you have to ask for salt. The chef takes offense if you think he has not seasoned it to perfection...

yes your quite right. which by your own admission and in my view makes vinyl a flawed playback medium. now we have journalists tell us why we like this flawed playback medium....

Mike Ewins is not a journalist, but rather a serious researcher. His recent published work was remarkably clever and perfectly illustrated why satisfaction in a medium is not just related to sound.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Thing is, once you have convinced yourself that brand xxx and model yyy sounds the best of all, you are not at all interested in finding out whether it objectively really sounds best.
Aren't humans fascinating? ;)

Jan

You can make it work in your favour. I have a dpa phono stage that I picked up for £30 on ebay as I needed something. Checking the reviews it was universally dismissed as lacking 'PRAT' compared to say the Linn or Naim phono stages. I took that as meaning it was neutral. One day ought to measure it and see how good it is. But from a tech perspective the sheer lunacy of a two man operation using thick film hybrid op-amps gives it an extra mind boost. :)

An additional effect

There is an additional effect that has yet to be mentioned. Consider the typical setup, with the phonograph perhaps 10 feet from the speakers. There is definitely a feedback path from the sound of the speakers, thru the air, delayed by perhaps 10 milliseconds, to the tone-arm/cartridge, and back out the speakers again. It first came to my attention many years ago while taping a copy of a record for a friend while I was practicing saxophone in the same room. There was a very clear (but low level) recording of my saxophone practicing on the tape along with the duplicate of the record.

How significant is the effect? I'm sure that some experiments could be designed (e.g. isolating the turntable to a soundproof closet) to see if this effect is significant.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
given the popularity of the minus-k platform I would suggest minimal. Even Fremer loves it. If airbourne vibrations rather than floor bound are really causing feedback you need a system with a lid.

Testing should be easy enough with any record with a locked blank groove.

That might be. One of the things about vinyl that I notice is now gone with CD is the kind of thrilling anticipation that I used to feel when the stylus was first set down onto a disk, playing nothing yet except LF noise. It had a feeling of life to it, definitely artificial, but seeming real none the less. Of course, if this was added to CD on purpose, I'd probably find it annoying, knowing that it needn't be there!

That is an interesting perceptual observation. My quick recollection is that most (all?) CDs seem not to generate that same such sense of anticipation.

There is an additional effect that has yet to be mentioned. Consider the typical setup, with the phonograph perhaps 10 feet from the speakers. There is definitely a feedback path from the sound of the speakers, thru the air, delayed by perhaps 10 milliseconds, to the tone-arm/cartridge, and back out the speakers again. It first came to my attention many years ago while taping a copy of a record for a friend while I was practicing saxophone in the same room. There was a very clear (but low level) recording of my saxophone practicing on the tape along with the duplicate of the record.

How significant is the effect? I'm sure that some experiments could be designed (e.g. isolating the turntable to a soundproof closet) to see if this effect is significant.

Some believe that the same mechanical feedback path likewise contributes to the sound character of vacuum tube amplifiers.

given the popularity of the minus-k platform I would suggest minimal. Even Fremer loves it. If airbourne vibrations rather than floor bound are really causing feedback you need a system with a lid.

Testing should be easy enough with any record with a locked blank groove.
depending on the volume a closed lid can actually make it worse as it acts like a sound chamber.

no! but do you have any to the contrary?

you do know that a stylus emits sound when tracking the groove.. dont believe me then stick a microphone inside your turntable with the lid closed. i suppose you could also try this to determine whether what i said about a closed lid acting like a sound chamber when the volume is turned up and the turntable is in the same room as the speakers. i would be very interested in those findings.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
no! but do you have any to the contrary?

you do know that a stylus emits sound when tracking the groove.. dont believe me then stick a microphone inside your turntable with the lid closed. i suppose you could also try this to determine whether what i said about a closed lid acting like a sound chamber when the volume is turned up and the turntable is in the same room as the speakers. i would be very interested in those findings.

Well when I close my lid I can no longer hear the stylus chatter, which suggests the lid is doing its job and acting as acoustic attenuation. As the lid is made from lossy material and does not form a seal it is unlikely to have any significant Q in what resonances occur, and if the spls in the room reach the level that the lid starts flapping my hearing will have been irreparably damaged.

I've seen Jools Holland's big band a few times. They use a roughly 18" square piece of the same sort of perspex as turntable lids are made from behind each microphone. These act to reflect the sound back so the player can hear themselves and also attenuate the brass so you get less breakthrough to other mics.

Perspex and related plastics are good for noise reduction. for example Blendtec Q-Series Sound Enclosure . As the material is not directional it will give the noise reduction in either direction.

Oddly no where can I find the use of a perspex box as a resonator to increase sound levels. Sure some loon has made speakers out of it at some stage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.