Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Calin, but Bruno prefers silence (this is a commercial thread anyway now), so I decided to leave the shepherd and his herd in piece....:)

The objective herd are kinda wild sheep that cannot be trusted nor satisfied easily.
There is little room in that herd for gurus who hold some hidden knowledge or supernatural powers.

The subjective herd, on the other hand, does need herding and there are plenty of shepherds out there willing to guide them to their "truth".
If some people think Bruno is one of them, that's their issue. I guess one who needs to have faith will find a way to ... believe, even if you make it clear there is nothing of that sort going on.
You cannot deny a sale, after all, though Bruno does try (e.g. he's not willing to entertain people with cable talk etc.), which I'm sure makes Hypex's accountants pretty sad and your comments about this being handled as a "commercial thread" pretty meaningless..

Bruno is certainly talented but his main advantage is that he knows his math and the basic principles/theory his work is based upon.
I am impressed by his knowledge and general skill-set but I'm even more impressed by the fact that.... I find myself impressed by something which should be taken for granted.
In other words, I'm more impressed by the number of "engineers" out there who are ignorant of the aforementioned fundamentals.
It's not surprising they resort to herding sheep.
It is surprising, though, to see people in need of herding pestering one of the few people who are not willing to do so.

Last edited:
Are the improvements mostly in the input stage rather than the output stage? Is the output stage, in fact, pretty similar?
It's mainly the thing in the middle that has changed i.e. the modulator and the feedback loop. The power stage has certainly improved in its own right but that's not where the big impact lies. The input stage is also better than the one it replaces but under normal circumstances both contribute way less distortion than the rest of the amp so this is more to be seen as an act of perfectionism (or less charitably: suboptimization) rather than something fundamental.

Last edited:
Volume control with potentiometer was really bad, digital volume control was good. We could easily recognize blind the kind of volume control. This difference was bigger than comparing the same recording in 24 bit 48 kHz and redbook quality.

Can you please comment on the impedance of the volume pot and output impedance of the source feeding the pot?

Thanks,

Mark.

Can you please comment on the impedance of the volume pot and output impedance of the source feeding the pot?

+1

There seem to be a few hidden variables, stuff like wiring. Also, if the connection is balanced there's not really a good way to insert a pot. I'm no fan of passive controllers but I have heard passive controllers sound really good.

Currently have the following setup:

W4S DAC2 -> balanced > 2xUCD400HG > 2xB&W 802Di

I want to replace the UCD's for Ncore's, but I'm a bit afraid of DC going to the B&W's. The DAC2 has no caps on the output, the Ncore's none on the input.
What brand/value of caps is a good recommendation to safeguard the speakers, yet keep a decent sound quality?
Furthermore, how to configure those when using balanced in/outs?

And a second question - Can hypex provide cables for a single PSU -> 2 modules? I know I can "roll my own" but here in Belgium it's always a search to get the right connectors & tools for the job.

Thanks

Last edited:
Currently have the following setup:

W4S DAC2 -> balanced > 2xUCD400HG > 2xB&W 802Di

I want to replace the UCD's for Ncore's, but I'm a bit afraid of DC going to the B&W's. The DAC2 has no caps on the output, the Ncore's none on the input.
What brand/value of caps is a good recommendation to safeguard the speakers, yet keep a decent sound quality?
Furthermore, how to configure those when using balanced in/outs?

And a second question - Can hypex provide cables for a single PSU -> 2 modules? I know I can "roll my own" but here in Belgium it's always a search to get the right connectors & tools for the job.

Thanks

i am sure w4s have a dc servo so there will be no dc at the output.

you can test it yourself with DMM especialy the first seconds you power up

the dac before you add caps.

i wouldn`t use one psu with your speakers.

Re 1 vs 2 supplies: can you make a picture of your set-up? More precisely the input wiring. Connecting 2 modules on 1 supply creates a ground loop which should be shorted out somewhere between the amp and the source. The most obvious place to do so of course is at the XLR's (by way of connecting the cable shield directly to the connector shell and shorting the connector shells together via the chassis). If the ground loop is allowed to force current into your source equipment you risk getting some fairly serious intermodulation between both channels. This means if someone wants to try 2 vs 1 supply without a chassis he'll at least have to bolt the input connectors together.

In the current set up ground is connected at the input of the XLRs. The test set up were made with two modules on a passive speaker, the connection were present at the same point too.

Attachments

• DSC_6075.JPG
    DSC_6075.JPG
    182.3 KB · Views: 689
  • DSC_6076.JPG
    DSC_6076.JPG
    363.6 KB · Views: 679
  • DSC_6077.JPG
    DSC_6077.JPG
    300.2 KB · Views: 660
I don't think I'll be adding input sensing to the amplifier anytime soon but as an external module it makes sense. Especially since people are also asking for a pushbutton switch. For safety that requires a standby supply but I felt loath to sell a standby supply just to replace a mains switch. But if at the same time it can power a signal sense circuit that could make sense. One thing I'm not sure of is whether people will like the idea that the first 2 seconds of their music is lost while the SMPS and power amp turn on.

I think people will live with this situation. If they have not turn on each active speaker ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.