• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

HV Shunt Regulator PCB

Allen Wright said:
Algar,
How come you didn't bother asking permission to use this circuit?

My email address is readily available from my website

www.vacuumstate.com

and I am a DIY Audio member.

I would like to inform all members that the original SuperReg (current sourced shunt regulated HV regulator) is available from our online shop as a complete kit, and there have been hundreds sold and built up with complete success. Why buy an amateur version?

Regards, Allen

Can you please explain the history of this design, and why someone needs to ask you for permission to use another person's board design and layout, parts list and pdf manual? This board is well known to have originated from Emile Sprenger's HPHV regulator

Just got an email from av-trouvaille. It seems he knows the original designer of this kit. It was Emile Sprenger. It seems he's in a motor bike world trip at this very moment. Here his email:

"Emile went on a world trip with his motor bike in spring this year. I do not know if he is back already. You could ask Guido Tent if/where you can reach him, if you would consider to check. I think knowing Emile he would not mind your initiative."

I just sent an email to Guido Tent to see if he can find an email where I can reach him.

Emile used to work for the same company I worked for. He was a manager/director and had no commercial interests in the diy audio domain. I think I even mailed him in the past to ask about the hv reg. And he was absolutely cool with other people building/using it, but it was long ago so I might be mistaken.

However I do recall something about him working with Allen on his reg. Or at least some kind of blessing from Allen. Once again I might be mistaken because this was years ago.

Thanks for the info Bas. I got Emile email from av-trouvaille and sent him a request to use his design (or not depending on him). He may reply or not, I don't know, he seems to have other interest in life for now.

As far his work with Allen, I had know knowledge of that, since I didn't knew hist name... As far as I knew, Emile documentation was of the public domain, and I used it for my own personal use. I never saw or copied Allen own design.

I think that people should be aware of his commercial offering and communicate with him if they wish to buy his kit. For my part I only organize a PCB Group buy based on my own PCB design and Emile own documentation. I don't provide complete kit or pretended to be the designer of it. GB member still have a lot of work to do in getting the parts and making it work in their application. As always in DIY, sometime it ends being equivalent to buying commercial kit. But without the fun of working hard to put it together ourself.

So, I hope that until Emile answer my request (he may well never do it), the matter is closed. I'll complete the GB and we will see from there...

Thanks to other members that gave me their help in the matter.

Use of my shunt regulator design

Ok, you guys can use my design for non-comercial purposes.

I accept no responsibility whatsoever for any results or any damage. If you electrocute yourself, I'm not coming over to pull the plug. If you burn down the house, I'm not coming over to put out the fire.

I can offer no assistance to builders. If the manual isn't enough, you probably shouldn't be building the reg anyway.

Two conditions for use with diyaudio:
1) People who buy the reg psb must post their results/experiences on diyaudio. Can anyone tell me what the reg sounds like?
2) You will send me 2 boards as 'licence cost'

Please note:
-Be careful with FET-input, wide bandwidth opamps .. very sensitive, very easy to kill
-Make sure the feedback cap C13 is as close to the op amp as possible (opposite side of the board)
-Don't short the output, parts will die!
-After adjusting the reg (voltage & current), don't use the reg without a load
-Small improvement: put 100R resistor between top of R9 and top of C5
-Tweakers: knock yourself out with C4 and C2 (don't tweak other parts, no/very little sonic effect but possible stability problems)

-Good luck soldering!

Emile
(Back home after doing 17.000km on my bike)

Bas Horneman said:
My projects take decades to build so you'll be waiting a looong time.
Mine feel like they take that long. My xover parts should be here soon and in two weekends from now (if it doesn't rain) I should have a start on the speaker boxes. Once I get moving, stuff usually happens fairly quickly. Once that's all done, I'll get back to the tubes.

Thanks guys for your donations. A few bucks from all of you should do it. At the end I'll make a calculation and will include it with the shipping cost. You'll be free to pay it or not since it was not part of the original offer.

Thanks again to Emile for sharing his design and hard work with us.
I'll send him two PCB as soon as I get the boards and his shipping address.

chip me in

Algar_emi said:
Thanks guys for your donations. A few bucks from all of you should do it. At the end I'll make a calculation and will include it with the shipping cost. You'll be free to pay it or not since it was not part of the original offer.

Thanks again to Emile for sharing his design and hard work with us.
I'll send him two PCB as soon as I get the boards and his shipping address.

I also agree to chip in for Emile, just include it in the shipping costs.

Pred