HP 339A oscillator problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Lack of null not too alarming I think. I recommend exercising S3 through all positions all confirm all switch contacts and associated resistors.

That done, I think we're back to trouble shooting null control loops. Probably best to use external oscillator so that you can search for null frequency in the event it's at odds with analyzer setting. Would you advise any behavior on A4 TP1, TP2 and frequency arrows as you vary oscillator frequency?

I haven't searched out the regulator IC. Often dual supplies are "tracking,' the negative supply using the positive as its reference. So they may appear to overload symmetrically.

If you're having tracking down the failed component, here's a technique I'm often forced to use. Attach one voltmeter lead to the power supply output (say +15). Put VM on a sensitive scale and look for voltage for increasing voltage drops along the +15 supply distribution. Voltages drops will probably be only a few mV. You sniff along, trying to find maximum drop, following the highest current path. Often you can lead yourself right to the culprit.

Good luck.

unplug board A4 restores 15v and U6, drives the frequency leds, is getting hot. Can I use a TL074 here like I did on the oscillator section

re null depth question, when I get a null on board A3 tp4 is at 5.1vac and pin 3 of U3 is 0.45vac

Last edited:
Another measurement that might offer insight: On the A3 power supply, R301 and R310 are the current overload sense resistors. Voltage drop across these resistors will let you determine current draw from each rail. I note the R301 is smaller than R310. I infer that +15 current draw is normally a bit higher than -15. I wouldn't be surprised if current from each supply is nearly equal. Might be a failed opamp conducting between both rail.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.