How to test wine?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I brew my own!

I haven't got a favourite brand of wine anymore. I used to enjoy a red but less so these days.

I've made a couple of cracking batches of dry Perry and also dry cherry wine from preserved fruit. I've had a couple of disasters (strawberry wine that stuck in fermentation and ended up too sweet and only 9% volume. )

Trying to rescue this thread from the depths of politics.

Why not just try a bunch of different wines in your price range? If you can try the ones that will have reviews and compare your tastes with the reviewer, so much the better. If several reviewers have the same comment, weight it higher. The goal is to gain experience. My opinion, focus on particular styles and take notes.

Reviewers often have a strong price bias, being much harsher on cheaper products and when a more expensive product has the same attribute, they rationalize it away rather than calling it a fault.

I spent ten years trying to solve this problem ! It's only after engineering school I understood the best wine tank for the work office was myself. Just ask a little time management and organisation : I use MS Project to keep the targett not to forgett to bring the wine.

In winter you can drink it in the car on the office road, but in summer better to drink the wine Under the shower... The day you will to bring more wine and have no time to transfer all the wine of your fridge, just go to the office by feet or take a longer shower !

Last edited:
Originally Posted by poynton

My favourite French white is Poully Fume or Poully Fuse .. both very easy to drink !! Andy

Your favorite are Pouilly-Fumé and Pouilly-Fuissé ! Right ?

They are very different.
Pouilly Fumé is made with Sauvignon Blanc cépage.
Pouilly Fuissé is made with Chardonnay cépage.
There even is a third one, called Pouilly sur Loire, made with Chasselas cépage.

I think all the wine being discussed here are grape wines.
Doesn't anyone drink other fruit wines ( except mondogenerator) ? Or is it taboo to talk about them because they are probably less than 5% of the wines sold globally ? But that should put them in a niche market and so should be more expensive...but they don't seem to be !:)
Over here you get a lot of "other fruit" wines and most are home made and syrupy stuff. But a few people do make good 'other fruit' wines at very affordable prices.
I made some rice and raisin wine in 2011 ( apart from others) and while moving home a 20 liter can "got lost". Eventually I discovered where it was. It's 6 years old now and tastes great ! Pretty toxic (!:)) too ! Sure can't drive after a couple of glasses !;)
It's great fun. Making it and having it with ,or gifting it to, friends . I once made 6 cans of them ( 120 liters totally ) of 6 different wines. Friends said I was crazy to make so much. As soon as it becomes decent enough to drink, it disappears amazingly fast ! Your friends turn up more often and you develop new friends really fast !:D

drink some palm wine in indonesia already, one thing very near in India also. And an other Strange one in Argentina or Chile (can't remember) which was not fermented raisin.

There are the Saké, can we call that wine yet ? I don't know, but one thing is sure : there thousands variations which are very near but different which made the Saké something nice to drink fro the not too good to the excellent (same as wine)! At least I like it a lot as japoneese whisky btw...

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.