How to design speakers for Stereophile reviewers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Rayma, Are you serious ?

There are a fair number of wealthy people who have very expensive audio systems.
Jay Leno has a warehouse full of antique cars, and full time technicians to keep them running.
This is the way the world is.

Years ago, I installed a $10k custom built audio system in a newly constructed home in Hawaii.
The owner had flown every part of the house over from Japan. It must have cost $10M at the time.

Last edited:
@ GDO, do you mean the people who can are 10 x or 100 x more stupid ? When you buy a ferrari or a Porsche there are differences, not too much in Hi-fi : price scale here is stupid for the most expensives ! (any industrial reality behind !)

Which part of the "cost no object" statement might you be missing?:rolleyes: The "je m'en bats les coûts" co's "i am the king of the establishment", the old good old aristo's fashion one?:rolleyes:

In marketing crude terms: luxury goods vs commodities, far more elitist stuff than mere premium price targeted to kindof wealthy middle class...

Last edited:
Charlie, I think it was Toole's research that found the unexpected effect (that low-Q resonances tend to be much more audible than high-Q resonances of similar energy). Kind of flies in the face of all the attention that CSD waterfalls get, as they highlight the high-Q not the low-Q resonances.

Not low Q resonance but ditto FR delta is what their research showed to be more audible afaik. If wrong, much obliged for reference.

Rayma, you mix everything ! And it is not because it's expensive they have the best in Hifi !
Satisfaction and result are not the always the same thing... The relation is poor here !
This this how you believe the world is : that's quite different !

I personally think that most audio systems are very poor in sound quality
regardless of price, and prefer to build my own equipment, for the most part.

Which part of the "cost no object" statement might you be missing?:rolleyes: The "je m'en bats les coûts" co's "i am the king of the establishment", the old good old aristo's fashion one?:rolleyes:

In marketing crude terms: luxury goods vs commodities, far more elitist stuff than mere premium price targeted to kindof wealthy middle class...

Btw I 'm totally off topic, Just disapointed by this 20K USD Blade II. After all it's not finally about the price! Everybody is free to spend his harded (or easily) earned money ! I just believed it can sound better for the price involved ! But after all it's notbecause you wear a Patek or a Vacheron Constantin than you look at it to read the time ! But sell a Patek for A YG speaker... the only man tricky in the storry is YG himself !:D

Go Back to Topic : I feel we are going to "what is the best speakers ever, the real one ! "

Last edited:
Btw I 'm totally off topic, Just disapointed by this 20K USD Blade II. After all it's not finally about the price! Everybody is free to spend his harded (or easily) earned money ! I just believed it can sound better for the price involved ! But after all it's notbecause you wear a Patek or a Vacheron Constantin than you look at it to read the time ! But sell a Patek for A YG speaker... the only man tricky in the storry is YG himself !:D

Go Back to Topic : I feel we are going to "what is the best speakers ever, the real one ! "

Obviously enough "the cost no object" is as valid for the poors as is for the rich, no matter the magnitube order of the economic absurdity : Un día es un día for all...:wchair:

Last edited:
Not low Q resonance but ditto FR delta is what their research showed to be more audible afaik. If wrong, much obliged for reference.

I think it was in his book "Sound Reproduction: The Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms (Audio Engineering Society Presents)", but sadly I gave my copy to a friend several years ago so can't double check.

Charlie, I think it was Toole's research that found the unexpected effect (that low-Q resonances tend to be much more audible than high-Q resonances of similar energy). Kind of flies in the face of all the attention that CSD waterfalls get, as they highlight the high-Q not the low-Q resonances.

Thanks for posting the link to Toole's book. I pulled out my copy to finish reading the section. In summary (unless I am misunderstanding it) the brain is lumping the first 3-5 msec of "hearing" together. When the resonance is at 200Hz and above (200Hz = 1/200th second = 5msec) it is decaying within that time period and so we are not hearing the time domain ringing. Toole also mentions (paraphrasing) that at frequencies BELOW 200Hz, the ringing will decay more slowly and will last longer than 3-5msec such that the BRAIN detects it. He mentions "bass boom" in this context, which I assume is the same as "muddy bass", etc.

So essentially what I stated originally is correct - small changes (dB << 1dB) over a wide region (be it from a low Q 'resonance' or just a small level difference over all frequencies) can be audible, and as the bandwidth of a resonance becomes small you need a higher and higher peak amplitude before you can "hear" it (e.g. perceive it in your brain).

This reminds me of a conversation I had for an engineer at a loudspeaker company. We were talking about "sweep testing" that was done on the driver manufacturing line (in China) to discover defects, e.g. to look for rub/buzz, etc. Each sweep was done a pretty good SPL in a sound deadening chamber that the line passed through so that the workers would not be exposed to the output. But because of the speed of the production line, the sweep could only last 1-2 seconds, and was almost like a chirp. He lamented that high Q resonances could not be detected because, with the fast sweep, the amount of energy that was injected into the system at the resonant frequency was small due to the fast frequency sweep. If the sweep could be done over 10 seconds or more, lots more info could be determined about these higher Q details, and this could be tracked from unit to unit to check for less obvious flaws that aren't necessarily audibly "fatal" but would result in poorer performance from the driver.

When I was reading Toole's text and the description of the experiment, I had this in the back of my mind the whole time...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.