How to design a folded Voigt Pipe???

Yeah, a source of constant confusion.

All TLs regardless of taper have a 1/4 WL fundamental, but depending on taper can be a 1/4 WL [open cylinder/only odd harmonics] or 1/2 WL [open pipe, closed cone/both even and odd] resonator, so an open pipe and closed cone must be acoustically 2x longer to have the same fundamental [F1] as the open cylinder: Resonances of open air columns

As Jordan notes though, the BIB calculator is intentionally tuned an octave below the driver's Fs. This is to both protect it below Fs and get a bit more LF gain BW to better blend to a typical room's LF acoustics.

GM

Yeah, a source of constant confusion.

All TLs regardless of taper have a 1/4 WL fundamental, but depending on taper can be a 1/4 WL [open cylinder/only odd harmonics] or 1/2 WL [open pipe, closed cone/both even and odd] resonator, so an open pipe and closed cone must be acoustically 2x longer to have the same fundamental [F1] as the open cylinder: Resonances of open air columns

As Jordan notes though, the BIB calculator is intentionally tuned an octave below the driver's Fs. This is to both protect it below Fs and get a bit more LF gain BW to better blend to a typical room's LF acoustics.

GM

Cheers GM

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know what Mass Loaded means. I appreciate any help you can help with. I'm using full range field coil 10" drivers. The below chart shows how the T/S changes with different voltages.
That nice full range diver is probably going to need a very long design. Don't worry too much about he particulars because the driver parameters all have o play together to sound good. I suggest making the cabinet a little big and "mass load" or stuff with fill, cheap fiber glass insulation is fine. That is how I fine tuned mine. Port is big enough to fill after build. Also you can make small slit port at top on one to see if you like I better.I did that and really made a lot of difference. Airy open and not a "boxed in" sound. Good luck. MICHAEL