How to cut large heatsinks?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Those are large pieces... in metric 12.7 x 20.32 x 63.5cm...

I would use a chop-saw or a bandsaw with a metal blade...

Perhaps there is a local junkyard/salvage yard... where they might have a chopsaw...

Wouldn't take more than a few minutes and shouldn't cost much...

You could also try a highschool, if they have tech classes you could get a student to do it...

I used a Chop saw to cut a 12 in x 10 in Heatsink into 3 Parts, It was hard to get a proper straight edge when cutting but was able to grind the edges smooth with a grinding tool...Didn"t take long and was pretty easy...I suggest you put the Heatsink in a stable vice before attempting to cut....

Cheers

I didn't read the above thread, so I might be repeating, but I've cut heatsinks with:

a hack saw - works well, but maybe slow, and doesn't cut deeper than a few inches.

a masonry blade, in a table saw: worked quickly, straight cut, danger from sparks + sawdust. I assume you could put the blade in a circular saw too, but you've got to clamp it real well. I'd bet a diamond blade for cutting tile might work too.

I've even used a regular hand saw (for wood) one night when I was desperate. A reciprocating saw with a metal blade would work too..

I used a tile cutting saw with a diamond disk

Andy

Attachments

• 93ad_1.jpg
    93ad_1.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 269
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.