How to build the F5

I'm glad you asked 6L6, I actually already have the boards stuffed with the Techdiy parts. So after the arrival of my transformers and this order I should be ready rock.

Waiting for the order will give me some time to find case panels?!?

Thanks for the feedback on those parts, I will hopefully place the order today.

Dean

dazed2
you are qite right about the keraterm

That is what I am using think is 82/83 or red

I dont think I would be able to pull 2 amps out of those 3 leghed fuses othervise
I will post themperatures as soon as I get a chance but so far 46 C at the spreaders can't complain about that.

Still nothing wrong whith mica and goop

especialy if you can get the mica thinner by pealing it off (scotch tape work fine)

Are you trying to flatter me again Zen, suggesting that I can afford a few K$ amp build??

Does anybody have another recommendation or should I just buy off zhoufang? No offence to him but a dollar is a dollar, unless your Zen in which case a dollar is a doorway to another obscure joke I probably wont get :D:yikes::wave2:

1 for deano.......hehehe

Zufang is fine just have to be patient while you wait for the goods
but he does deliver.

Not shure if Blues does but he is also a real nice felow. ("not shure" is refered to the fact that he may not have the Kerafol he does deliver quick and he is a nice felow got stuff from him before)

For other bits I got few spares :D (92 Futabas resistors and few undred Holcos)so drop me a line.

The price is right I have tried to get same prices and you have to buy large QTY
200 or 1000 pieces and the price is the same.

Apparentley Zen toped up the ammount of many he is alowd to have thats why I keep posting hints (hint)

And yes you are building a 2K + amp (second hand if you find one)

May even sell you mine with Papa permission. As it is slightley bigher than the stock lets see $500 each mosfet what about $4000 + P and P and dont forghet is entirely hand built
no fancy IKEA bit bolted togheter and you will finance a felow DIY next build.

This is only with Papa blessing and usual 50% cut to the forum

Deal of the century me think.

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
...a dollar is a dollar, unless your Zen in which case a dollar is a doorway to another obscure joke I probably wont get :D:yikes::wave2:

That is the quote of the day for sure!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Hows your build going 6L6??
Are you listening to sweet music yet, is it what you hoped??

As you are not the only one to ask that, I suppose that I haven't sufficiently made closure to the project... (And I even wrote the Haiku!!)

The project was completed in this post -

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/182723-how-build-f5-10.html#post2515520

Wherein the final tweaking and adjustment took place. It has been in my system ever since, and the bias is stable, I probably should go in and to one last tweak to get it perfect (once it's all warmed up and toasty) just because.

It sounds fantastic - I am not the type to elucidate for pages and pages, but I am sure that you will not be disappointed in it's qualities. The F5 is a wonderful project, very rewarding and informative, and when you are all done with the building and assembly, you have a great amp!!

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
IMO Just because you finished the F5 does not mean we are not pleased to see you on this tread.

Thank you for your kind words. It is very reassuring to know that I am welcome on my own thread...

What's next? A Gainclone, actually... LM3875 kit from Peter Daniel built into a bunch of random chassis and components that I have collected over the years for this very purpose.

After that I would like to make some speakers, but I haven't found any plans that I like that have suitable WAF. So the search continues.

The B1 has enough 'gain' for now, but that's partly because I am using fairly (90db) efficient speakers, and am only using a source with 2v output. If one was using small speakers and/or a lower output source, I can imagine that the total system gain would be lacking.

I have a full-function preamp (Nakamichi CA-7A) that can throw 7v at the output, and with that pre, the F5 will always have enough drive to go to full output, if necessary.

I'm using the Kerafol myself and its so much easier than having the goop all over during mod stages etc.
I bought it from zhoufang as well, but I also got matched mosfets along with the order so it wasn't a big deal.... its a dollar man! so you have to spend $4. considering that the case, heatsink etc is an order of magnitude more......

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I too used a silpad for the transistor interface rather than mica and goo. As dazed2 mentions, it is nice to not have the goop getting all over the place.

That said, I did that only because I knew that my heatsinks were sufficient. If there was any question about heatsink capacity, I would have used mica and goo to have maximum thermal transfer.