How much does Center-to-Center distance matter

for woofer-midrange ctc distance that has around 70cm like used in YG Hailey, i calculate the 1/4 wavelength rule gives 120Hz xo point. any downside of using 1/2 wavelength rule applied for higher xo point 240Hz?

Attachments

• YG Hailey 1.2.jpg
    YG Hailey 1.2.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 66
How would this be possible in my scenario?

I have a 22” Radial Horn and a separate enclosure with an 18” Driver for Midbass in a two way system.

No matter the way I do the math, the 1/4 wavelength issue means I must set the crossover point lower than the horn will load.

Isn’t this more for say a bookshelf speaker with a 5” driver and 1” tweeter?
1/4 wavelength separation ensures that even at 90˚ off axis (the worst case example), the two drivers will still sum to an amplitude at -3dB relative to the on-axis response, which is still acceptable.

By the time you get to 1/2 wavelength driver separation, there would be a null created 90˚ off axis (assuming both drivers have the same off-axis response), with varying degrees of attenuation between 0˚ and 90˚ from the axis. This isn't likely to be a serious or even noticeable issue for most situations but it is advisable to avoid such design flaws if possible.

Using a 1 wavelength separation or more is asking for trouble as the nulls and attenuation quickly become an issue within 45˚ of the axis. This can degrade the direct sound quality as well as the reflected sound. See diagram for a visualization of nulls and amplitude variation:

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I believe 300hz is pushing its limits
If you are prepared to cross it this low then you may get 1/4 wavelength. I wouldn't want to use it this low and would be expecting to cross it without 1/4 wavelength spacing.

I have a 22” Radial Horn
This is not a radial horn, but is axisymmetric. I cannot find a description of the flare.

Polar measurements will tell you when this is at 90 degrees, which is a region where it becomes useful to cross.

Last edited: