How long will movie theatres still survive?

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
the issue I have with theaters today, and it's my issue not the theaters, is that I can't sit through a two and a half hour movie. I need a mental break in the middle.

at home, streaming, I can pause whenever of course. and I can adjust the volume up, when I need to do to hear dialogue and down during car chases.

guess I'm getting old.

In Beaverton Oregon, we the "Westgate theater", it was touted at the time, the largest screen on the west-coast...I saw "Midway" on that giant screen, with the Cerwin Vega "Sensurround" bass-modules tucked into the back corners.
Of course that big of a screen was not profitable & they cut it up the square footage to three screens.
Around 2005 we took our 10YO son to experience the Drive-in experience at the 99W Drive In in Newberg Oregon (Est. 1953) . As being family owned, the Descendents of the family wavered about demolishing the place for big $$, but perseverance won out & the place was declared a historical site...ten-dollars for the obligatory two movies now...they're playing Tom Cruises' "Maverick".

================================================================================================Rick...

Reactions: 1 user
the issue I have with theaters today, and it's my issue not the theaters, is that I can't sit through a two and a half hour movie. I need a mental break in the middle.

at home, streaming, I can pause whenever of course. and I can adjust the volume up, when I need to do to hear dialogue and down during car chases.

guess I'm getting old.
Then there’s the almost one hour of coming attraction previews and commercial advertisements.

In Beaverton Oregon, we the "Westgate theater", it was touted at the time, the largest screen on the west-coast...I saw "Midway" on that giant screen, with the Cerwin Vega "Sensurround" bass-modules tucked into the back corners.
================================================================================================Rick...
In SE Portland was the Eastgate Theater. Last movie I saw there was in 1999 right before it was demolished. Beautiful theater with an enormous screen.

Englishman Kenneth Branagh playing a Belgian detective? Honestly, mate, you are having a Laugh!

We was discussing the Greatest Movie ever made in the Currently Sad (Surely I do not have to explain it...) Public Houses of England tonight. I incline to the Westerns.

My good friend, Don, thought that "Once Upon a Time in the West" was a cracker:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Once_Upon_a_Time_in_the_West

Honest to my principles, I think "The Man who shot Liberty Valance" was a far better movie.

It amazed me that Don thought Jimmy Stewart shot Liberty! We all know it was John Wayne!

The Man who shot Liberty Valnace Analysis.jpg

I mean, really. DO PAY ATTENTION.

I even have a copy of the Movie for people who are a bit slow in the head:

The Man who shot Liberty Valance System7 DVD.jpg

Enjoy. It repays a further viewing.

Nice mugshot @system7
1663574097527.png

As a sidenote relatable to thread topic, a lot of smaller companies are starting to struggle severely because of the cost increase and many are estimated to "go under" in less than 6 months.
This will further affect peoples spending patterns on things like eating out and going to the cinema, so people spending spending less money to support small business coupled with rising costs. Like things aren't bleak enough as it is...

Expecting delivery of an energy efficient 70" (paid half price around 690$ on a limited time offer) today that uses slightly less power than my trusty decade old 48" which will be recycled to someone less fortunate. I told my wife that this is the somewhat early Christmas present this year as we have to prepare for a rough winter.

I am not sure how long cinemas can survive in these conditions, incredible that they still exist IMO.

My daughter said she wanted to celebrate her birthday at home with disco lights, smoke machine and our soundsystems. Refused to concider going bowling, laser tag or other "more relevant to thread topic" activities. While it makes me proud that she can appreciate my eccentric hobby the general trend does make me concerned for, ahem "The Bigger Picture".

Well done for your daughter having her party at home! Easier on Dad’s pocket plus the parents can keep an eye on things (and the boys).
Although I think it is a stupid idea to go to the movies for a birthday party, it still seems to be a popular thing among the younger children here.

Being a retired Engineer, I little care for the exact details of the Cinema.

But have certain observations;

These outrageous scoundrels at The Vue Cinema in Portsmouth have raised prices from an affordable £4.99 to £8.99 or even £10.99 for a P.O.S.H. seat.

https://www.myvue.com/cinema/portsmouth/whats-on

Why? Well, apparently they have improved the seats, from rock hard bum numbing benches to something less painful, thus feel they can charge more money!

I told them where they can get off. Keen as I was to watch Jurassic Park III with Jeff Goldblum versus the Raptors.

Good News is Portsmouth Art Cinemas are suddenly playing on a level field against the Capitalistic Giants.

Southsea Cinema and Arts Centre.jpg

Southsea Cinema is £7. No.6 (Dockyard) Cinema is £9. Just need to find better movies than Spiderman and all that. Can't be hard surely?

There's no excuse for a theater to not offer an exceptional media experience. Just hire someone to set it up properly.
A movie theater, even a small one, is an audiophile's dream! Set it up for a great listening experience, install acoustic treatments as needed, as many subwoofers as you like (maybe those big old school horn subwoofers!), enjoy.

I must say that I can't imagine sitting still for a whole movie. I can't remember the last new release movie I'd be interested in. Movies on TV are either old, or stupid. Fake stuff annoys me and it's all beyond fake. If you're going to be fake, give me Blazing Saddles fake and cram the pretentious garbage.

I must say that I went to an Imax theater years ago (Museum of Science and Industry I think?) and it was unlike anything I've ever seen or heard. The screen was like 30x50 foot and the audio was incredible. I saw the Rolling Stones live and it was excellent. Mick Jagger's tongue was 25 feet tall and that's cool. Then the Fires of Kuwait came on and it was so realistic (and loud) that it made me crap my pants a little bit.

I used to run a Cinema, as it goes. I was Financial Controller, so can speak with some experience...

Many were the times I had to summon the artistic controller to my office!

"Your Job, Mr. Arty Farty Booker is to put PAYING bums on seats. We cannot run this enterprise at a loss!"

Suitably admonished, the Arty Farty Booker would shuffle away and book some better and more popular films.

I can suffer the occasional financial loss, but only on condition it enlightens the population as to the nature of things:

Show this excellent one, by all means, but we must make a profit on the remaining season. Even if it is the wretched "Spiderman". :cool: