How is HOM measured?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had to do a double-take while reading through this thread. In my mind I was hearing the words of an 'xpert', but then it became clear they were actually coming from 'wxa666'. Its nice to see the transition from Afghanistan to Geneva is now complete. Welcome!

(sorry for the OT comment)

MartinQ said:
I had to do a double-take while reading through this thread. In my mind I was hearing the words of an 'xpert', but then it became clear they were actually coming from 'wxa666'. Its nice to see the transition from Afghanistan to Geneva is now complete. Welcome!

(sorry for the OT comment)

KSTR said:
And you sure don't want to know what "wxa" sounds like, phonetically, in german....

:D :D :D

Wayne Parham said:

As I understand it, swept/stepped sines are the most immune to noise contamination because they work with a single frequency at a time and can employ bandpass filtering. Their downside is they're slower.

He's talking about the Farina 'log chirp' signal for capturing the impulse response, not the slower stepped sine sweep. ARTA (actually the companion program STEPS) can do that too but you can't get the impulse from it to apply gating.

catapult said:
He's talking about the Farina 'log chirp' signal for capturing the impulse response, not the slower stepped sine sweep. ARTA (actually the companion program STEPS) can do that too but you can't get the impulse from it to apply gating.

Gotcha, yeah, the Farina method uses a swept sine, sort of like TDS. But there is an inverse filter required which makes it a bit more complex (TDS requires locked sine/cosine). Neither is as immune to noise as a stepped sine.

Dear wxa666,

I am not a "shill" or spokesperson for Dr. Geddes. In fact I do not actually agree with some things he espouses.

The EV horn you suggested is of the "Manta Ray" style developed by Altec many years ago. It has known issues and problems. Not just my idea or opinion. I have heard quite a number of them. Pretty good for PA, but even the PA/SR people have dumped them in favor of other designs now.

Not sure where the "ribs" are in the EV horn you mentioned. I can't see them in the pix I saw.

I don't care if there are HOM present or not. In my experience that style of horn does not sound very good. The design uses diffraction to obtain the polar response. Dr. Geddes design specifically does not use diffraction as a means of obtaining the desired polar response - to the extent that a horn can minimize diffraction. THAT is one of the major points of his design breakthrough.

Like it or not, he has a breakthrough in "horn" (ok, waveguide) design here.

If you like intentional diffraction in your horn, fine. There are many horn designs with diffraction lenses, and the like. No problem.

I'd prefer to avoid that sort of thing in the main.

Ymmv.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming... :D

_-_-bear

Wayne Parham said:

I do too in many cases. If the DUT were perfectly linear, it wouldn't matter what signal was being used. The more nonlinear it is, the more the signal type used has an effect. One signal may "trip up" the device in one way, another signal makes it act a little differently. It's mostly due to energy distribution.

Here's a good discussion about that on AudioRoundTable.com:

This is true. But when one wants to discover varous form of imperfection, some signals reveal them better than others.

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
bear said:
Dear wxa666,
Not sure where the "ribs" are in the EV horn you mentioned. I can't see them in the pix I saw.

My explanation was insufficiant then, sorry.

bear said:

I don't care if there are HOM present or not. In my experience that style of horn does not sound very good. The design uses diffraction to obtain the polar response.

Not exactly.

bear said:

Dr. Geddes design specifically does not use diffraction as a means of obtaining the desired polar response - to the extent that a horn can minimize diffraction. THAT is one of the major points of his design breakthrough.

Not exactly. But it is what he all so often tries to convince people of.

bear said:

Like it or not, he has a breakthrough in "horn" (ok, waveguide) design here.

If you like intentional diffraction in your horn, fine. There are many horn designs with diffraction lenses, and the like. No problem.

I'd prefer to avoid that sort of thing in the main.

Ymmv.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming... :D

_-_-bear

If I didn't knew the Geddes claims I couldn't even understand a word of Yours. The OEM invented a problem to what he tries to sell You a solution. The solution is the absence of the problem "by design". The contenders lack the problem because it even can not be defined.

The former is what You are in with "HOM". It is absolutely the same marygoround as with cables, interconnects and the like. There is something technical that sounds georgious but can not be measured. For instance Bybee: Quantum Mechanics, electrons. But - it is not related to an every day product in an every day environment. HOM seems to be a new mantra to the DIYer. Accidentially it sounds like "OM", a buddistic mantra ever since. And HOM is the name of a corporation that sells underwear for males in Europe. Hom is frensh for "man".

Btw: it can be proved that OS waveguides show HOM. Because they are terminated at the mouth. You could read that in one of Geddes' papers.

I'm trough with it.

edit: Could anyone here calculate diffraction at a slot with pencil and paper? Or develop the concept from first principles? Have fun!

mige0 said:

What CARA actually does is simulating pressure distribution over time within closed boundaries.

It does this based upon ray tracing method taking into account several conditions and variables *especially* useful to model room acoustics ?but not necessarily limited to that, as we are solely talking about "linear acoustics" here.

If, for example, you define a certain boundary to be 100% absorptive you can "open" that closed contour like for a horn / wave guide / directivity control device at its mouth.

The main restrictions are that it is tediously to model complex contours ?even in 2D ?but there is no chance to even thinking about precisely modelling axisymmetric or non-axisymmetric 3D horn contours in (current version) CARA.

One other restriction is that you can't model tiny structures (compared to rooms).
Thus you have to scale up your horn / wave guide / directivity control device and get a down shift in frequency behaviour compared to the original size in reward (hence I never inserted the CARA frequency numbers in my "bunch of pretty pictures").

All in all ?your far filed / near field concerns do not apply .

CARA comes in English and German version ?isn't exorbitant expensive and features a responsive service line

http://www.cara.de/

Michael
It seems that if we associate the pressure distribution and put them into perspective with the wave length and room dimension, for it to represent a 15KHz scenario, the wave guide would be very small. So I question how realistic the CARA simulation can be applied to wave guides.

It's surprising what a bit of wine and some detachment can do for a fella.

Not to denigrate some of the very useful things said in the umpty-dozen posts preceding this, I do believe the subject of this thread - how to measures HOMs (higher order modes) - is not what is needed by DIY speaker builders.

What is needed is a means of measuring linear distortion at the receiver, whatever be its cause.

If indeed, the speaker is producing linear distortion, then the DIYer can set about chasing down the cause which will be one or a combination of resonance, diffraction, reflection or, yes, higher order modes.

I think a thread about measuring linear distortion might be useful.

Hello,

Originally posted by soongsc
It seems that if we associate the pressure distribution and put them into perspective with the wave length and room dimension, for it to represent a 15KHz scenario, the wave guide would be very small. So I question how realistic the CARA simulation can be applied to wave guides.

Well, if we think CARA can do the analysis what is does in a room of a size of 5m in the freq range 20Hz-20kHz we can calculate a relativity coefficient = dimension/wavelength and in case of the 5m room it will be within [0.3...300]. Then take a smaller dimension structure say 20cm and simulate in the freq range of 1kHz-20kHz then relativity coefficient is [0.6...12] which falls inside the first range and thus it would be feasible to say CARA can simulate the same phenomenas as it does for a room.

- Elias

Elias said:
Hello,

Well, if we think CARA can do the analysis what is does in a room of a size of 5m in the freq range 20Hz-20kHz we can calculate a relativity coefficient = dimension/wavelength and in case of the 5m room it will be within [0.3...300]. Then take a smaller dimension structure say 20cm and simulate in the freq range of 1kHz-20kHz then relativity coefficient is [0.6...12] which falls inside the first range and thus it would be feasible to say CARA can simulate the same phenomenas as it does for a room.

- Elias
I was continuing a discussion with Michael about a particular scenario he showed.

:confused:

soongsc said:

Elias said:
Hello,

- Elias

soongsc said:

I was continuing a discussion with Michael about a particular scenario he showed.

:confused:

Soongsc, the answer of Elias is the key.
Whether waveguide or room – it’s a simple matter of “zoom factor” meaning you can scale it linearly.
Sure – there are many shortcomings using CARA for what I did. But I haven’t recommended CARA as to be *the* software for wave guide calculation – did I ?

What CARA – and the “bunch of pretty pictures” was intended and are good for is to have an intuitively understandable picture for the mechanisms at work.

It’s the old discussion of how precise has an analogy to be to merely show the *quality* of what’s going on.
There is no question about that BEM can calculate precise results, whereas CARA cant in this context – but on the other hand CARA seems to capture a specific behavior related to the diffraction> reflection > delay > interference complex not showing up in your BEM simus – no clue why.

I think I have outlined this very clear from the very beginning – so please don’t feel offended - it wasn't meant as an attac towars your excellent work but rather as an additional explanation.

That my “bunch of pretty pictures” are valid within its (minor) restrictions, there’s no doubt IMO. Measurements clearly support my point of view – no?

Michael

mige0 said:

Soongsc, the answer of Elias is the key.
Whether waveguide or room ?it’s a simple matter of “zoom factor?meaning you can scale it linearly.
Sure ?there are many shortcomings using CARA for what I did. But I haven’t recommended CARA as to be *the* software for wave guide calculation ?did I ?

What CARA ?and the “bunch of pretty pictures?was intended and are good for is to have an intuitively understandable picture for the mechanisms at work.

It’s the old discussion of how precise has an analogy to be to merely show the *quality* of what’s going on.
There is no question about that BEM can calculate precise results, whereas CARA cant in this context ?but on the other hand CARA seems to capture a specific behavior related to the diffraction> reflection > delay > interference complex not showing up in your BEM simus ?no clue why.

I think I have outlined this very clear from the very beginning ?so please don’t feel offended - it wasn't meant as an attac towars your excellent work but rather as an additional explanation.

That my “bunch of pretty pictures?are valid within its (minor) restrictions, there’s no doubt IMO. Measurements clearly support my point of view ?no?

Michael
I am not offended in any way. I look at the room modes you ran, if I scale the room size to a wave guide size, the room mode would relate to a frequency much lower than our measurements. If we scale the room mode to the frequncy, the wave guide would probably be the size about half wave length of 15KHz.

wxa666 said:

My explanation was insufficiant then, sorry.

Not exactly.

Not exactly. But it is what he all so often tries to convince people of.

If I didn't knew the Geddes claims I couldn't even understand a word of Yours. The OEM invented a problem to what he tries to sell You a solution. The solution is the absence of the problem "by design". The contenders lack the problem because it even can not be defined.

The former is what You are in with "HOM". It is absolutely the same marygoround as with cables, interconnects and the like. There is something technical that sounds georgious but can not be measured. For instance Bybee: Quantum Mechanics, electrons. But - it is not related to an every day product in an every day environment. HOM seems to be a new mantra to the DIYer. Accidentially it sounds like "OM", a buddistic mantra ever since. And HOM is the name of a corporation that sells underwear for males in Europe. Hom is frensh for "man".

Btw: it can be proved that OS waveguides show HOM. Because they are terminated at the mouth. You could read that in one of Geddes' papers.

I'm trough with it.

edit: Could anyone here calculate diffraction at a slot with pencil and paper? Or develop the concept from first principles? Have fun!

I was not aware that I made "claims"...???

Friend, you appear to be both angry and confused.
Why you would be angry with me is unclear.
You are confused, because I am not Dr. Geddes, but you want to make me responsible for what he says?
No. :mad:

I am not a follower, nor part of a herd of animals. I do not care about HOM one way or the other, UNLESS it is useful.

THIS is the thread about MEASURING them/it.
If you do not want to talk about that, then you are in the wrong thread. Eh?

The mouth reflection is not the HOM that Dr. Geddes is addressing. You know that if you read what he wrote and what has been said about them.

Calculate a diffraction slot? Sure, but why? Why do you feel that
is important to this discussion? Perhaps you would like to post the math you think is going to show something important?

It seems that you simply do not like to be told that the horns that you prefer are a design that uses deliberate diffraction to create the bandwidth and polar response that it does? But that is the truth. They may sound fine anyway.

And, you still have yet to explain your "rib" reference?
Although it has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

What is your point here?? :confused:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.