How hard is it to build PS for ESL speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A used set of Acoustat interfaces would drive your panels well and you can tap off the HT supply at what ever voltage that you need. Would be a lot cheaper than having transformers built from scratch. You could compare them to your buddy's and see how they stack up.

Hello Moray James,

Very interesting and cost effective idea.
Did Acoustat use the same HF transformer in all of their interfaces whether it was driving 2 panels like in the 1+1, or 6 panels like in the Spectra 6600? Actually, now that I think about it, I'm not sure if all 6 panels get driven on the 6600 or just the middle two. Do you know?

I was just thinking that the Acoustat interface would only work well if the capacitive load of the Sound Lab U-1PX isn't too much more than what it was designed for. Otherwise your HF extension would be limited.

The Sound Lab U-1PX have about 2000 in^2 radiating area each and all that area is driven full range. The area is similar to the Acoustat Spectra 6600. Assuming the d/s spacing is similar and the 6600 has all 6 of its panels driven from the HF transformer it should work just fine although it probably won't need all the LF equalization the Acoustat interface provides.

In my searching, I found the Acoustat X ESL tube amplifier. Why is that so specifically designed for an ESL speaker?

I have been running horns for ever and my biggest amp is a GM70 SET that only puts out 12wpc. From everything I've read so far, I'll need a lot more power than that.

The Acoustat X was a direct-drive system, there was no transformer between the amp and the panels.

Your 12W tube amp will do fine with music without a lot of bass, like chamber music, opera, or voice+guitar type of stuff. Play music with any appreciable bass content and there will be gross distortion in the bass notes.

I am in this exact situation right now (17WPC amp) and am building a heavier amp to get out of it :D

Kenneth

The Sound Lab U-1PX have about 2000 in^2 radiating area each and all that area is driven full range. The area is similar to the Acoustat Spectra 6600. Assuming the d/s spacing is similar and the 6600 has all 6 of its panels driven from the HF transformer it should work just fine although it probably won't need all the LF equalization the Acoustat interface provides.[/QUOTE]

The Acoustat interfaces should work fine. All the panels in the 6600 are active. Base EQ on the Acoustat interfaces is adjustable.
I would go with a wooden case just as easy to build looks nice sounds better.

Wood Interface case

Here is an MDF case for a set of Acoustat interfaces. This is about as small as you would to make it. You can see that the transformers are all at right angles to each other to minimize magnetic coupling. The wooden case provides a cleaner more relaxed and open sound when compared to the metal case. Note the line filter feeding AC to the HT supply. This is a very good idea to help keep noise low.

I'm no expert but... I hope others will correct me.

Any old HV will do. You don't want too high or you'll spark and burn. But voltage simply relates to speaker volume and you crank it up till you hear pings. Lots of 'em off the shelf and piece of cake to wire up a multi-doubler too.

Any approach (other than replicating the original) is fraught will pitfalls. Basic good sense is to get a Behringer variable crossover (3400) and four very beefy amp channels.

Then you take any old large tube output transformer and use it for the LF panels and any old smaller tube output transformer and use it for the HF panels.

That's it.

(Of course that's not it. With high voltages and expensive gear, you need to know what you are doing too.)

MDF case for Acoustat interfaces

Sorry that's twice I tried but the pictures are not loading.

Here are the pics of Moray James wooden interface boxes.

His words from Post#30
"You can see that the transformers are all at right angles to each other to minimize magnetic coupling. The wooden case provides a cleaner more relaxed and open sound when compared to the metal case. Note the line filter feeding AC to the HT supply. This is a very good idea to help keep noise low. "

Attachments

• Acoustat_wood_1.jpg.jpg
    Acoustat_wood_1.jpg.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 180
  • Acoustat_wood_2.jpg.jpg
    Acoustat_wood_2.jpg.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 179
Those look very tiddy and very well constructed. I am going up to see the speakers today. I will take many pics and post them up. If I like the bass setting at the flat position, should I find a transformer that is wound to just that ratio or is that just splitting hairs cost wise?

Last edited:
I see no reason to not wind your own.
I am working on that data as we speak ,sorry it has taking a little longer than I expected.
Of course if you do not wish to go that route it can be rather expensive.
It takes alot of iron to do fullrange and the cost comes at a premium unles you go DIY,then it is not so bad.
I have mentioned that I have found a vendor for some toriadal cores at 2000 watts for 60 hz for $20 to $30 these are the types of cores that should do 20hz at 100 watts or more with no problem for full range.
The truth beholds the bigger the core the better for full range.
You can just as well use the panels in a hybrid system very cheaply to get by with and might find it to be good enough.
I personly am striving as well for a full range system,but it seems that transformers are the major cost factor.
Direct drive amps are another route,but again ,with everything else, you have to way out the cost factor (as this is DIY) and the safety factor that works for you.
If you can find a set of acuostat interface's for cheap Get them, as that iron is alot bigger than it looks (8"x8"x4" just for one transformer).
I would love to get my paws on a set of those not too mention the HV caps and parts and such that are very expensive outright ,let alone, where to find them.
jer

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.