How do you use your Pass clone amps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My dedicated theater is powered by a set of Aleph-X amps that sound great, but upstairs in the family room the sound is provided by an old Marantz integrated receiver. I've been contemplating switching to a dedicated preamp and building a 5-channel ACA, or a 3-channel ACA (for center, surround left, surround right) and putting my M2/Aleph-J/etc into duty for the front left and right channels. 5 channels of ACA can't really draw that much more power than my receiver, but throwing an M2 or Aleph-J into the mix will certainly change that. I'm not sure if its worth the effort for more "casual" television viewing and general background music.

So I've been wondering about this for a while - just how do you use your Pass Clone amps?

Dunno I find Audio Weenie sound as an adjunct to Film watchings as "odd" Getting more in yer face 'Transformers' audio carnage 'effects' is not something I can relate to ;)
But then..I don't go to Movie theatres due to their ridiculous DB levels and the once a year or 2I do go... I pack industrial grade earplugs
But hey! whatever blows your jets.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Last couple of years just rotating different Pass and Rothacher amps with commercial and diy speakers.
In a bit I'll be running two sim F7s and a F5T v2 in a diy Wilson Watt Puppy inspired 3-way tied together with two FW B4 XOs. The rest of the gear will keep rotating in another room.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
you're just finding proper reason to proceed building more amps

any reason is good enough ......

:)

(and yes , I'm enjoying movies with Papamps thundering ....... though , stereo with big speakers is and always be enough channels to me)

Same here....my "home theatre" is always 2 channel. Never bought in to the multiway format. Music doesn't sound right and movies are fine via two way.

Russellc

I’ve found that the listening habits of multichannel listeners are much different than 2 channel, music only people. Basically, they are listening for different things. The home theatre people don’t care as much about the spatial presentation of the amp...they do that with multiple speakers.

5/7 channel audio always sounds weird to me. Usually there is no sense of scale vertically.

5/7 channel audio always sounds weird to me. Usually there is no sense of scale vertically.

In movie theatre, I think I can feel vertical scale, but I agree wth you about home theatre setup.

And don't forget mono, mono is great for music playback. Not only for mono recorded old music. I play only left or right channel of Beatles, and am enjoying unpublished arrangement / mix that no other people probably ever heard. :D

Last edited:
Dennis,

I am planning to build the lx-minis also. The woofers need a more powerful amp than most of the Pass clones. I was planning to use modulus amps to power it.

I have a pair of ACA 1.1's on my fronts in my HT. They are on some Boston Acoustics HD-9. I am planning to replace them with M2X's I am planning to build, since I am changing to less efficient speakers (Jordan Eikona 2's in a MLTL enclosure). Not sure yet what I will do with the ACA's, maybe use them on my surrounds.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Things move around for me too. In upstairs large master bed room, vinyl rig is used with M2, to keep precious moving coils away from cat creatures. Another bedroom has original clone build F5 with almost complete vinyl rig number 2.

Living room area one has TV and Econowave speaker system, living room 2 system has Tekton speakers and BA3 amp usually. Basement is A7 system. All my amps circulate occasionally among these systems.

Where latest preamp, Vfet, F7 clone, J2 clone and others will end up is anyone's guess. Parts boxes for BBA3 mono blocks, M25, Marks M2 version, and other Teabag M2s is anyone's guess.....

Russellc

Im currently switching between M2 & F6 in my cellar system ( Altec A5s with 1505 horns), used for Vinyl, digital and movies. Cant decide which amp I like better. In the living room I have uppgraded Carlsson OA51s driven by Hypex nc400 monoblocs. Used for radio and streaming, mainly background music. I tested the F6 there and it sounded better than the hypexes. Might build an integrated ( M2 or F6 with B1 V1 or V2 in same box) for the living room, although the positive side of the hypexes is that they can be turned on all the time. I will build SissySit and probably Nelsons new SIT kit coming next year and will use the amps ( Sissy, M2, F6 or SIT-4? ) I like best on the Altec A5s. I have some Altec 604-8g coaxes in 620 kabinet clones as reserve and will test active crossovers on them and either use a combination of Pass clones and tube amps ( I have se300b and two pairs of pp pentode monoblocks to play with) or two clones to drive them, if active suits the 604s. I have a pair of Altec 515Gs and might try the 604s and 515s in open-baffle and active xovers. I have a lot of toys to play with :)

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'm secretly hoping for the AB100 for the bass driver. But until then I'll likely use
a commercial product.

I am starting to think I have too many amps...and it doesn't help that I just ordered
more PCBs from the store... :)

Yes, I understand that completely. Boxes of parts slowly fill and the day comes for completion....sort of. Several "complete" chassis about as well, with stuffed boards and various parts inside.

Russellc

I have my Aleph-X monoblocks in the living room driving a pair of Troels Gravesen CNO Mk-I speakers. A hot-rodded BZLS doing preamp duty, my own design of usb DAC using a modified D1 I/V output stage, and a RPi streamer. Managed, after many years, to achieve an entirely DIY system from source to speaker! Used solely for 2 channel music. Sometimes I swap in a set of full range driver speakers (CSS FR-125 in Planet10’s mini-Onken enclosures) for variety.

Been slowly working on a BA-2T for few years now for when I want my neighbors to involuntarily participate in some head banging! Might use it for 2-channel movie watching too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.