How do you remove flux residue after soldering?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm changing out some SOIC surface mount opamps on a I/O for my recording setup. I'm having a problem with a mess of flux surrounding everything I unsoldered installed the new part and resoldered. How do I remove the flux?

I've heard flux residue can cause hiss in low signal sections of amps. I do not want hiss.

Forgive me if this is a dumb quesiton. I honestly haven't found any good/safe way to remove flux residue.

thanks!
Nick

We've always used acetone at work(real acetone not nail polish remover with oil). and a couple of theese http://www.rolexreferencepage.com/articles/qtip.jpg made of wood..
You can use a plastic esd safe stick to remove hard residue. and if you want to use a brush, make sure its not dry.
Or you could have used another type of solder with another type of flux, and the problem would'nt be as big :)

Isopropyl alcohol, aka isopropanol

Isopropyl alcohol (99%) works (with rosin flux). I'd be afraid that solvents like lacquer thinner or acetone will damage plastic components.

If I'm doing a bunch of boards, I'll pour some alcohol into a tray, let the boards soak, then brush them with an old toothbrush and soak some more if necessary. Blow the dirty alcohol off with compressed air. Spray with clean alcohol, and blow them dry. This usually results in perfectly clean boards.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.