How can I wire 2 Subwoofers to this Receiver??

I have 1 sub operating using the single Sub Out on the receiver, but am having a hard time figuring out how to get the 2nd sub wired to receive a signal. I have tried to wire the 2nd subwoofer using a 2 channel speaker wire to RCA converter box, but there was a lot of static when I plug everything in... Please help!! And thank you!!

Receiver: Cambridge Audio AXR100

Subwoofers: Klipsch R-120SW

RCA Converter: PAC LP3-2 Pro Series

The RCA converter is intended to reduce speaker level to RCA level.

1682634020034.png

All you may need is a an RCA splitter to enable you to run a single RCA cable to each of the subs.

1682634433212.png

1682634633916.png

Reactions: 1 user
What I used to do is connect one sub to the L on the receiver and the other sub on the R of the reciever.

You only need one of each to the sub. Same goes for using high pass binding posts, one from each channel L & R from receiver to sub A & B on each sub and your usually all set to go.

Splitting the existing single sub line out might tax pre out gain to the point you wont get strong enough gain to run two subs as well vs. one. Leaving listener with a decreased SPL level. Might want to check line level voltage then decide if it will be acceptable . Or simply test it.

I always use high level when the option is there. Unless its being directed to a DSP of some kind, then I prefer using the preouts, or a L & R sub pre outs if thats the option. If I limited the receiver to movie content a single LFE would probably suffice. Or if I only had one sub to hook up.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Get a microphone, a mic preamp and a very powerful amp. Set it all up.

Place the mic in front of the first woofer... turn on the preamp and amp...

Whatever you do, do NOT trip over the microphone.

... or...

Get the RCA splitter. The inputs of the subwoofers are (should be!) of high enough impedance that the receiver's line level output should have no trouble driving both.

... now to complicate matters....

Defeat the LFE in the receiver and use bass management to drive the LFE into the L/R. Hook up the L and R speakers into line level inputs of the L and R woofers... then hook up the L and R speakers to the line level outputs of the L and R woofers.

If you use the microphone... use a Telefunken U47 with a cardiod capsule... remember to aim it to the woofer, not the listener.

Why a Telefunken? Because it looks cool and Frank Zappa refers to it in Joe's Garage, Part I.

Just be really careful or you might get VD electrocuted... ;-)

BTW, in High School I won a Rube Goldberg price. Seriously!

Last edited:
Some D amps used for subs wont' like it is all I'm saying. 4v wont cut it. A single channel sub limits you to a mono channel also. There isn't as many productions that record bass in stereo but they become more common. Not to take advantage of it will hinder image. Chances are none of this will matter but It gets noted anyway. Outside lurkers read forums too.

High and low inputs both have a place I just avoid spliting whenever possible.

I dont think its a coincidence that some amplifiers offer specific L & R subwoofer preouts. Mine does and I've seen it on a small handfull of others that also do it. I take advantage of that otherwise high pass usually is the next best option. A single LFE is used for movie effects nothing else. If I operate an avr.