How can i make Beyers DT990 balanced ?

1000060117.jpg

do you mean this ? Or how many tiny cables inside?

its new . Only one cable coming out of left cup

Ty. Looks like a lot to do. I might give it a try. I have the 250 ohm version. Would i get more juice to drive them if i do this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
+1
I own a DT990 for 46 years and it's very dear to me.
It's hard to read that such a nice headphone shall be tweaked without any improvement, on the contrary.
I agree with the opponents.
At least try this on a cheap model.

Hugo

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2011
Balanced does NOT give "more power" or make them "easier to drive". Where would that power come from? Nowhere.
Perhaps you mean gain, which is completely different from power. Any common unbalanced audio amplifier has enough gain.

A balanced audio amplifier, all other things equal, has 6dB more gain, but still has the SAME power output.
Any unbalanced audio amplifier (other than a phone) would drive virtually all headphones way past the point of hearing damage.

Joined 2011
All it means for headphones to be "balanced" is that they lack a common wire to the amplifier ground.
Connecting balanced phones to an unbalanced amplifier makes NO difference at all, in any way.

On the other hand, it is not possible to connect unbalanced phones to a balanced amplifier.
So there is no comparison that can be made in that respect.

A balanced amplifier, all other things equal, has the SAME power output, and 6dB more gain.
But gain is NOT power. Twice the gain (6dB) just requires half the input for the same output.
And +6dB is NOT twice as loud. That would be more like +10dB.

How do you mysteriously double power? Where does it come from? It doesn't.
If you have no technical knowledge or background, then you are fodder for false information.

Joined 2015
Paid Member
On portable headphone amplifiers meant for smartphone or laptop/tablet use, the balanced output may have a higher output power compared to the unbalanced connector, because the balanced output stage is a bridge configuration while the unbalanced is single ended, and a mayor design constraint on this application is the low supply voltage. As example, my Fosi Audio DS1 is specified for 220mW on the 4.4mm balanced output but only 120mW on the conventional unbalanced 3.5mm jack. 120mW is way, way more than required even for my less sensitive headphones, so this power difference does not have any practical use at least for my needs.

If it is the Zen Air Can, then the spec sheet just gives a power output number without specifying whether it is for single-ended or balanced. That might imply that the output power is the same, or they could have been sloppy on the documentation.

The fact that the Zen Can documents do have different numbers for single-ended and balanced makes me think that the Air really might deliver the same power to the two outputs.

Have you searched for any reviews of your amp that include power measurements?

No i havent searched for that.
As far as im aware from searching forums , you might be right , it could be that it outputs same power out on both jacks. But what you are saying means that making the headphones balanced wouldn't change them. Now I understand , i d have to simply get another amp if i need more power.