How can I filter heavy gramophone noise?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
> in cotidiane situations

"Everyday".

The Noise Filter in CoolEdit 2000 could do some amazing work.

First you show it a sample of "quiet" (full of noise) and let it study it.

Then you run a lot of trials against the speech. There are many settings for frequency and aggressiveness.

A friend had pre-WWII 78s with great childhood nostalgia; but also massive childhood scratches and dirt. I got them listenable. (Russian Army Choir on Columbia, great recordings; and I did hunt for cleaner copies before doing all that work.)

My family had a cam-corder of a family reunion, badly tainted with wind noise (also too-far, too-soft, too-hissy, etc). It got it better.

Problem: the company quit the business, has not been supported in many years. It always was a little tough to get registered. I *just* got it 99% working on Win7; but I am not inclined to accept massive WAVs and listen to people I don't know (and won't understand?).
I do not understand clearly what you try to tell. But i'm willing to pay if you could make the work for me. Perhaps I could pay you by Paypal. You can get the example track I posted in a google link in the very first post in this thread, and show me what you can do.

But given the poorness of the recording I don't expect something better than all I had in about two entire days, experimenting with many programs and plug-ins.

The Noise Filter in CoolEdit 2000 could do some amazing work.

(...)

Problem: the company quit the business, has not been supported in many years. It always was a little tough to get registered. I *just* got it 99% working on Win7; but I am not inclined to accept massive WAVs and listen to people I don't know (and won't understand?).

The company has been bought by Adobe and since then Cool Edit is called Adobe Audition.

I have the same experience as alsinaleandro with FFT-based noise filtering algorithms that first take a section of noise to determine the noise floor and then essentially subtract that from the signal to be restored. After some tweaking of parameters, they work fine when the sound is sufficiently above the noise floor, but when the noise is as loud as or louder than the sound to be restored, there is no setting that gives acceptable results (at least not with GoldWave, my favourite audio editing program).

Yes!!, That is what I learned from this lesson. When the noise is louder than speech. Nothing can be done. If the speech is unintelligible at the source, it will remain unintelligible after the filtering process., I tried nearly every software solution available y came to that conclusion. There are really quite good tools, and the guys who developed them did put a really good effort, but no magic can be done.

So my very thanks to you all guys for helping out!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.