How big Harddrive can I use with my motherboard?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ok i im getting ****ed off here. Have you ever worked on older boards. how come every board that i have had and THAT HAS BEEEN many since i built systems all day and worked on them all day. how come none of them would take a 120 gig hard drive NONE not even one. im talking asus gigabyte and msi. i personally think your feeding a line of crap here. it does matter.. the board he has wont take a 120 gig hard drive. i've personally tried many times. Just drop it his board will not take a 120 gig hard drive GESh.

JasonL said:
if he makes a mistake in the presses he is screwed so it is better for him to just buy the promise card.

To connect the 120GB HDs he does not even need to upgrade the BIOS; it will work as is. However, if he wants to run Windows 2000 or any other newer OS, the list of enhancements indicate that some of them are required.
The BIOS flashing procedure is very straightforward and safe, since it first backs up the current version. The instructions are detailed here:

http://www.msicomputer.com/support/BIOS_award.asp

Chris, if you have never done it, this is a good opportunity to learn it.

Have fun!

See...

Attachments

• msi.jpg
    msi.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 70
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
That means they didn't test but if it takes 80 gb it'll probably like 120 gb too. MSI 6178 and MSI 6178E are not entirely the same boards.

BTW there is no need to get angry JasonL. If you're right you're right. We'll see that after the disk is bought and connected.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.