How big Harddrive can I use with my motherboard?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I did not change my post now. I was editing it right after posting when you anwered it. I think about my posts carefully and since english is not my native tongue I always double check and edit my posts a few times. IMHO it would be better if native english speakers would care for that too when I look at the many grammar errors that are made.

Apart from that it would be a lot clearer that you'd say what's not true in your opinion instead of just typing: not true. Then it would make sense, now it doesn't.

Rudy said:
Now, i dont think all off this matters, i gues you are running a simple 100Mbit network, if so don't bother on spending to mutch money on the raid controller, becouse it wouldn't matter anything on the max transfer throu your network, either way wil easely get about 10MByte/sec , still plenty for home usage ;)
Greetz Rudy

Like i said before, it doesn't matter in "this" situation

jean-paul said:
That is when people don't install the drivers for their IDE/ATAPI controllers. Intel offers the Intel Application Accelerator for the 810 and higher chipsets which make quite a difference in speed and systemload. Via offer their 4in1 drivers for those who have a board with a VIA chipset. SIS have drivers as well. Don't know about Nforce boards. Problem is that few people care to install them.

jean-paul, pls reread it, "with the same data transfer", and its refering to raid cards vs onboard, not onboard vs controller cards

Still like you said jean-paul , just try it Chris, i don't expect to mutch trouble with the onboard controller. And this is still the easy/cheap way.

Greetz Rudy

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
jean-paul, pls reread it, "with the same data transfer", and its refering to raid cards vs onboard, not onboard vs controller cards

OK, I reread your post and I read it wrong the first time. Still 30 % system usage when onboard controllers are used is not the real figure. Maybe when software RAID is used ?

ok, so I'll try it. If it doesn't work I'll buy a new mainboard.
Now, "Flashing" the bios means I just download the upgrade from Jean Pauls link and run it, right?

Wrong, you'll probably have to make a bootable DOS or W98 floppy disk. Use a floppy disk that's either new or seldom used and format it first, check if it hasn't any damaged sectors. Then make it bootable and put the BIOS file with the Award or AMI flashprogram on it. Carefully read ( the hardest part for most ) on the site on how to do this. Sometimes it is possible to flash the BIOS in Windows but that is mostly with the newer boards. Please realise that when you do it wrong your board won't function anymore ( when you don't know someone with an EEPROM writer ! ).

Read the faq or whatever info MSI offers and do it exactly like that or let someone experienced do it ( best option ).

Joined 2003
Paid Member
jean-paul said:
Just flash the BIOS first and buy the disk. Connect it and when it isn't recognised you can buy the Promise IDE card or RAID when you like.

Fully agree whit this, and BTW, this Ver1.0 really needs to be flashed if you read all the updates and bugs they removed!
Buying them is not a waste of money as you plan to run a server.
There are two more ways to quickly know if the flashed bios will support 120Gb:
Go to your local PC shop and ask them to try one.
Mail MSI and ask them (and tell them to add some more info about this issue on their site :devily: ).

/Hugo :)

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
It compromises speed Frank, although it isn't much. Please check the sites of the companies that offer that utilities like Maxtor and read the info. They said it themselves too if you don't believe us. Or it should be that they refined that utilities in the last time. My experiences were with W95/98 and Maxtor and Seagate utilities and they had that problem.

I understand very well how they work and it puzzled me that they influenced speed but they did.

Second disadvantage: a reinstall of Windows can get you headaches with the utility installed ( mostly when people don't know of that software installed ). You know "the IDE devices running in 16 bit modus" problems.

Third disadvantage : Most of the time people forget that they ran the utility and after 2 years they want to use the disk in another system and get in trouble because of it.

fdisk /mbr You know, I know but a lot of people don't.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

It compromises speed Frank, although it isn't much. Please check the sites of the companies that offer that utilities like Maxtor and read the info.

How can it possibly?

It's a binary file that translates to the bios an acceptable disktable prior to booting from it.
So what if it slows down the booting procees a second...

Once that's done it goes dormant and the O.S. takes control as it would in any other case.
That's all there is to it.

fdisk /mbr You know, I know but a lot of people don't.

He,he...we make a living out of knowing stuff other people don't.:goodbad:

Cheers,;)

The motherboard supports upto 137GB(which is a limitation of ATA/100, the "pseudo-standard" ATA/133 allows for larger drives) drives, there is no need for an extra card. No modern ATA drives can transfer over 60MB/s sustained(and that's a squential file). ATA/100 adds some new commands/features, but the performance impact will be minimal. The only thing that can fill ATA/100 is cache bursts, and those are only a few kilobytes in size, if that. Also, the i810 with recent drivers has fine ATA/CPU usage ratio. Using a Promise "RAID" controller will have *much* higher CPU usage if you use the RAID features since they are software controlled. If you want a real ATA RAID controller I'd buy a 3Ware ATA RAID card, they are fast capable, very compatible, and they never have hardware errors(being they are just FPGAs the firmware can simply be updated.).

The 137GB limitation comes from the fact that, on older systems, the IDE/ATA interface uses 28-bit addressing. Newer systems have adopted 48-bit addressing to overcome this capacity barrier.
Chris, your motherboard will take hard disks of up to 137GB, so the 120GB HDs you were planning to buy will work fine. The advice to upgrade the BIOS is a very good one, since MSI's web site shows many enhancements and bug fixes in the versions above 1.0 that are essential for the correct functioning of newer operating systems.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.