How better is a Turntable compared to a CD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
from Werner:
What you can have from a certain level of quality on are playback illusions of depth that can be plausible, but not necessarily 'true'.
I'd agree with that. ie Stereo can sometimes provide a 3D effect but it remains short of the goal of "real"; it isn't a "clone" of the original performance.
My current modest setup has astonished me at times with soundstage/instrument localization but I could not say confidently that it was more true to the original. (In the interest of disclosure, my stereo also has a sub and center-channel.)
It seems you did not take my previous remarks as an affront, and I appreciate that. I simply wanted to point out what I saw as an inconsistency.

for Telemann:
Interesting post my good man! Mr. Culshaw, aware of his recording's technical shortcomings, purposely resorting to the power of suggestion for a little nudge in his favor. He's certainly thorough (or desperate :)). In other occupations that could be considered less than moral activity. Some may see it so anyway. I'm definitely not one of those.
And the junglescapes example lends some credence to something I posted in another thread. I have not experienced those recordings firsthand, but knew it was being done.

Pano, I've no doubt of your experience with the stable and repeatable illusion of dimensional audio and it's realistic qualities. But you neglected the edge-of-the-seat answer - was it CD or phonograph?:D

I presume that people here are all familiar with this..?:

(I just found it Googling, but maybe others here have seen it before?)

Francinstien

Two channel intensity-derived stereo is more subtle in its operation than is generally supposed. A purely intensity controlled stereo signal produces a continuum of simultaneous and coexistent stereo images: A set of predominantly high-frequency interaural intensity-derived images and a set of predominantly low-frequency delay-derived images. As far as the brain is concerned the signals it receives from the ears are very similar to those it expects to experience when listening, for instance, to live music in a concert hall. But only "very similar" because conventional stereo cannot produce a perfect illusion, the problem being that these simultaneous, and coexistent, stereo images are not in exact perceptual register. So that, when two-loudspeakers reproduce a stereo image from an interchannel intensity-derived stereo music signal, the high frequency components of each instrument or voice emanate from one place within the stereo image and the low-frequency components emanate from nearly - but not quite - the same place. The result, to use a visual analogy, is a slight smearing or blurring of the stereo image.
Several years ago I was involved in my first recording which appeared on vinyl and CD. It gave me a unique opportunity to compare analogue and digital reproduction because I also had a copy of the original master tape. Unhesitatingly, I should say, the CD was 'nearer' the master, but vinyl produced a 'better' stereo image - in fact, better than the master tape! A conundrum indeed.

After much deliberation and armchair theorizing I set about doing some experiments. Late nights with an oscilloscope eventually uncovered that electrical and mechanical crosstalk within the cartridge and pre-amp were causing a stereo image manipulation which was similar to that brought about by the Blumlein 'Shuffler' circuit and Edeko's loudspeakers - all the important narrowing of the stereo image at high frequencies. It supported what I and so many hi-fi fans knew to be the case, that vinyl really does sound better than CD - especially in LP's presentation of a realistic soundstage.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
But you neglected the edge-of-the-seat answer - was it CD or phonograph?

Oh no, you had to ask!
Both, to some degree - but:

The very best reproductions of space, position, depth, height, width, and ambiance that I've heard, have all been from - drum roll please - compact disc. Every time.

I don't know if that was the medium, the recordings or pure coincidence, but that's been my experience.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
So that, when two-loudspeakers reproduce a stereo image from an interchannel intensity-derived stereo music signal, the high frequency components of each instrument or voice emanate from one place within the stereo image and the low-frequency components emanate from nearly - but not quite - the same place.

I can scan a graph from the research that illustrates this effect.

The experiments were done in mono, and show that, with a fixed speaker position, the higher the frequency the higher the perceived source location. Couple this with appropriate room reflections and you have 2 basic tools for creating an image with apparent height.

dave

I can scan a graph from the research that illustrates this effect.

The experiments were done in mono, and show that, with a fixes speaker position, the higher the frequency the higher the perceived source location. Couple this with appropriate room reflections and you have 2 basic tools for creating an image with apparent height.

dave

Reading that web site I linked to, it seems that Abbey Road used the 'Blumlein Shuffler'. By sheer coincidence, I saw Arena about George Martin the other night, and he was describing how he used to hear "an arc of sound" from the monitor speakers, with height as well as a left-right effect.

I should have pasted part of the post before last in bold because, uniquely in all of this thread, it seems to provide a rational explanation as to why LP might sound better than CD! Eureka!!!

Several years ago I was involved in my first recording which appeared on vinyl and CD. It gave me a unique opportunity to compare analogue and digital reproduction because I also had a copy of the original master tape. Unhesitatingly, I should say, the CD was 'nearer' the master, but vinyl produced a 'better' stereo image - in fact, better than the master tape! A conundrum indeed.

After much deliberation and armchair theorizing I set about doing some experiments. Late nights with an oscilloscope eventually uncovered that electrical and mechanical crosstalk within the cartridge and pre-amp were causing a stereo image manipulation which was similar to that brought about by the Blumlein 'Shuffler' circuit and Edeko's loudspeakers - all the important narrowing of the stereo image at high frequencies. It supported what I and so many hi-fi fans knew to be the case, that vinyl really does sound better than CD - especially in LP's presentation of a realistic soundstage.

Francinstien

I should have pasted part of the post before last in bold because, uniquely in all of this thread, it seems to provide a rational explanation as to why LP might sound better than CD! Eureka!!!

Francinstien

What's so wonderfull about that. The old Audio Amateur had a number of different article's about the Blumlein's crossfeed recording techniques, etc., back in the 70's and a number of people were actually doing it. The diy headphone guys have also done a fair number of crossfeed circuits over the years and some are quite good. But like I mentioned earlier, the Binaural recording technique, especially through headphones, is the best I've heard. However, it's not bad with speakers either.

Having said that, I'll go back to what you have "humorously" described as "magic" and "hand waving."

TerryO

What's so wonderful about that is that the crosstalk you get from the vinyl replay process is responsible for the "improvement" of the stereo image. The increased "solidity" of image.

Depending on which side of the fence you are on, playback is either enhanced (so folks say vinyl is better) or distorted (folks say CD is better).

You pick.

What's so wonderful about that is that the crosstalk you get from the vinyl replay process is responsible for the "improvement" of the stereo image. The increased "solidity" of image.

Depending on which side of the fence you are on, playback is either enhanced (so folks say vinyl is better) or distorted (folks say CD is better).

You pick.

I think I'd pick having the "optimum crossfeed" be recorded and reproduced accurately - or even better the effect that matches your listening environment, particular loudspeaker, room, listening geometry dialed in with a a room correction processor
"relying" on a particular cartridge production tolerance, tonearm alignment to deliver with different pressings from different cutting machines, studios, recording mic placement... in a magically "synergistic" listening set up is wishful thinking

I found a picture to illustrate my point about aliasing near the Fsr/2 frequencies:
Any of the pictured sinewaves could be the original signal, at almost any level.

220px-CriticalFrequencyAliasing.svg.png

These beats/aliasing errors extend down into the midrange, getting smaller as they go of course: but I think we can still hear them as our ears are very very good in the midrange.

Realistically a decent (accurate reproduction) frequency response to 10kHz is pushing it for a CD. Nyquist never said you can go perfectly to Fsr/2 - people just think he did. He said that was the limit, after which the digital information can be interpreted as various different waveforms.

Late coming to thread, just was looking at some posts, didn't nor will read the whole hundreds of pages of the thread. This maybe already addressed but above is incorrect.

The example used shows 3 sines having exact Fsr/2 frequency, which theorem says the signals components must be less than Fsr/2.

If you or who generated the picture used a frequency a little below Fsr/2 with those three sine waves, it would still appear to be coinciding at each sampling point fromthe short time given (7 sampling points only), but as the time advances the difference between sampling values will start to show up.

The sine waves are by theorem are infinite, many people don't consider this.

That all said, because of some other ideal conditions imposed by Nyquist, the higher the sampling in real world the better it is. I am not going to go into it more than than saying Nyquist requires infinite signal and preknowledge of the whole signal, which are both not realistic in real life. The higher the sampling the better it approaches to the idealistic theory case.

Just wanted to correct your conclusion, which are drawn from an example from Fsr/2, and on very limited number of samples.

Are people gullible enough to trust that CD has a real
20KHZ bandwith?...
For whoever think a little, there s blatant evidence that
the high range signals above 5khz are truncated.

Here a graph of a 15khz sine.
The sampling points are displayed by the green curve, i.e,
at the points where the curve abruptely change its slope.

Joining these points , as displayed, and has would do a DAC
converter , show that there s ineherently loss of information,
and that the reconstitued signal can in no way be similar to
the original signal, since the CD format sampling is a lossy conversion,
as its sample rate is way too low..

All the digital processing can do is to calculate a statistical
solution to compensate the absent information, exactly the
same way as it correct the disc bad surface induced missing bits,
replacing the original missing highs by a statisticaly equivalent noise..

As I wrote in the above post, just wanted to correct, you are missing the part that all DACs contain some kind of a low pass filter (requirement of Nyquist), which would filter out the high frequencies that are the cause of the abrupt changes and will leave you with the 15Khz original signal.

That all said, as I wrote in my previous post, this is in theory, and in reality other factors cause some error, but it is not what you wrote.

So still the higher the sampling the better it is, and I will leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.