Hornresp

1. What are the things I need to see in your HornResp SW while designing an offset TL design, I do understand other enclosure designs, so I am only asking specific to TL and and the SW.

3. I see all other graphs like DISPLACEMENT, PHASE, IMPEDANCE, MOUTH VELOCITY etc. DELAY is another graph that is unique to the TL and HornResp, and I want to understand the graph output more and how to use them.

Would anyone with practical experience in designing (preferably using Hornresp) and building transmission line speakers, care to help Mallick out here? Thanks.

Two references I can offer are:

Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design

Hornresp tutorial - How to design a transmission line enclosure - YouTube

Hornresp Update 5300-210623

Hi Everyone,

CHANGE 1

The OHOFP (offset horn, offset flared port) Loudspeaker Wizard now has a port outlet peak particle velocity chart option.

CHANGE 2

Several loose ends associated with displaying the OHOFP port inlet and outlet sound pressure and particle velocity charts via the main acoustical power screen, have been tidied up.

CHANGE 3

The Loudspeaker Wizard F key absorbent filling material on / off toggle switch now also applies to segments 5, 6 and 7 in paraflex horns.

BUG FIX 1

A long-standing minor bug in the operation of the Loudspeaker Wizard L45 slider has been fixed.

BUG FIX 2

The AutoPath flag is now set to False when an OHOFP record is specified. Post #12208 linked below refers:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/119854-hornresp-1221.html#post6697792

BUG FIX 3

The bug found by Mark has been fixed. Post #12215 linked below refers:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/119854-hornresp-1222.html#post6698679

Kind regards,

David

GM and Giri your both throwing in assumptions and IMHO not what I expected as a response in the DIY Audio group.

There is a lot of testing, data gathering modifications/improvements going. Almost all Discussion and data is shared in the Pro chats of the HOQS and is not visible on the public fb group page since most messages there are thrown into the FB 'black hole' in a day or two. We are still adjusting to the new modes in HR and getting actual measurements to the new modes in comparison. It's a learning process. The same happend when the TH mode was introduces in HR so give it some time for good feedback. It's all looking very positive with newer builds based on the new paraflex settings it almost mirror the actual measurements in comparison.

Nevertheless I will post all the measurement data I have gathered into the compound loading 6th quarterwave super planar horns-pipes concepts builds topic.
Maybe a moderator or Admin can rename the topic title to "HOQS Paraflex subwoofers" for a more general informative topic.

I think its a better place to post data than the HornResp topic. Unless there is specific information which compares HornResp sim vs measurement which might be interesting for David and others.

No assumptions. As I clearly stated, I asked for measurements in the HOQWS Facebook group some time ago and the response was that some builder hopefully would. AFAIK, nobody did, even though the group is still full of enthusiasts posting build pictures, videos etc.
Glad to see the measurements posted here.
Cheers.

4. What is the density value of polyester fiber fill I need to input, my supplier gave me data 20Kg/m^3 for 50mm thick, 1000 GSM Polysynth Wool.

With a bit of Googling I found the attached conversion chart for polyester material (Polysynth is polyester). It indicates that a density of 20 kg/m^3 translates to an airflow resistivity of about 1700 Pa.s/m^2 (equivalent to 1700 mks rayls/m).

Attachments

• Airflow-resistivity-as-a-function-of-the-bulk-density-comparison-between-measured-and.png
    Airflow-resistivity-as-a-function-of-the-bulk-density-comparison-between-measured-and.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 176
Hi Everyone,

You might like to add the page linked below to your Favorites list and check in from time to time to see how Bjørn's "Big BenD" bass horn project is progressing. I have seen some photos of the partially completed first horn and it looks brilliant. When the stereo pair is finished and fully integrated into his existing system, the overall performance should be quite exceptional. Dr Kolbrek is eminently qualified to design, construct and test such horns, and we can all learn a lot by following his progress on this very interesting and ambitious project.

The Big BenD Bass Horn

Kind regards,

David

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

You might like to add the page linked below to your Favorites list and check in from time to time to see how Bjørn's "Big BenD" bass horn project is progressing. I have seen some photos of the partially completed first horn and it looks brilliant. When the stereo pair is finished and fully integrated into his existing system, the overall performance should be quite exceptional. Dr Kolbrek is eminently qualified to design, construct and test such horns, and we can all learn a lot by following his progress on this very interesting and ambitious project.

The Big BenD Bass Horn

Kind regards,

David

Bookmarked. Can't wait to see the updates! I wish he was going to reach for 35hz like he mentioned earlier in the article. Hopefully, corner loading will boost the the low end with his 40-45hz goal.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

The Big BenD Bass Horn

Kind regards,

David

This is exciting

In case it's useful, some more sequences using the previous record:

Import same record
Edit
(Main window) L45 Exp -> Par
Tools -> LS Wizard
Dbl clk S4 Manual -> Auto
click left of L34 to decrease L34
Run time 11

Import same record
Edit
Tools -> LS Wizard
click left of L34 to decrease L34
<L34 frozen at -0.1 but recoverable by exiting LS Wizard>

same record, same entry to LS Wizard
(All 100% Keyboard Only)
Downarrow to power display
tab around to L34
keyboard enter value (say 15)
Any mods to L34=>
Fr1 is too large
L34 stuck at -0.10
(seemingly identical excepting Fr1...)

In case it's useful, some more sequences using the previous record:

Thanks grindstone, unfortunately the problems are even worse than those you have observed to date. There are quite serious systemic issues with the slider operations as a result of the recent changes. I have no option but to try to come up with another way of controlling the sliders, which will require a complete re-write of the horizontal scroll bar routines. It will definitely take me more than "a day or so" (assuming that I can think of a suitable new approach to take that actually works).

Eeek. OK, reversion is indicated. There is absolutely no function worth requiring you to do all that. I have more than I could have asked for (and I seem to be the problem-child), and 52.40 worked for all else (excepting 4-seg OD which worked in 52.10). Actually, they all still work just fine! You have done monumental things and I am in your debt. Worst case, the LS Wiz goes away for that "mode"/config, if the config itself doesn't go away--the under-hood-functionality seems solid from what I've tested, it's just the UI/slider-stuff that creaked a little.

Attachments

• they_all_still_work_fine.jpg
    they_all_still_work_fine.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 148
reversion is indicated.

Reversion is not an option :).

Quite deliberately I only keep the source code for the latest release, so that if there are any bugs I am forced to find a way to fix them - a risky strategy I know, but I don't like taking backward steps :).

I have already thought of a different way to potentially control the sliders. I will commence coding tomorrow and see where it takes me. As one of our Australian Prime Ministers once said: "Life wasn't meant to be easy" :).

We have however managed to come a long way since Version 3.1 :).

That results in different databases.

The biggest "upgrade" for me IMO would be if Hornresp shifts to storing its model records the same way that it does its driver records, which would in turn allow for variable record lengths (avoiding the current need to squeeze everything in a model's record into a fixed size). But I don't think that's anywhere on David's to-do list... :)