His Master's Noise: A Thoroughly Modern Tube Phono Preamp

Strange low frequency nose

Hi SY,

I built and really enjoyed this phono amp; it worked well for me with HO MC, 47k input R and no SUT; it really made me grab for a record instead of digital source whenever practical :)

Now, recently I noticed on right channel a very strange low frequency noise, not a consistent hum, but it is like:
tum-tum-tum, then second or two pause, then tum-tum, pause, then tum-tum-tum-tum,....

It is not vey loud, just noticeable on low volume level, but clearly noticeable between the songs when listening on higher volume. At first I was sure it was right channel only, but I notice it also on left channel, just much quieter.

I hooked my scope as was planning to go trough the stages to find out where it comes from but was not able to get anything on the scope; I guess since it is not a consistent frequency, but a bit random...

Would someone have any idea how to go about trouble shooting this; could it be one of the DC blocking capacitors going bad???

I did try swapping all the tubes, but there was no change.

Hi, thanks for quick reply!
I built it on PC boards I got from Jack; it worked perfectly for over a year!
Yes, the boards provide separate regulators for each channel, but it is strange that it is possible (just possible!) to hear this on the left channel as well if set top maximum volume; but this might be crosstalk between the channels?

Would you suggest a method to troubleshoot regulators or should I just replace Q7, Q8, Q9 and Q10 and see if this helps?

It is a very deep noise coming from the woofer cone; basically very similar to tapping the cone with finger. it is a bit random, like 3 taps, then short pause, then 4 taps, then pause, then 2 taps, pause, 4taps,....
Shorting the inputs does not change anything, so it is happening within the amp.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It sounds like it could be conducted EMI through the power line. It does sound like some sort of data signaling.

Changing those transistors isn't going to fix the problem, they're either good or they are broken which is usually obvious due to other symptoms.

I am constantly reminded when I approach things with my cell phone in pocket.. None of my phono stages like it, and the car stereo is worst of all depending on where I place my cell phone.

Hi, thanks, will definitely try relocating it and using different power socket.
It is strange though that only right channel is really effected; on left channel I can also hear it, but just barely on max volume setting.
I am using medical grade power input module that should filter RFI and EMI; wondering it might be actually this module that causes the problem, but, again, I would then expect both channels to be effected the same?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
That's strange. We had the same problem last year with a Meyer Sound powered subwoofer. It would do just that; thump, thump, thump - pause - thump, thump, thump when plugged into the sound board. No ground lift or transformer would cure it. It was in a small theater, never happed again. And no phono preamp was involved!

Let us know what you find. That's an odd one.

Hi, so, I sort it out, at least sort of.
Once I moved the phono amp and TT completely away from other equipment and plugged in different power outlet (before they ware all plugged into same power strip) the thumping sound went away.
What was really strange that first I tried moving just the phono amp, but this did not help; only once the TT was moved it stopped.
I am still struggling to understand what would cause it, especially since all the components remained unchanged, also in position, since first day, but the problem appeared only after a year....
Will try experimenting a bit more and report if I find out something interesting.

Update, some time later...finally found what caused the noise; it was my new router wireless transmitter; as soon as I turn wireless off on the router all the noise is gone. Old router was causing no problems, being in same location, but once it broke and I got a new one that seems to have stronger transmitter....
Anyway, relocated it and solved the problem!

Last edited:
Regarding my last post, after a little googling, I have discovered that the noise contribution of an RC network is dominated by the kTC of the capacitor. In the case of the Zobel network Jones recommends, a 500pF cap would introduce about 4uV of noise.

Perhaps the 6k8 input R in combination with the miller capacitance was satisfactory enough to tame the 8055x? Still curious if the circuit was tried with the Zobel network.

I left the network out because, with the cartridge I was using, the combo of 6k8 and the input tube's Miller ended up giving me nice looking square waves.

Any noise from the Zobel is shunted by the source impedance, so is somewhat smaller than the noise of the network alone. That's dropped another 20dB as well when it's input-referred.

SY-
I just noticed on some other threads that you have been using the Denon DL-103R cartridge. I had intended on using this same cart with HMN as it looks to have specs that would make it well-suited for the Sowter 8055 front end.

Can you tell us anything about your experiences using the DL103R in conjunction with HMN?

Thanks!