High Output Subs that play 20hz to ≥200hz

Are YOU filtering your SUBwoofers at 200hz???

Public Enemy's "Don't Believe The Hype"...

Screenshot_20240417_175544_Samsung Internet.jpg

And I see where he got that range from.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subwoofer

"The typical frequency range that is covered by a subwoofer is about 20–200 Hz for consumer products,[1] below 100 Hz for professional live sound,[2] and below 80 Hz in THX-certified systems."

He came to a DIY site for a CONSUMER PRODUCT frequency response.
Back in 1982, when Public Enemy started to become popular, 200 Hz was a common crossover point between lower and upper drivers in professional high-output live sound use, before the term "subwoofer" became popular in consumer products.
The term "subwoofer" is derived from the prefix "sub" meaning “underneath or lower”, and has been used in that context since the 1970s, long before wiki existed.

That said, Camplo's use of a high frequency compression driver for frequencies down to ~200Hz does not fit any typical product range..

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Back in the early 80’s (and before) 200 Hz was a practical lower limit for a horn loaded 10 or 12” MIDRANGE. If you want it efficient, as in 105 dB/W it’s got to be 1/4 wave loaded. A practical straight horn (with a full or half size mouth) will get you down to 200 - maybe 150 if you’re willing to deal with 6+ cubic foot mids. Boxes that were often flown or stacked. EQing an EVM10L on an 18” long horn down to 80 would run you out of excursion (and amplifier power) quick, so that wasn’t an option. So naturally the bass bins would be expected to go up high enough. They weren’t expected to go below 40 (or even 50 to 60) either.

Back in 1982, when Public Enemy started to become popular, 200 Hz was a common crossover point between lower and upper drivers in professional high-output live sound use, before the term "subwoofer" became popular in consumer products.
The term "subwoofer" is derived from the prefix "sub" meaning “underneath or lower”, and has been used in that context since the 1970s, long before wiki existed.

That said, Camplo's use of a high frequency compression driver for frequencies down to ~200Hz does not fit any typical product range..

Facts.

Car Audio SQ guys would use 200-250hz low pass filters if the subwoofer was mounted in the footwell or dash of a car.

Most of them would use 50-60hz low pass filters if the subwoofer was in the trunk for that "upfront bass."

Clair Brothers JBL front loaded four-way S4 cabinets used 2x18" into 4x10", crossed at 200Hz.
Those were reflex boxes, not horns, right? A lot easier to get a clean 30-200 Hz. And they wanted power handling out of the 10’s - and I’m guessing they were high efficiency in the high 90’s to low 100’s with 3 mm of x-max to keep up with the 18’s, not just over 90 dB/W with 10+ mm.

1713476883531.png

Is there a way to shrink the qw resonators down in length to extend the HF cancelation above 6 x the 1/4(Fb) freq?
much like the OD position brings the driver output/vent closer together, the parallel resonators push them further apart (out of phase at 4/4, 8/4,12/4 etc …. Extended to the 6/4, 10/4…wavelenths .?)

also, roll off on the bottom end starts so above Fb…. 🥲

Last edited:
My subwoofer currently Plays 20hz-200hz. Its been a while but I think I tested it with tones once upon a time but I don't remember the results. Dual 18's 14mm xmax, very low Le, in a ~320 liter box. I do remember testing it with music that had a deep bass note at ~30hz with a vocal lower note at ~200hz. I turned it up very loud and listened for the vocal to distort.... It did not. I'm not sure of SQ at the 200hz crossband vs some type of Cinematic explosion with content down to 20hz or lower... but with the subs in Stereo totalling to 4 18"s I am not worried.

I don't know why I keep researching vented enclosures, It seems only an offset BR has a good enough FR to make it up to a 200hz xo. @Booger weldz if you stuff a tapped horn it seems to work out but what I find intriguing about the BR I posted is the undampened smooth response, basically all that efficiency... I don't need it, per say, I just want for some reason lol

I figured I'd start this thread to see if anything interesting comes a long and to help designers resource solutions for this unique design issue. This type of driver/enslcosure set up is usefull in my opinion, in a design that is a two or 3 way where one is able to cross to such a sub, and then eliminate an additional design to cover sub. Vertically stacked 18's can make it up higher than a 200hz xo, I mean the 4277n is corosed at 600hz. Its just a matter of getting the right drivers and the right amount of drivers etc. The jbl is tuned to 34hz?? but in pairs in a domestic situation it might make it to 20hz? @mitchba might know.

But yeah, its a unique design ask to completely reach 20hz while crossing high but when it works, you eliminate a crossover
1713563725181.png

Last edited:
But yeah, its a unique design ask to completely reach 20hz while crossing high but when it works, you eliminate a crossover
And by eliminating the crossover, either the high output low frequency or bass in the ~100-200Hz range is generally compromised.
That said, my old quad 15" L4 design worked very well with a 200Hz crossover:
L4.JPG

I don't have any surviving measurements, but the Hornresp sim is not far off, using the EVX150 at 6.4mm Xmax.
Current woofers could exceed this level by 6-10dB, though may not sound as good in the upper range:

L4.png

With a bit of EQ, ~35 Hz response still sounded decent.
Lowering the Fb to 30 Hz or 20Hz, the L4 with the EVX150 could still make things happen, but not much thump by comparison, and the 20Hz tuning uses less voltage to reach full excursion.

38,30, 20Hz Fb.png

The long 20 Hz ports have a resonance in the 120Hz range, not good, but still above 115 dB with no room gain with a modest 36 volts. The old Crest amps we used had no problem with the impedance minima of only 1.3 ohms with the Beastie Boys, Nine Inch Nails or Prince.
We were using Brooke-Siren FDS-340 crossovers which had a fixed 20Hz HP filter, almost an octave below the 38Hz Fb...

Using two modern 18" drivers, Mark100's "VTwin" looks like it could easily be tuned down a bit to 20Hz and would kill the L4 in output:
Mark100's V-Twin.png

That said, don't know if it's 200Hz range would still sound good modulated by over 15mm excursion.

Art

Reactions: 1 users
Hi yall, I'm hoping to create a space to talk about subwoofers that reach higher than typically expected, all the while covering down 20hz/30hz without sacrificing the accuracy of its upper passband. Sealed enclosures with multiple large woofers, and high xmax are a good choice. Having pairs of these types of subs only makes things better and being that we are traveling into the realm of localization by playing so high, these types of subs are to be apart of the mains, either by proximity or appendage.

Sealed enclosures as described above make short work of the task... I'd consider something like a large sealed cab, dual 18" with >14mm xmax the status quo. Where it gets interesting is transmission line and bass reflex. Vented Designs need to be a lot more particular. Damping is needed but maybe not in every design. A front loaded horn like the known HT tuba which is an bandpass design where the front horn is entered in offset, may do well thanks to the near 0 CSA at the beginning of the line. Of course it comes with its own sets of pros and cons, the line length creates delay, for example.

I will post some designs that fit the category, and I hope that you guys have some designs that you like as well. There are details that help optimize these types of subs, lets chop it up at our leisure
View attachment 1298663
I know this is a completely different approach/ philosophy, but why not do a 2 in 1 subwoofer? Make something like Genelec does with the W371A or 8381A? I think this will give the range you want, in a smaller package, and optimize detail and clarity

That's what I did. In my design I combined Lab 12's (sealed) and 12" Dayton Ultimax (ported). I have cabinets with 2 subs each, and with some careful equilization I can get a nearly flat frequency response from 20-100hz, similar to common multiple subwoofer methods.

Here are raw measurements of the 2 separate drivers from one of my speakers. The ported sub is ~100 liters and low passed at 100hz, and the sealed sub is ~30 liters (1 cubic foot) and low passed at 250hz. (No smoothing):

Screen Shot 2024-04-19 at 8.27.51 PM.jpg

Here is the combined result of 2 pairs of these 2 in 1 subs with some DSP. (No smoothing.):

Screen Shot 2024-04-19 at 8.37.23 PM.jpg

Genelec's W371A uses the sealed + ported approach, and the 8381 uses dual opposed drivers for the low frequencies. So I suppose there are lots of solutions.

Reactions: 2 users
I was looking at the Bill Fitzmaurice cabinet plans to see how wack his subs got and that appears to be this one. It's a 2x12", measures 60"x30"x30", and is designed so that if you want to bring down the footprint you can lose one of the 12"s and build it as 60"x30"x15". Purports to be about -16.5dB down at 30. There's also a 1x15" option.