High-end preamp for my GC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My experience is that it sounds better even when driving pwer amps.I am currently using the PPA headphone amp with four paralleled buffers per channel as my preamp.I thought that one buffer would be enough for preamp duty (250ma per buffer) but when I started adding buffers the dynamics went thru the roof - huge difference.Made the gainclone sound like a kilowatt hi-end amp with no smearing or lack of finesse.

protos said:
My experience is that it sounds better even when driving pwer amps.I am currently using the PPA headphone amp with four paralleled buffers per channel as my preamp.I thought that one buffer would be enough for preamp duty (250ma per buffer) but when I started adding buffers the dynamics went thru the roof - huge difference.Made the gainclone sound like a kilowatt hi-end amp with no smearing or lack of finesse.

Would that be inverting or non-inverting GC ?

IGC but I used it balanced or pseudo balanced as some would say usually with a PASS BLS.Now the PPA is a little strange in that it has a buffered ground channel so it is not really balanced but I am using this ground channel as reference for one input with a three wire "balanced" connection with separate normal ground connection on the third wire. Sounds better this way.

Finally built the second channel and applied the mods-

All I can say is that if the GC was a great DIY discovery, this pre is equal in impact! Soundstage is amazing-This is the best I have heard and considering the small outlay, this is the best bang for buck DIY can provide. Music is simply delicious...You actually listen to a musician communicating now-not just information but emotion. :bawling:
Carlosfm was right on the 200pF cap-it cures some edginess-Seems it may be worth playing around with.

A strongly recommended upgrade to the GC! Thanks to Pavel Macura and Carlosfm for introducing the delights of this beautiful device. :att'n: :bigeyes: :D

Rest of system: Proceed PDT3, Theta DAC, NIGC, Royd doublet speakers

Ryan

Dr.H said:
Finally built the second channel and applied the mods-

All I can say is that if the GC was a great DIY discovery, this pre is equal in impact! Soundstage is amazing-This is the best I have heard and considering the small outlay, this is the best bang for buck DIY can provide. Music is simply delicious...You actually listen to a musician communicating now-not just information but emotion. :bawling:
Carlosfm was right on the 200pF cap-it cures some edginess-Seems it may be worth playing around with.

A strongly recommended upgrade to the GC! Thanks to Pavel Macura and Carlosfm for introducing the delights of this beautiful device. :att'n: :bigeyes: :D

Rest of system: Proceed PDT3, Theta DAC, NIGC, Royd doublet speakers

Ryan

You are right ;) .

Glad to bring enjoyment :) .

Pavel

Could someone post the Power Supply schematic for this pre. I am very interested in building one, but am finding it hard to piece together from the descriptions.

You could try this Lee. It will work very well and I have used it for preamps, active crossovers and a sub woofer control circuit.

Please note that on the diagram showing the second stage of voltage regulation (shown in the crossovers section), the resistor values are transposed, ie the blue ones are 240R and the lilac ones are 2K7's

Alternatively, any PSU producing a +/- 15 volt supply will do.

Any comments on my PCB?

I've made a PCB for a this preamp with the BUF634T at the end of the PCB so I can attach it to the cabinet which has heatsink-walls.
Any comments about the layout? Is the decoupling/coupling ok? I Intend to use 100nF ceramic and 100uF electrolytics (Panasonic FC). The red traces will be wire links.

Attachments

• preamp.png
    preamp.png
    20 KB · Views: 1,403
Alcaid said:
I managed to shrink the distance a bit. Are they close enough? Will I get any problems like oscillation? (hard to answer, I know)

As Nuuk has said, you can move electrolytes. For bypassing reasons, the ceramics are important. I do not suppose the oscillation problem, but it is customary to keep the shortest distance between the BUF and the OA, just to minimalize signal and feedback tracks. Then you'll get lowest distortion, best RFI imunity and low stray capacitances.

Regards,
Pavel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.