High-end 3-way active Avalon look-alike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First thanks and welcome back '
Short about my eqp-.that I have build.
I have a passive 3w 11.2 Eton (kit) speakers driven by
ucd400ad modified stereo amp-.
my room is 17 sq meter 220cm height with acoustic treatment.
I can say that I am happy with them.

I am interest on one of the Avalon like projects
And Since I already have pair of 12680 drivers
Maybe project around like you did can be the option.

As I understand your speakers are close to the eidolon model- their they
talking about large room volume needed for the edildon,
What is your room volume?
Now after a year of using what is your satisfaction from them?
Can you tell few emphasized main advantages of the active set up ?
Thanks
Moshe dp16644@elbit.co.il

Probably the speakers you have now are quite nice. Have you ever measured them? It appears to me that the filter is fairly straight forward.

As for my speakers: I'm very happy with them

They play in a dedicated room which is 4 metres wide and 8 metres long. Ceiling height is 3,3 metres.
So it's quite a big room. :D

At present, I don't have acoustic treatment. I have that on my to do list, however.

The advantages of active set-up are multiple. I think I've been preaching that in several topics already. Read e.g. this topic

To make a little update:

I was very happy with the THEL filter I'm using, until an audio-friend came along with a pair of Bryston 10b active cross overs.

We did a comparison between the two. The Bryston was quite noisy, but also had much more spatiality than the THELs. The soundstage actually became metres deep. Wow! There is something to be gained here.

It is obvious to me, that a step needs to be made. ;)

This month I will invite the Dutch importer of DEQX in my home to assess the qualities of the DEQX digital crossover. Once I know what that's worth, I will make my choice.

I also considered the Groundsound system, but I don't see any means to try it out. It's a bit too expensive for a blind buy. :dunno:

Anyhow, that's where I am. At the moment I'm still using the THEL filter, which still sounds great. :D

Hi fqroen
You have a real large room!
It is not sure that every room need acoustic treatment.
But if yes you can find helpful information in-http://www.goodwinshighend.com/roomdesi.htm
I modified my very "hard walls" and resonant basement to a pleasant music room thanks to their information.

I didn’t measure my speakers ,just the drivers.
What test eqp, and software Do you use for testing the speakers?
Have a right decision on your next active crossover.
moshe

Some time has passed since the last post...

I haven't been sitting still in the mean time.

The DEQX importer has been to my place, and I was blown away by it. As a consequence, I now have a DEQX. :D

Although the hardware is not the most revolutionary available, it's the software that makes the difference.

After some tests and variations, I now have quite a satisfying set-up. The DEQX adds a huge precision which results in heaps of 3D imaging, individual instruments that are precisely placed and are present in the image as a "body", instead of an image on a wall paper.

Al in all, I'm very happy with this move.

More to follow.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
fgroen said:
Some time has passed since the last post...

I haven't been sitting still in the mean time.

The DEQX importer has been to my place, and I was blown away by it. As a consequence, I now have a DEQX. :D

Although the hardware is not the most revolutionary available, it's the software that makes the difference.

After some tests and variations, I now have quite a satisfying set-up. The DEQX adds a huge precision which results in heaps of 3D imaging, individual instruments that are precisely placed and are present in the image as a "body", instead of an image on a wall paper.

Al in all, I'm very happy with this move.

More to follow.

The DEQX really is excellent. I'm useless with passive crossovers or maybe not useless but I can't get them to sound as good as the active solutions such as the DEQX and PC XO setups.

Glad your enjoying it :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.