• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Hi-end GM70 amplifier with only 2 stages

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Account Closed
Joined 2008
I am trying to understand your post.
Well, if you know how to calculate and measure the ACTUAL losses you will understand...

You wrote that the loss is similar to the Lundhal trafo; this is great!
Lundhal is a very good producers, if F.I.A.T. made a trafo with comparable characteristics it is a success!!
Only at low frequency, given the info avalilable. I don't think you can match the Lundhals for the other things because the E+I type or conventional C core plus a conventional coil former won't give you all the advantages of the Lundhls' layout in any case...it is just simple as that.

The main goal was to develop a stuff with a good ratio between cost and performance.
That's another statement which is quite different from saying that you match the Lundahls....
Regarding the dc on secondary, have you measured it on this trafo?
In the link above it says this is 0.3 ohms which means 327 ohms when referred to the primary. You just need to multiply 0.3 ohms by the square turn ratio, just as you do for the primary impedance....

Regarding AC resistence, have you check it on this trafo for different frequencies?
Waltube it is sure 100% that minimum losses are ALWAYS achieved when using half space for the primaries and half for the secondaries. It is mathematical.....in practice this can vary a little bit (say 52-54% for one and 48-46% for the other, for example) and using wire of slightly different gauges in order to get the desired parameters like turn ratio, inductance etc...However if you depart a lot from that condition you will never get minimal losses. You can find the demonstration of that in any good transformer book....
I have only supposed you are not in an ideal condition because this is what it looks like....if you are in an more or less ideal condition the better for you but I don't believe it! It is up to you to demonstrate that....
Also, given the LIMITED high frequency response you show there are quite good amounts of stray capacitances + leakege inductance. All these things set the high frequency response.....

Normally I accept the critics about project when someone bought the parts and make it.
This is a forum Waltube and everyone is free to do what he wants if he doesn't break the rules. I make transformers for myself but don't go in the forums telling they are the best just because I made them....I don't need any approval or opinions from anyone and don't make them to sell......
This means that there is a true interest to find a better solutions.
This is not your case.

How can you tell that? You don't even know me!
I have just made my point.
If you were a bit less arrogant maybe this discussion could go on in a polite way but I guess you are not here for this. You just want to SELL your OPT's.... :eek:

p.s-= 45 is a number, not a name!!

That is my nick. I don't care if you don't like it....

Last edited:
New Gm70 SET from Poland

Gm70.eu

Attachments

• Portfolio Gm70.jpg
    Portfolio Gm70.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 521
It Is not my design.....design HIGH TENSION.
8Hz in audio its nothing for good quality speaker 20Hz to 20khz
Good choke and good cap quality only.

Im not GREEN! work 20 years with tube amplifier repair, upgrade AUDIO NOTE, CARY, AYON,LUXMAN and many many brands.

My design is commercial use..
Please give us yours project 2 stage amplifier and photo

Best Regards

Andrew from Poland

Account Closed
Joined 2008
It Is not my design.....design HIGH TENSION.
8Hz in audio its nothing for good quality speaker 20Hz to 20khz
Good choke and good cap quality only.
A resonance is resonance. 8Hz resonance will nicely couple with PSU resonance in the same range, especially in SE amplifiers, and also shows its effects well into the audio range, most of the bass, with a rather reactive load. A proper transformer is miles better.

Im not GREEN! work 20 years with tube amplifier repair, upgrade AUDIO NOTE, CARY, AYON,LUXMAN and many many brands.
And so?

Account Closed
Joined 2008
Good for you but it doesn't turn that design from poor to good. As I said you only need to remove anode and grid chokes and the coupling cap. Replace those with a good transformer. Measure it and listen to it and you'll see.
You can try with a Lundahl LL2756 or LL2762. Both are suitable for 5K source impedance. You can also optimize the air-gap for best combination of DC current and primary inductance. If the plate choke has much more DC resistance and you want the same anode voltage then you can add another RC filter before supplying the driver. It's easy. With 20 years experience you should be able to do it....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.