• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Hi-end DSP based multi-channel integrated Preamp/Crossover/DAC project

Matching amplifiers

Gain / power driver sensitivity are all worth while aspects to plan for.
But I have found that matching the phase performance of power amps is the single most important aspect....

I have heard a lot of active systems....The best use identical power amps and use linear phase FIR filters.
Many valve and vinyl guys have tried to mix "valves up top and transistors down below" .....It never sounds a s good as using identical power amps.

Hope this helps.
Derek.

I'm planning to build the Linkwitz LX 521.4. Supposed to be one of the best sounding systems with one of the best minds doing the design. I think most of the gain, driver sensitivity etc. has been discussed in their forum.

I just want the best possible results so I'm shooting for identical amplifiers.

I'm planning to build the Linkwitz LX 521.4. Supposed to be one of the best sounding systems with one of the best minds doing the design. I think most of the gain, driver sensitivity etc. has been discussed in their forum.

I just want the best possible results so I'm shooting for identical amplifiers.

I heard them at Linkwitz's house. He and his gracious wife are as down to earth as he is smart.

And the speakers?...... They are simply outstanding and far better than anything i have heard by a huge margin

I heard them at Linkwitz's house. He and his gracious wife are as down to earth as he is smart.

And the speakers?...... They are simply outstanding and far better than anything i have heard by a huge margin

Cool. I'd love to be able to attend the open house May 14-15. Nelson Pass will be stopping by. I wish I could audition them myself. Haven't been able to find anyone in Boston area who's built them. Would also be nice to build systems and get together with other builders too. However, there's probably a limited number of people interested in such a project.

< 1K USD = 1/2~1/3 of what I was expecting This is gonna be big and popular. Can't wait.

Just to clarify, this is for the DSP board alone. Other boards will be significantly cheaper and the total cost will depend on the end configuration. For example a minimal system may just need a USB audio interface in which case you don't need the digital audio IO board and analog audio board. Also you may only need unbalanced RCA's or balanced XLR board but not both. However you will still need the power supply board, user controls board and LCD display but these are not big ticket items. Throw in a remote control as well.

In any case it is a complete solution and you don't need to spend extra on external I-V converters or DAC boards etc.

cheers
david

labjr,
Lazy Cat is working on a higher powered version but hasn't announced the release date yet. If you want to build something yourself then look at the Slewmaster thread, those amps can go over 200 watts per channel with the correct output devices.

I'm open minded. I'm looking for reasonably priced amps with good performance. It's hard to tell what is good in the DIY market? Would be nice if the Hypex modules were more reasonably priced too. 10 channels would be expensive.

Did I read yesterday's Facebook update correctly that the Rev-B2 with new ADC will soon be ready? Will you soon be able to evaluate your test unit with the analog input board incorporated?

I will have to build the analog board which is one board I have not submitted to the pcb fabricators. It will probably need some changes as an after thought to having replaced the original ADC. However I can still test the ADC without the analog board.

cheers
david

I'm keeping the ES9018 Sabre DAC in the design. Firstly unlike the Sabre ADC which was a flop the Sabre DAC is a well established part and has been around for quite some time and used in a lot of hi-end products. Secondly I have invested too much time into designing it in. Thirdly it has some outstanding features built into the silicon which are just not available on other DAC's and well worth the premium price. Lastly I have been evaluating it on a prototype that I have recently completed, and for the last two weeks using speakers and headphones and it is a truly superb sounding DAC. ;)

cheers

P1030767.jpg

P1030764.jpg

P1030765.jpg

This is a very neat project, this must have taken years of experience to complete.

Curious
You using a CPLD ? interesting what is its purpose ?