• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Hi-end DSP based multi-channel integrated Preamp/Crossover/DAC project

Tranquility Bass,
Just monitoring this conversation I wanted to ask if you removed the troubles with getting the chips which of the two companies ESS and AKM would you choose based just on performance of the parts? Given that things are always changing and both companies keep putting out new product which would you choose? Have we gotten to a point where the performance is good enough that it doesn't truly matter anymore for audio reproduction purposes?

Thanks, Steven

Put it this way, if I was to start this project today I would seriously consider using the AKM parts ;) The price and availability is better and the performance based on the feedback for the AK4495EQ from others is probably just as good as ESS.

$5.96 for an AK4458 from digikey vs $65 for an ES9018S from Aliexpress !! And I have forked over $500 AUD for half a dozen Sabre DAC's that I still don't actually have :(

cheers

Wow, talking about a price differential. I had no idea that ESS was charging that dollar amount just for the raw chip, that doesn't include all the other requirements plus your design work. Think I'd be asking for a return of funds. For a comparable product that is just to large a differential in costs.

Thanks Tranquility.

Put it this way, if I was to start this project today I would seriously consider using the AKM parts ;) The price and availability is better and the performance based on the feedback for the AK4495EQ from others is probably just as good as ESS.

$5.96 for an AK4458 from digikey vs $65 for an ES9018S from Aliexpress !! And I have forked over $500 AUD for half a dozen Sabre DAC's that I still don't actually have :(

cheers

Just an idea:
If the new AK4497 (2ch) would be as favourable in price as the AK4458 (but not spectacular DR-S/N 115, THD+N-107 dB) than this would be very nice and utmost flexible if orders can be taken for 4 variants::rolleyes:
---2ch-in / PRE
---2..8ch / DSP, x-over
---2 or 4 or 6 or 8ch-out / 1x up to 4x stereo-DAC AK4497 :eek:

Last edited:
I heard some rumors that ESS DACs do some calculation errors. I am not sure where, but I suspect it is related to the upsampling.

But another issue that should be taken into consideration is that even a differential ESS9018s rarely reaches 120dB SNR. Focusing too much on the raw chip data does not lead to a good product.

I agree 100% with Windforce. The DAC is far more than good enough, the 1622 would give a killer output buffer that can drive any load, the upsampler is a great product, and combined with a 5394 or 5397 you would have a great combo.

What is your plan for clock?

The real question would be how POS could implement the AKM chips into his current design and not have wasted all that time to develop what he has. At the same time this chasing the absolute lowest noise floor while the commercial music we can get isn't even close to that makes you wonder where are you getting the source material to use this super design POS has proposed? The dynamic range of 99% of commercial music, whether hi-rez or whatever source just doesn't come close to these levels of audio nirvana achievable with the best of these ESS chips.

@Tranquility Bass, or anyone, thx

How can your planned AP-system of 2-dig-in/dsp/8-ana-out be used in a MCH set up like 5.1 or 7.1 or whatever?

---i.e. 5.1 using four AP-units for 5 speakers at max 4-way, plus max 4 subs

I am still confused how and with what to connect from source (computer MB/PCIe/cable) and in between these 5 units for control (volume & DAC sync) such system.

@Tranquility Bass, or anyone, thx

How can your planned AP-system of 2-dig-in/dsp/8-ana-out be used in a MCH set up like 5.1 or 7.1 or whatever?

---i.e. 5.1 using four AP-units for 5 speakers at max 4-way, plus max 4 subs

I am still confused how and with what to connect from source (computer MB/PCIe/cable) and in between these 5 units for control (volume & DAC sync) such system.

Typically for a minimum system you would use active speakers for the front speakers and the others would remain as they are connected to your HT receiver amps. The dsp preamp would be connected to your main preamp outs on your HT receiver and HT bypass would be enabled on the dsp preamp.

To make the other speakers active would require more dsp preamps.

cheers

Typically for a minimum system you would use active speakers for the front speakers and the others would remain as they are connected to your HT receiver amps. The dsp preamp would be connected to your main preamp outs on your HT receiver and HT bypass would be enabled on the dsp preamp.

To make the other speakers active would require more dsp preamps.

cheers

THX for reply, but this was not realy what I was looking for.

Asume a set up with 5 identical active speakers at max 4-way, plus 4 subs in the corners, than three AP-units are required: 1) mains 2) surrounds 3) center+subs(LFE).

---Question was what to do if computer is the source (not HT processor), with what technic to feed the signal towards the 3x PA-units (for PCM+DSD)?
---And furthermore what about master volume control and DACsync/clock for these 3 (or more) AP-units?