• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Hi-end DSP based multi-channel integrated Preamp/Crossover/DAC project

Hi, first post, I do follow this with much interest, but some questions if I may:

1) Can AP, and if so, how will the DSP handle crossover settings for a DSD source?

2) Would Thunderbolt III with 40Gb/s and the option to daisychain 6 units per CPU port be worthwhile?

I think I can answer to this:

1: DSD will be converted to PCM before processing if the system will be equipped with an SRC with DSD-support.

2: If you should connect units together, one would probably just distribute i2s (audio) and i2c (control) between the modules.

Thanks.

1) This is common practice, but I always though that going from DSD to PCM is a bad compromise, hence a waste of the DAC's original DSD capabilities.

Of course it is possible (and over the years even better and better) to do these conversions, going from original DSD to PCM, than DSP and back from PCM to DSD again, like using the new SRC:

● PCM / DSD conversion function AK4137EQ supports conversion from 2.8/5.6/11.2MHz DSD to PCM format, and vice versa.
● Maximum Sampling Frequency, Bit rate: PCM768kHz/32-bit, DSD256(11.2MHz)
● DR: 186dB
● THD+N: -150dB
● Sound Color Digital Filter: 4 types

2) For a multi channel system with multi-way active speakers, than all those DAC's need to be synchronized. For a relative simple 5.1 with 3-way speakers plus subwoofer it sums to 8 stereo-DACs. It needs master/slave clock, isn't it?

Since i.e. Apogee can daisychain 6 units per TB3 port I thought that could be a likewise benefit for this AP 2ch-in-pre/dsp/8ch-out-dac.

Is that clock function possible as well with i2c?

Thanks.

1) This is common practice, but I always though that going from DSD to PCM is a bad compromise, hence a waste of the DAC's original DSD capabilities.

Of course it is possible (and over the years even better and better) to do these conversions, going from original DSD to PCM, than DSP and back from PCM to DSD again, like using the new SRC:

● PCM / DSD conversion function AK4137EQ supports conversion from 2.8/5.6/11.2MHz DSD to PCM format, and vice versa.
● Maximum Sampling Frequency, Bit rate: PCM768kHz/32-bit, DSD256(11.2MHz)
● DR: 186dB
● THD+N: -150dB
● Sound Color Digital Filter: 4 types

2) For a multi channel system with multi-way active speakers, than all those DAC's need to be synchronized. For a relative simple 5.1 with 3-way speakers plus subwoofer it sums to 8 stereo-DACs. It needs master/slave clock, isn't it?

Since i.e. Apogee can daisychain 6 units per TB3 port I thought that could be a likewise benefit for this AP 2ch-in-pre/dsp/8ch-out-dac.

Is that clock function possible as well with i2c?

You have to convert DSD to PCM because the DSP doesn't understand anything other than PCM.

The key point is how you do the conversion ;) There are some chips that can do this such as the AKM part but I believe it uses an SRC as part of the process.

For a multi-way system you just need to sync the word clock and not the master clock so long as the two master/slave clocks are within a certain tolerance to each other.

cheers
david

The key point is how you do the conversion ;) There are some chips that can do this such as the AKM part but I believe it uses an SRC as part of the process.

Thanks. Seems this new one will do the trick:

"AKM will announce the flagship “VERITA” DAC AK4497 at CES 2016. AKM will release the detail of product spec and demo using the reference design combines AKM’s newest SRC, (AK4137), to achieve the up-sampling from any input to, 768kHz/32-bit."

Unfortunately it's a two channel device and not available yet so I would need 4 of these and much more board real estate but I can see this chip being a serious alternative to the Sabre DAC for two channel. At least you will be able to easily purchase them outside the US !! I am still waiting for 6 pieces of the Sabre DAC that Price-USA sent to someone else that I ordered months ago :(

cheers

That's all very well but what about the ADC they have pulled from the market ?

Also how about supplying these parts through reputable distribution channels with proper supply channels rather than having to buy them from dubious ebay sellers who supply them without proper anti-static protection or suppliers that can't ship outside the US :(

cheers

That's all very well but what about the ADC they have pulled from the market ?

Also how about supplying these parts through reputable distribution channels with proper supply channels rather than having to buy them from dubious ebay sellers who supply them without proper anti-static protection or suppliers that can't ship outside the US :(

cheers

Yep - a shambles lately just renaming lots of parts for marketing reasons. The ADC had errors in the silicon from what I have read, no one has been able to reliably modify filters. A few have tried to make those ADCs work but no one has succeeded. I thought there was a rumour it was coming back at some time, once they do another revision.

Alternative multichannel DACs are unappealing. I'm doing an AKM 4458 design to stack on miniSHARC after toying with designs for ESS for a long time.

I thought Shaw Electronics would send to Au? I'd discussed getting samples with them but didn't order because I didn't finish the PCB design I had in mind.

Yep - a shambles lately just renaming lots of parts for marketing reasons. The ADC had errors in the silicon from what I have read, no one has been able to reliably modify filters. A few have tried to make those ADCs work but no one has succeeded. I thought there was a rumour it was coming back at some time, once they do another revision.

Alternative multichannel DACs are unappealing. I'm doing an AKM 4458 design to stack on miniSHARC after toying with designs for ESS for a long time.

I thought Shaw Electronics would send to Au? I'd discussed getting samples with them but didn't order because I didn't finish the PCB design I had in mind.

AK4458 is a good candidate providing you don't need an asynchronous upsampler. Shaw don't send outside the US but you have to read the fine-print on their website before you order. If you put through an order you don't realize until weeks later when nothing turns up and they still have your funds with no correspondence whatsoever !!

On the other hand AKM is readily available from digikey and so are the data sheets and app notes !!

Don't get me wrong the Sabre DAC is a very capable chip for what it does although it is relatively expensive compared to the new AKM parts.

cheers

Unfortunately it's a two channel device and not available yet so I would need 4 of these and much more board real estate but I can see this chip being a serious alternative to the Sabre DAC for two channel. At least you will be able to easily purchase them outside the US !! I am still waiting for 6 pieces of the Sabre DAC that Price-USA sent to someone else that I ordered months ago :(

cheers

So, then it is finally time to look at the distribution of I2S and make 2 channel output boards that can be stacked.

I bet the 4497 is available in quantities long before you can get your hands on a significant quantity from ESS. AKM is probably also able to provide you with pin compatible dacs for you to finish your design.

Why not got someone in the States to order for you and get them to forward the products to your address?

This can't be that hard.

I did !! I got Price-USA to order me a couple of Sabre ADC chips because Shaw said they still had some in stock. When I organized Price-USA to order a couple they no longer had any left ! Then not to waste the booking fee that I'd already put down I then got them to order half a dozen Sabre DAC's but Price-USA inadvertently screwed up the delivery and sent my order to someone else and vice versa. I now have 10 made-in-the-USA dentist tools instead of the DAC's !! I'm waiting on them to fix up the order but it would be quicker to order more from ebay :(

Can't win on this front :(

cheers

Tranquility Bass,
Just monitoring this conversation I wanted to ask if you removed the troubles with getting the chips which of the two companies ESS and AKM would you choose based just on performance of the parts? Given that things are always changing and both companies keep putting out new product which would you choose? Have we gotten to a point where the performance is good enough that it doesn't truly matter anymore for audio reproduction purposes?

Thanks, Steven