HF1440 New Ring Compression Driver from Faital Pro.

I tried to measure the hf1440 with rew in my livingroom on XT1464 and LTH142 respectively. The measurments are not calibrated, not at the same signal level, and generally quick and dirty (family away for the weekend so I can divide a room for new daughter, not much time for playing) Gating 6 ms. Lots of nearby surfaces. Attaching them in case anyone is interested.

Attachments

• xt1464.png
    xt1464.png
    38.3 KB · Views: 688
  • lth142.png
    lth142.png
    20.1 KB · Views: 676
No EQ, just raw drivers. I found them used with horns from Denmark and a pair of 15pr400 used from Sweden. Good that the graphs look easy to work with - I'm trying to "design" my first pair of speakers and have never done a crossover=)

The graphs look rather similar to me, so I will go with the xt1464 since discussion here gives the impression that it is slightly preferred to lth142, does this seem resonable?

I tried to measure the hf1440 with rew in my livingroom on XT1464 and LTH142 respectively. The measurments are not calibrated, not at the same signal level, and generally quick and dirty (family away for the weekend so I can divide a room for new daughter, not much time for playing) Gating 6 ms. Lots of nearby surfaces. Attaching them in case anyone is interested.

Hi, I am wondering about this bump step around 1k3 in both horns. The second driver measures the same? Seems not to be a linear driver.

Compare this to the ND3N attached to LTH142. Much superior.

ND3N@LTH142_SPL.jpg

I have also suspected that this bump is related to the impedance side peak which is very high (about 40 Ohms).

What amps were used for the measurements - voltage source? Maybe a current source would help or try to use a high value series resistor with the driver.

Or were any capacitors used during measurement to protect the driver?

Sadly manufacturers to not provide much info hoe their curves were generated (equipment, horn, smoothing, etc.).

I redid the measurements with the lastest rew 5.20 beta, 2 ms window, mic calibration and mic at horn mouth, there is still a 6 dB dip centered around 1,3-1,4 kHz. Ärsch!

The dip seem to occur exactly where the driver's impedance side peak is. If we assume simply that P = U**2 / R then the voltage source amp might provide much less output power P into the bigger load R resistance.

What I would try now is a setup with amp out following first a 10 ohms parallel resistor and after this an 100 ohms resistor in series with the driver.

The difference would then be about 108 (normal) to 140 (peak) and without this setup 8 to 40.