Here my lartest product of a DIY turntable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My DIY turntable

is made of an old EDS1000-2 DD motor from a Dual CS721, the OPS tonearm was taken from a Dual CS5000 and is a extended Version (by me) to 9.5zoll(ca. 242mm instead 221mm of the orginal) with headshell from a CS505-2.
It works very good and quite. In- and outerplatter came from a Linn Sondek.
The three feets are from a Linn Basik.
The OPS tonearm is some very special, it sounds surprisingly good with Audio Technica AT-ML180OCC or Linn K-18II(these cartriges are my alltime favourite MMs since longtime!).
Both Cartridges has get a re-tipping with a ATN150MLX needle.

Attachments

• MeinDual.JPG
    MeinDual.JPG
    197.9 KB · Views: 918
  • MeinDual3.JPG
    MeinDual3.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 897
  • MeinDual6.JPG
    MeinDual6.JPG
    197.9 KB · Views: 863
  • MeinDual7.JPG
    MeinDual7.JPG
    193.2 KB · Views: 843
  • MeinDual8.JPG
    MeinDual8.JPG
    195.7 KB · Views: 822
  • MeinDual11.JPG
    MeinDual11.JPG
    193.9 KB · Views: 311
  • OPS1.JPG
    OPS1.JPG
    184 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:
@directdriver:
The Linn platters are defintely an improvemend (3,6 kg flywheel mass) over the Duals, with Sondek platter Sound seems more serious with cleaner and stronger bass. With the orginal Dual platter(I tried the 2,5kg 701 as well as the 1,5kg 721 platter) were not really flat and kind of windy in Bass region.

@von Ah:
Yes, its THE Citation Receiver!

Last edited:
Dual 701/721 projects

One member did something like that along the same line in another thread. Instead of a subplatter + outerplatter, he replaced the stock platter with an acrylic platter.

Tonearm03.jpg

Tonearm04.jpg

Tonearm02.jpg

The Dual motor is full of potentials!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Other projects I found online using the Dual 701 in slate or wood plinths.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

DIYDual701motor.jpg

DIYTT1.jpg

adnvjp.jpg

Some of the DIY things above around the EDS1000 I had seen in the NET! From there came the idea for my own project from.
Its a nice and uncomplicated DD drive!
For a long time Ive used an precirkus LP12 (about 14years), but when Ive heard the EDS 1000 for the first time in my own design, Ive never get back to my Sondek!
Ive even try a Origin Live SilverIII and EncounterIII tonearm with the EDS1000 with very good results over the LP12. Yes, there is a lot of potential in it!!!!

Last edited:
I think having such a large surface area plinth made out of resonating material is a very bad idea. Especially if the arm is hard coupled to it.

There's hardly any noise from the motor. It's probably the quietest table I've owned and the bearing quality is very high. One reason I love direct drive turntable is the lack of noise from motor, after all the motor/platter spins at half hertz, 33rpm. The main concern is isolation from airborne vibration from the speaker.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.