Help with Marantz NR1604 Firmware

@bucis I tried the update today but it will not work as the files you sent are for the EU version and not the North America vs. I tried just renaming the folder under firmware but that did not work. The file you provided folder is 100100200200 looks like i need the 100100200100. I found this in a manual.
Is there any other workaround?

1699638637673.png

Hi @bucis (or anyone else that has the firmware).

I just came into possession of a NR1604 that has no sound output (all the menus work fine over HDMI connection but the front panel is blank). I'm hoping a firmware update will resolve the issues but like so many others I can't update via the menu. Would be very grateful if you are able to send me the files. Can you PM me so I can pass on my email address?

Many thanks

Gary

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'm not sure on these new models. In the old days, we would disconnect the memory backup battery and short that line, the reconnect. I don't think you have a backup battery any longer. Try the factory reset a couple times.

The unit did work with the firmware it has. Therefore either something isn't working, or the program was corrupted. Check the power supplies, also for noise on the regulated side. If your supplies aren't right, forget everything until they are.

They sure don't make things like they used to!

@garyjjg I sent you a DM.
Just to reiterate what has been said elsehwere in various threads, the only firmware that seems to exist in the community is the EU file set. Given you have a Scottish flag on your profile, perhaps it will work for you.
I will join others here for the record and say I have been unsuccessful locating a file set that will work for my US unit.

Thanks for the suggestions @anatech. Was hoping (probably unrealistically) that a firmware re-flash might do the trick but suspect I will have to investigate the internals. Just downloading the service manual for the schematics.

This is probably the most complex bit of kit I've attempted to repair. Worlds away from the Marantz PM40 SE that I was working on previously. You're right saying they don't make them like they used to!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
New products are difficult to service, right down to very light PCB construction and thin traces and donuts. They are not made to be repairable. On top of that, some sections are allowed to run very hot, certainly not a Marantz type design from long ago. From what I have seen, many other brands are worse, or the Philips-"Marantz" product.

Whenever anything stops working, the question is always "what changed"? If you troubleshoot from that premise you should be able to get it right.

Hello everyone,

Not sure of right place to ask but here we go.
Ive got NR1602 AVR and have, apparently well known issue with it. It will not decode DD+ Source with hdmi and instead i get only some weird noise.
Now is it possible to fix it with Firmware update? Is there one to download at all? I habe tried via Network. Connection failed all the time.
So is there a download file for it? If yes does someone has it and is willing to send it? Alongside with instructions would be nice. Thank you guys.

my email: i.gavrande@gmail.com