Help the Ijit: woofers in wall ledge?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've never installed an in-wall speaker but I'd like to. I don't know the exact architecture terms, but my built in 2003 Florida home has decorative "ledges" (let's call them) that are normally used to collect dust, display ugly kitsch like baskets, and a refuge for the scared cat of the family :) [Photo in next message]. There is a space up there easily 2-3 feet wide, that I could flat mount a woofer in. Main advantage for me: my butchery would be hidden from passers-by and also minimal damage in the event I abort the experiment. Other than an ugly cord runnign down the front wall to its amp, I see no problems. Does this sound like a good baffle to mount woofer(s) upon, or am I missing important stuff? So far as I know, the walls are your standard gypsum board, two-by-four interior (not load bearing).

53dd3fcf28c98c2456ac02d128950183.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk

GM

Joined 2003
Standard wall construction doesn't handle LFs at high power or we could make HT 'subs' out of drywall. but for modest playback and a low XO point, this area can work well, though may need to partition it and/or be mindful of how its organ pipe modes may affect the performance; otherwise best to limit these areas to Muzak type systems.

GM

OK! I will just resurrect the Frankenclosure [TM] and perhaps build some normal-ish sealed cabs for my 15" subs or the 12" pair floating around. I think my pair of 24" pseudo-synergy horns are a keeper; they just need a little bit of help < 150 Hz :)

Sent from my NV570P using Tapatalk

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.