Help: Soft dome tweeter pushed in

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Try a suction cup. With your hand you can feather the force. If it gets too much, just remove the cup using the little tab. You can get different forces by using different sized cups if you've got them.

There is enough opinion that a vacuum is overkill, that it probably is. A straw probably won't have the needed seal to be able to hold on. And... you should definitely be prepare to buy another one.

Good luck!

:)ensen.

I fixed it!

1st sucking it out with my mouth did not work. It did not move at all. I did not consider getting a straw. Quckly moved on to #2.
2nd tried the blue painters tape. Did not work. Tried the green tape... stickier. Did not move it either.
3rd removed the tweeter. And tried to open it up. Did not have the correct star shaped bit. So, I moved on to the central vacuum.
4th tried putting the vacuum close, within a fingers width away from the dome. Still did not move. I put the crevise tool... remember this is a 5hp central vacuum and I'm using it directly from the outlet next to the unit... Had another idea::idea:
5th placed a paper hat... one of the ones I got from a painters store that breathes ... on top of the dome. Then, I placed the vacuum tube (with no accessory attached) directly on the location where the dome is located. Took less than 2 seconds. The dome is completely out. There's a small little creese the size of a S2 square bit still there. I could try again but will leave it for now.

So, success was placing a porous cover over the tweeter and having a quick 1 second of suction from the vacuum cleaner.

Thanks everyone for your quick replies.

Al

I find tape to work the best, but it will only work if you place the center of a long peice of tape over the dented part of the dome, then use your fingernail to lightly scratch the center of the tape where it is touching the dent. This helps the tape grab much better. Then I usually pull it out fairly quickly, like taking off a band-aid.

Then I recommend rubbing Neosporin all over the dome so it will heal without scarring.

Re: Be carefil with the vacum. Thats a whole lot of nothing.

My kids used to put their feet against my Kans.
I was a bit cross when I found out, still, thats kids for you.

I got the tweeter domes out by applying my lips to the tweeter and sucking gently. Lips are good, lots of sensitive feedback.

Biofeedback technology is fantastically advanced...

Steve

As you've sucked out the dented in dust cap on the tweeter,hopefully it's ok.

Other methods of removing dents from dustcaps:

Use a fine paintbrush[clean and dry of course],and if the dust cap is made of soft material ,stoke it with the paintbrush,until the dent pops back out.If it's made of hard material like hard paper dome,then maybe using a pair of fine tweezers[like the kind u remove splinters with] would do the trick.

i could not find another thread relating to this topic, and i do not want to start my own, so here goes...

the dome on one of the woofers in my speakers has been pushed in (little brother :mad:). will this affect the sound? if yes, how can i pull it back out?

i have tried tape, but it is not strong enough. i am worried about using a vacuum cleaner.

thanks in advance.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

the dome on one of the woofers in my speakers has been pushed in

Assuming that's the dustcap it won't have much of an imact on the response...at least not an audible one.

Get the vacuumcleaner out and set it to Economy/Low Power, assuming that cap isn't trated with butyl you'll have the dustcap resored in no time.

If it is untreated tissue you can ply a small sewing needles' tip and gently pry the dent out.

Cheers, ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.