Help - My Speakers Are Too Small

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is my friends HT, worked on the speakers way back when and now realize they are too small.
Just picked up a new/used mtm center, so can use that and re-build the 3 set (have plenty of drivers)

Thinking mtm's with old drivers and the Vifa XT25, in 20 - 23liter BR boxes.

What's needed? mtm xo design, with the Peerless 832591/Vifa XT25.

Any help with a crossover design would be gratefully appreciated.

Woofer: Thlele Parameters attached:

Tweeter - http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/264-1016s.pdf

Thanks!

Attachments

• Peerless for HT.jpg
    Peerless for HT.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 745
  • 832591 5 woofer.pdf
    426.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Peerless for HT 2.jpg
    Peerless for HT 2.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 741
Last edited:
Oh I think some would be surprised if they heard some of them, no one can say I give up easily :cool:
The smallish BB set is the best here, what's embarrassing is they were here the whole time, at the bottom of the heap. btw, thanks to Sreten, I did turn the smaller coils - http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/242904-vifa-m18wo-09-08-revisited.html

The question here is clear, simply looking for a xo design using the Peerless 5" and Vifa XT25 in a 20 - 23liters mtm box; going to copy this box idea.

HT02.JPG

I still don't know what you're asking us. Are you wanting to know if that's a good idea, or looking for direction suggestions? Truthfully, no speaker is too small for anything unless the situation dictates it. We can't make that conclusion here because you have not said why they're too small.

* Looking for a mtm xo design.

* Helping my friend with a three set of mtm's for the HT. The black center speaker in the OP photo is a $300+ MS kit.

* Not much of a crossover in the small white ones, looking for forum help to re-build them. Looking back now, thinking the white boxes are way too small for that driver anyway (which is a whole new topic)

The HT room is in a huge basement, with acoustical tile ceiling and lots of carpet/furniture.

There's been a lot of discussion about the XT25, maybe it won't work :scratch1:

Oh yeah, they work and are in great shape; have plenty of extra's also.
I'll get on the baffle dimensions.

Thanks for jumping in!

The second part of this is that I just put three of the speakers (post #6) in my HT, really nice; never, never, had chair/room vibrate from mid bass - until now. But not the intention of the post.

Just a minor side point, but you realize the Horizontal MTM is a flawed design. Vertical MTM is fine.

Given what I see in the photos, I think three Vertical MTM make more sense than two vertical and one horizontal.

Next, it is no wonder the speakers sound like ...(not good)... they are on the floor.

Raise them up the best you can, then angle them upward so they are point at the listener.

Even with Vertical MTM, placing them on the floors is less than ideal. Put them on plinths are raise them up to the extent that the circumstance will allow. If possible, depending on the listening distance, perhaps even angle them upward slightly.

As others have indicated, while not shown in the photo, are Subwoofers involved in this system. Because that is where the weight and impact will come from.

In my opinion, the real problem is that the screen is too big. A wise person accommodates the screen to a good set of speakers, not the speakers to the screen.

But then, that's just my opinion.

Steve/bluewizard

Well there is that dip around 2,500, didn't know if that is an issue or not.

Had a set of these: http://www.madisound.com/store/manuals/HDS_xover.pdf
Always though they sounded nice, but the low xo point didn't work with a XT25 & 6.5" woofer experiment.

Yes the stands; they have "column" stands, just not shown.
What about the two vertical and horizontal center under screen, that's what everybody does.

Did some cutting today :D

The XT25 is really tricky in crossover design. Every time I try, all attempts to get a decent frequency response using a classic 2nd or 3rd order high-pass filter fail, great.

Fortunately 4th order works very well. Disadvantage is the additional inductor needed, but it provides the conditions for the tweeter to perform at its best.

Attachments

• SimulationODougboPeerlessMTM.jpg
    SimulationODougboPeerlessMTM.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 212
  • CrossoverODougboPeerlessMTM.jpg
    CrossoverODougboPeerlessMTM.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 151
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Well there is that dip around 2,500, didn't know if that is an issue or not.

Integrate the dip to the overall shaping. It takes on and off axis response data of of the drivers mounted on the final box, a calibrated mic, FFT, and CAD to do any real crossover job properly. Then subjective evaluation that could lead to significant changes or to just small tuning sessions.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The XT25 is really tricky in crossover design. Every time I try, all attempts to get a decent frequency response using a classic 2nd or 3rd order high-pass filter fail, great.

Fortunately 4th order works very well. Disadvantage is the additional inductor needed, but it provides the conditions for the tweeter to perform at its best.

It looks like the sim includes 3dB baffle step correction?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.