• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Help! Did my power cable blow his tubes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A mains cord with solid conductors is not a good idea IMHO.
Does someone on the forum know if it is legal in Europe or the USA to use/sell/promote such cables?
Common sense implies that a solid conductor could break easily and possibly cause a safety issue by loosing the grounding or even poking through the insulation.

PS: must be legal, I just found that Nordost have solid core power cables in their portfolio.
A decade ago, my first audiophile power cable was Nordost. And it was solid-core 16 awg, in clear teflon tubes. That's far more dangerous than my CE certified cable. My cable is thicker too.

This is a maker of power cables.

Most vendors come on here to boost their sales. 'Truth' seems to be bent on reducing his. I'm still puzzled.
Most audiophile cable makers don't know anything about electricity. Knowledge in engineering is not needed when designing cables, that's why I have forgotten a lot, because it's not needed.
What you need to learn first is how to terminate the cable properly, and use 3 conductors that are thick enough to do the job. Anyone can do this. After you know this, you experiment with different geometries and materials, that's what audiophile cable makers do.

A mains cord with solid conductors is not a good idea IMHO.
Does someone on the forum know if it is legal in Europe or the USA to use/sell/promote such cables?

Maybe legal but definitely not wise.
I tried to find something about it in the German (VDE) rules but could not find it right now. I do remember that there was something about solid-core cables only being allowed in places where there will be no mechanical stress what-so-ever (building installation etc). I am pretty sure a solid-core power-cable meant for plugging-in would not get VDE- (and CE-) approval here in Germany (being pet-safe or not), but I can't find it right now in the books.

Cheers,
Martin

I've never posted here before, but this made me post.

This is why the products are worthless - the people making them don't even know why or how they are making something. Their products are pointless.

regards,
Yes I can agree to this. They make the cables without knowing what they do, or why. I prefer to use power cables from hardware store, I liked it better than the Nordost cable I had before.

Maybe legal but definitely not wise.
I tried to find something about it in the German (VDE) rules but could not find it right now. I do remember that there was something about solid-core cables only being allowed in places where there will be no mechanical stress what-so-ever (building installation etc). I am pretty sure a solid-core power-cable meant for plugging-in would not get VDE- (and CE-) approval here in Germany (being pet-safe or not), but I can't find it right now in the books.

Cheers,
Martin
Almost all audiophile cable makers use solid-core because it gives better sound. I tried all cables from the hardware store, I liked the solid-core best, it was even better than Nordost's silver plated cable. Properly engineered cables are the best, they know what they are doing. Audiophiles are only lying to themselves, they don't really know what they are doing. At least I can be honest to myself, I have no idea how to build the cables, so I pick a cable from the hardware store, it's also the safest.

Solid-core wire is used for permanent installations only - in-wall wiring and such. It is not to be used in an environment where it can be moved, as bending it roughly three times will break it off. This can result in intermittent connections and arcing, which is a serious fire hazard. This is what happens with loose electrical outlets - which is one of the most common causes of house fires.

Last edited:
Truth said:
Most audiophile cable makers don't know anything about electricity. Knowledge in engineering is not needed when designing cables, that's why I have forgotten a lot, because it's not needed.
UK readers will remember the famous Gerald Ratner quote about jewellery. The rest of you can Google for it.

Truth said:
What you need to learn first is how to terminate the cable properly, and use 3 conductors that are thick enough to do the job. Anyone can do this. After you know this, you experiment with different geometries and materials, that's what audiophile cable makers do.
You may find your membership of the Fraternal Association Of Audiophile Cable Makers has now been terminated on the grounds of bringing the Association into disrepute. Trade associations don't like it when members give away trade secrets like this.

Solid-core wire is used for permanent installations only - in-wall wiring and such. It is not to be used in an environment where it can be moved, as bending it roughly three times will break it off. This can result in intermittent connections and arcing, which is a serious fire hazard. This is what happens with loose electrical outlets - which is one of the most common causes of house fires.
Everyone who sells audiophile cables don't have a license, because it costs too much to get one. I heard that it would cost tens of thousands of dollars to get a cable UL or CE certified, and that's why the cable maker didn't do it, I still bought their cable.

Truth said:
I have only put stuff around it. I haven't messed with the conductors inside.
'Putting stuff around it' will reduce its current-carrying capacity, so I assume you have performed thermal measurements or analysis to determine the new current limit? If you take something with CE approval and modify it then the CE approval stops until you demonstrate that it still meets the relevant Directives (Low Voltage Directive in this case).

You have done a thermal analysis, haven't you?

This is the point I raised.

I'm quite sure its not to Electrical Code to build extension cords from solid core wire.

I'd build all my power cords from 12 awg romex (solid core copper house wire) if it were safe.

All any conductor can do is degrade the quality of a signal or cause issues with the transmission of power.

With a power cord, contact area between mating connectors seems to be quite important
and making sure there is no oxide is critical.

'Putting stuff around it' will reduce its current-carrying capacity, so I assume you have performed thermal measurements or analysis to determine the new current limit? If you take something with CE approval and modify it then the CE approval stops until you demonstrate that it still meets the relevant Directives (Low Voltage Directive in this case).

You have done a thermal analysis, haven't you?
Do you mean that putting stuff around the cable can either reduce or increase the current-carrying capacity and therefore change the sound?

AC current will cause eddie currents in the conductor so thicker conductors will conduct more at the surface than the core, For 60hz and power cords, the gage is small enough to not be an effect at all, solid or stranded, braided etc..... However insulating or bundling the wires together could increase the wire temp to derate the insulation to the point to not being able to carry the rated current.

I am still looking for the hidden cameras! This is vaguely similar to an Ali G interview. (I don't know if it is available online, but the one with the little Egyptian boss of Harrods is a classic of the genre).

Truth said:
Do you mean that putting stuff around the cable can either reduce or increase the current-carrying capacity and therefore change the sound?
You would probably need to put a cooling system around the cable to increase its current capacity (water-cooled domestic cables, anyone?). Anything else will reduce current capacity, by trapping heat. I don't know about sound, but the smell of burning insulation might detract from listening pleasure. When the buyer's house burns down their insurance company might start asking awkward questions. I hope you have good answers ready.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
:wiz::joker::rofl:
Wow, how do you parody this stuff?

Well its just great (BS) :rain::umbrella: The more i read the more I know..

This has got to be candid camera..

The new single core live only supply system and variable voltage current control.

OK yes RFI and transient control, cable cross section and current selection, insulation and heating effect...armoring and earthing, even types of earthing, even fuse cap bypass on DC...but this takes the biscuit..

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.