• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Help! Did my power cable blow his tubes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sent my DIY power cable to someone, it has worked perfectly for months in my system. He plugged it into his tube amp and the aftermarket fuse blew in his $10,000 amp. He switched to his old power cable and his tubes blew, and another fuse. The fuses and tubes are worth $641, and he wants me to pay for them. Because he hasn't had any problems for 3 years, until switching the power cord to mine.

Is it possible that a power cable can do this?

First and foremost, I suspect the buyer is trying a scam.
Has he sent you any pictures of the amp ?
Is there any documentation that the tubes have been damaged ? Pictures of the tubes ?

This is really stretching it, but ...

typically the fuse on the primaries is of a slow blow type.
If he used a designer fuse - it was probably a fast blow type.
If that was the case, he probably had to use an over sized fast blow fuse
in a slow blow location.

Here is where I am really going out on a limb - totally risking a Hazing from the cable haters on this forum.

If his previous cable was an 18awg stranded junk cable,
and your cable was something in the order of 12 awg.,
I'm wondering if this would have increased the inrush current.

First and foremost, I suspect the buyer is trying a scam.
Has he sent you any pictures of the amp ?
Is there any documentation that the tubes have been damaged ? Pictures of the tubes ?
He hasn't sent any pictures or documentation.

If his previous cable was an 18awg stranded junk cable,
and your cable was something in the order of 12 awg.,
I'm wondering if this would have increased the inrush current.
My cable is 15awg solid-core copper, I think his old cable was thicker than mine.

Truth said:
I have been using balanced power for years, and been a student of electrical engineering, but I quit when they started talking about amplifiers, now I regret it. I have forgotten a lot of it.
The issue is not 'balanced power' (whatever that might mean) but complete circuits, which at 50/60Hz means two wires. If you want to distribute power using only one wire then you have to go up to 100's of MHz and have only very gentle bends in the wire. Oh, and big metal cones at each end.

Truth said:
Safety is what you learn first when studying electrical engineering. I know all those things.
So a supplier of fancy mains cables for amplifiers knows about safety, may perhaps have forgotten about circuits, and quit his EE course as soon as amplifiers were mentioned? You did include both live and return conductors? It may be just as well that the Unique Selling Point for these cables is that they are "pet safe". (But perhaps not 'amplifier safe'?)

I can't think how a mains cable could have blown up an amp, but I am beginning to think it might be possible given the apparent confusion of the cable maker.

He hasn't sent any pictures or documentation.

Sounds to me like the buyer is trying a scam.
Or the buyer has put an over sized designer fast blow fuse in a slow blow location.

My cable is 15awg solid-core copper, I think his old cable was thicker than mine.

I'm wondering if it is to Electrical Code to use solid strand cable for an extension cable ?
Is flexible cable is required ?

I work in a legal firm in Italy and even though I am not acquainted with the specificites of either the american or swedish civil juridisction I can tell you for a fact that most western systems do provide for specific rules regarding the burden of proof.

In Italy at least contractual law requires that the buyer prove the damage as a direct consequence of using your product. The burden of proof thus falls on the vendor as to the quality of the product sold.

In your case the vendor has failed to prove that

a) damage actually occured
b) what the damage is
c) that the damage occured as a direct result of using your power cord.

point c) must be intended as a mere temporal consequence and not a detailed analysis of the failure.

The vendor should have no problem to photograph the damage, provide a detailed description and/or provide unbiased assessment of the situation by a third party. Should he not provide you with any of these elements then you can rightfully reject any claim.
Furthermore you can demand the vendor not publish or mention anything related to the accident until said preliminary actions are taken.

Personally I did all sorts of experiments with my amp''s safety devices and spared no effort to purposefully cause damage.
I switched, inverted, shorted and varied every line or voltage rail leading to the amp and to my great satisfaction the amp is undamaged. The final count is around 20 fuses blown and a lot of time usefully spent. I call this success.

If shorting screen or anode lines on a 2500VA transformer with a 600w heater xformer fails to damage an amp built by an ignorant ameteur (just as myself) just how in the world can a professionally built amplifier suffer catastrophic damage as a result of a power cord being used?

Seriously, use your time in a more useful manner.

A. demand proof of the accident with a photographic analysis of damage if present or a detailed description of the internal damage if not visible
B. If tubes are shot then the buyer should not have a problem identifying the damage and providing some detail.
C. If nothing of the sort is done then reject the claim and wait for any legal action on behalf of the buyer.

Hope it helped.

In your case this would lead to

Alex, I think you have confused the situation somewhat with your terminology. The person who had the amp damaged was not the vendor. The vendor would be the OP who manufactured the cable.

In any case I think this is all a moot point. Both the manufacturer and the reviewer are 'audiophiles' who have bought in to the hype about power cables having an influence on the sound of a system. This is evidenced by the manufacturer sending the cable to the recipient for a 'review'. The reviewer is claiming the cable damaged his tubes and custom fuse. That the reviewer is claiming for a fuse that would normally cost a few cents suggests that his custom fuse was one of those high price audiophile products. These facts suggest to me that the reviewer has little knowledge of electronics. The posts by the OP make it more that obvious that he has no idea about electronics either.

So, you have two players that have bought in to the audiophile nonsense with little knowledge about electronics arguing about who is to blame. There will be no winners here.

To the OP. If you are asking these questions, you should not be building electrical accessories and offering them for sale.

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
Regardless of the mistake I inadvertently made (2:27 AM here in Italy) I still confirm what I wrote.

I tried correcting the message but the forum rules prevent me from doing it.

Just replace vendor with buyer ;)

P.s. in every claim there is a winner. It is immaterial if both are clueless as to the basic principles of electronics. :)

I work in a legal firm in Italy and even though I am not acquainted with the specificites of either the american or swedish civil juridisction I can tell you for a fact that most western systems do provide for specific rules regarding the burden of proof.

In Italy at least contractual law requires that the buyer prove the damage as a direct consequence of using your product. The burden of proof thus falls on the [buyer] as to the quality of the product sold.

In your case, the [buyer] has failed to prove that

a) damage actually occured
b) what the damage is
c) that the damage occured as a direct result of using your power cord.

point c) must be intended as a mere temporal consequence and not a detailed analysis of the failure.

The [buyer] should have no problem to photograph the damage, provide a detailed description and/or provide unbiased assessment of the situation by a third party. Should he not provide you with any of these elements then you can rightfully reject any claim.
Furthermore you can demand the [buyer] not publish or mention anything related to the accident until said preliminary actions are taken.

Thanks for adding this perspective.

Hope its OK with yourself if I copy this to another audio website site.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
In Europe you can use thin cables for high watts because you use both the live and neutral conductors, but in USA you use only the live conductor to supply the power, so you need thicker conductors, correct?
Not correct, no. In Europe you use higher mains voltages than in North America. Higher mains voltage for the same power means lower current, therefor smaller conductors may be used.

In Canada and the USA mains , we have one "hot" wire, a neutral and sometimes a ground. Neutral and ground are bonded at the breaker panel and at the supply transformer, so they are nominally at the same potential, ground. However the ground is not allowed to carry current, except in cases of fault. Current normally makes the round trip thru the hot and neutral wires.

Not correct, no. In Europe you use higher mains voltages than in North America. Higher mains voltage for the same power means lower current, therefor smaller conductors may be used.
Yes you are correct, I had forgotten about the higher voltage giving less resistance for the same wattage.

I was thinking about balanced 3-phase power where smaller conductors can be used.

A mains cord with solid conductors is not a good idea IMHO.
Does someone on the forum know if it is legal in Europe or the USA to use/sell/promote such cables?
Common sense implies that a solid conductor could break easily and possibly cause a safety issue by loosing the grounding or even poking through the insulation.

PS: must be legal, I just found that Nordost have solid core power cables in their portfolio.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.