Help! Diagnosing a problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone,

I just finished rewiring my amp with new wire. It uses a LM3886 x2 board for the left and right channel and an LM4780 paralleled for the subwoofer. Also replaced the LM3886 x2 board because I wasn't happy with my job before.

Before doing this, turning the subwoofer volume knob half way almost made the sub xmax so that it would sound like a motorcycle. Now I can't even get it that loud if I tried. Full volume now would be like 1/4volume before.

So I took some measurements. Somehow they don't seem right to me. But I'm not smart enough to know what they mean.

Between the Left + and the Right +, I measured 20kOhm.
Between the Left + and the Left -, I measured 38kOhm.
Between the Right + and the Right -, I measured 41kOhm.

First off, shouldn't Left + and Right + be open circuit?

But the amp works and the left and right channels sound very good (as does the sub; it's just quiet).

Any ideas?

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'd check the solder joints on your feedback resistors on the LM4870. also check that you have put the resistors in the right place. These resistors set the gain of the amp so if the lower one is too high in value your gain will be reduced.

Tony.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.