Hafler DH-200/220 Mods

Very Nice.!
i have made a few adjustments to my DH200 as well. I cut the fuse blocks in half with a Dremel tool & then mounted them to the Driver cards. Also using Quick Disconnects while i try different parts to save the boards solder pads.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Attachments

• SAM_1671.JPG
    SAM_1671.JPG
    546.1 KB · Views: 442
Last edited:
I decided to put Mundorf Supreme 4.7 uF capacitor (very large) but I come into possession of several capacitors of different capacities. Otherwise, being a combination of

Mundorf Supreme - Daytone
Mundorf Supreme - Wima
Mundorf Supreme - Arctronic
I hope the Supreme - Amohm if I manage to find some.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Now my first impressions, what I was pleasantly surprised midrange playing unreal good, the middle is so compelling that it's amazing, simply captivating with how easy this capacitor plays midrange.
How Middle extent this capacitor is very nicely behaved in the upper and lower part of the range, high is transparent and swaying a bass was extremely accurate, wide scene and depth adorn this capacitor.

Definitely Mundorf SUPREME one of the best capacitors that I had the opportunity to try and hear. After a few minutes of listening I find myself tapping my foot to the floor, I decided that there is simply no need to add more of a capacitor in order to achieve a better and more complete sound picture, sound was fluent and easy to listen to. My recommendation of the capacitor would be between 3.3 uF and 4.7 uF, HAFLER DH-200 has worked very well in the whole range however as you will see in the picture there is a very big problem to mount this giant capacitor to the proper place so that I think simply the best solution to make a PCB and then set somewhere as close as possible.

IMG_0391.jpg

Last edited:
WSJ...I noticed 3 aside in your output trannies and moved your heat sensors howsabout a schematic for that set up just the output section????
please, pretty please.....

regards, Elwood

It's a Hafler P 230. The only mod I made was adding the 1212 terminals and replacing a few low grade caps the previous repair shop installed in an attempt to repair the amp.

I bought it on eBay for $47, someone had spend a long time trying to fix the problem with all the solder flux on most of the board. Then gave up selling it for parts. It was interesting troubleshooting the problem. One side had a low bandwidth problem, when I removed the board for the bench test it was normal. Do you have any idea what caused the low bandwidth problem?

Hi all

I found a local DH-220 offer. Please, how hot, class-A wise, this amp operates?

Thanks

This was already discussed in this thread and there is no simple answer. First it can not run on full class A with +/- 65 Vdc supplies. The heatsink can dissipate about 50w max to get about 50 deg C if I remember we'll... So max output voltage may be in the range of +/- 25 vdc for full class A. Butbthis circuit is not meant to be efficient at low supply voltage....Of course you can set any level of class A - class AB that the heatsink can handle at a higher voltage.

Fab

This was already discussed in this thread and there is no simple answer. First it can not run on full class A with +/- 65 Vdc supplies.
Fab

Hi Fab

Sorry. I got to rephrase my question. I read a review on Vinylengine that says it plays best when hot (?). How hot is that, with stock AB set, comparing to a class A amp ex Pass F-1, F-5 and so on ? Class As are scary hot in my region.:)

Thanks again

I read a review on Vinylengine that says it plays best when hot (?). How hot is that, with stock AB set, comparing to a class A amp ex Pass F-1, F-5 and so on ? Class As are scary hot in my region.
The only few things that i know that work good hot, like my stove and an petro engine.
We are talking semiconductors here, there are warm temperatures that allow a long useful life span and then there are high hot temperatures that accelerate life, as to cause early failure.
I'd say have a listen to a TI TPA3100D2 or a TPA3116 and see if all that heat is really worth it?

Hi Fab

Sorry. I got to rephrase my question. I read a review on Vinylengine that says it plays best when hot (?). How hot is that, with stock AB set, comparing to a class A amp ex Pass F-1, F-5 and so on ? Class As are scary hot in my region.:)

Thanks again

Hi JC

I am sorry , I still do not understand your question :confused:
The sound of the DH-220 can not compare to a Pass class A amp because it is quite a different design. It would be comparing apple and orange.;)

The stock amp should be able to operate at a temperature of less than about 45 dec C or so - however I have not measured it - for 25 deg C ambient temperature.

Fab