Hadley 622C Amplifier Improvements

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I understand more fully than you seem to.

Remember I also come from a test and measurement background. I understand the minimal component type design of this amplifier. What I told you is fact and I won't waste my time trying to argue anything with you.

You are assuming no thermal gradients and perfectly matched components. None of this is true. If this design was as good as you think, ICs would be designed this way, and part matching is even tighter on silicon. Well, they are not designed this way. It isn't a bad design and I am not knocking it, but you seem to have blinders on. Cool.

I am also an HP fan, familiar with your meter. I have similar equipment and currently use 34461A and 34465A meters, still have my 34401A's, 3456A and 3457A meters. Meter movements average out noise, which you should know. Remember, I repair and calibrate meters and other test equipment. Arguing with me will not go well for you - except I won't waste my time so you're safe I guess.

-Chris

I understand more fully than you seem to.
I don't think that this is the case. The bridged design of this fully symmetric differential amplifier ensures thermal drift is cancelled. This is not hard to understand yet you come here and tell me I should consider it.

You are assuming no thermal gradients and perfectly matched components. None of this is true. If this design was as good as you think, ICs would be designed this way, and part matching is even tighter on silicon. Well, they are not designed this way. It isn't a bad design and I am not knocking it, but you seem to have blinders on. Cool.
IC performance is limited by the manufacturing process.

I am also an HP fan, familiar with your meter. I have similar equipment and currently use 34461A and 34465A meters, still have my 34401A's, 3456A and 3457A meters. Meter movements average out noise,
Not on a potentiometric-type voltmeter like the 3440a.

which you should know. Remember, I repair and calibrate meters and other test equipment. Arguing with me will not go well for you - except I won't waste my time so you're safe I guess.

-Chris
...which you should know.

I put the disclaimer above about the voltmeter to avoid someone trying to explain root-mean-square to me. You did anyway. I think your ego speaks for itself.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi hadley,
Okay, you're missing the basics completely.

Both the other two members above are also highly experienced.

You are focused on the design being perfect - which it isn't. Maybe some day once you have learned something you will think back and be embarrassed. At the moment you would be better served by being quiet, and studying like mad.

-Chris

2 mV vs. 5 uV - that IS bouncing around all over the place. The excursions are worse than the original offset. In an application where it actually mattered, if it drifted that far it would be totally unacceptable. Fortunately neither amount matters in an audio power amp.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 user
Hello friends, great to see Hadley name here. I hv the el34 pp power amp, sud be similar to marantz except using 12ax7. Also a germanium transistors pre amp. Just lovely aroma of the 60s inside. Both bought from ebay may be around 2003.
Hope to know more about Hadley.
3 years of locked down seems like a long time, emerging from it, the hifi field is very different, as if it doesn't exist, at least here in Singapore. Yesterday a second hand hifi shop told me my macintosh mc 2600 worth less then 3000 usd, which is a shock.
I have been clearing my electronics collections, so far throwing a way mostly cheap parts i got from China. Curious how my generation of hobbyist on their collection, i am 67 vintage 1956.
Very best rgds

William Lee, Singapore 2023, apr 27.

Reactions: 1 user
2 mV vs. 5 uV - that IS bouncing around all over the place. The excursions are worse than the original offset. In an application where it actually mattered, if it drifted that far it would be totally unacceptable. Fortunately neither amount matters in an audio power amp.
It was one slow ascent and then a single decline back to zero... with the cover off. Look at the design. Understand this amplifier is essentially an auto-zero circuit.

Hi hadley,
Okay, you're missing the basics completely.

Both the other two members above are also highly experienced.

You are focused on the design being perfect - which it isn't. Maybe some day once you have learned something you will think back and be embarrassed. At the moment you would be better served by being quiet, and studying like mad.

-Chris

What basics am I missing?

Let's recap the thread from the top:

Here's part your first post on this thread and it has absolutely nothing to do with the Hadley 622C:
That is so completely unlike a Marantz 500 it's hard to believe the same mind had anything to do with the two.
Even after you were shown the patent with Dawson Hadley's name on it, you continued to argue the point as if you weren't wrong.

Heck, the amplifier you presented doesn't even use a differential pair! One might argue it is closer to an NAD on that basis. :)
It does, doesn't it? Was that not pointed out to you by another member? Again, this is actually basic and you are the one who is again the party guilty of missing the fundamentals here.

Anyway, the critical point about differential pairs is that they should be maintained at the exact same temperature or as close as you can get, and the same is true when you attempt to match them.
The recent post was not the first time this temperature drift nonsense of yours was brought to this thread.

Your matches are probably not that good, but good enough for you. Close matched transistors will lower distortion and do sound better. For you, as long as it functions, you're happy.
Still stand by this? How laughably wrong you were with the "as long as it functions".

You haven't added anything constructive to this thread for ~18 months now. Clearly, you find the perfection of this design without all of the standard peripherals to be upsetting. It's probably best if you discontinue responding.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
lol!

Okay, I'm an idiot that has no idea what he is talking about despite my qualifications and approvals from both the T&M and audio world.

Enjoy your life. If at some point you actually do learn some of this stuff, you will look back and be embarrassed. My advise to you hasn't changed. Study your butt off and learn this stuff, because right now you are not aware of how this stuff really works.